Menu

Where do you buy your clothes? I'm a size 16 on a good day(wink wink)

and my clothes are looking POOR! I swear to you, I'm wearing clothes are 10 to 12 years old! and they are starting to look like it! I look a rag a muffin most days and I'm tired of it.

My girls are always dressed so nicely - I want to look nice too. We don't really have the money for a new wardrobe for me....

what do you do? where do you shop? I want nice clothes that are not too expensive and I need/want a nice variety in larger sizes(14, 16, 18).

thanks so much ladies!:D

My mom and sisters wear larger sizes. They like sales at Lane Bryant (mom, mostly) and Fashion Bug (sisters). Lands End has good clothes, but their prices are a little high. Sears carries some LE stuff and has sales. My mom likes Macy's sales and has found some nice stuff there.

I shop at the goodwill for myself. If I need something new, I like LE or Hanna Andersson (on big markdown only).

I love Talbot's...now you may think $$$...but not so!!! You just have to buy your clothes off season...which isn't bad since I'm in the South and we have a LOOONG warm season.

I have bought khaki cotton pants (with lycra) that retailed for $89..for less than $10! Twice a year they'll have a sale where they take 60% off, then the last few days they take an extra 40% off that! You really can't beat it! I can have a whole wardrobe for under $200! :)

Tara

I shop at Kohl's for most of my stuff - just wait for the sales. I also shop at Lane Bryant and Land's End (overstock store). Ashley Stewart has nice dressier clothes. For basics (pajamas, fleece sweaters and layering tees) I shop at Old Navy.

JCPenny's carries Liz & Co clothes which are really nice, but they're pricey. They also carry plus size Levis jeans and their own St. John's Bay brand. I like Macy's, too, but I wait for the sales.

I'm willing to pay a bit more (but not too much more ;) ) for well-fitting, nice looking clothes in my size. I think the shapeless, boxy clothing most stores carry only make me look bigger.

Edited by runamuk
spelling issues

If I want something fairly nice I shop at the unfortunately named

Dress Barn.

Geez, it's bad enough being large--I don't need to feel like a cow.

ANYway, that and JCPenney are pretty reasonable. Also, Woman Within has nice skirts--I have 3 (lt denim, dk denim and khaki) from them. They were $9.99. I got free shipping--they always have online deals. The shirts and jumpers run a little big--

They have nice clothes and they don't cost an arm and a leg. They change their stock regularly and are always adding to their clearance racks. They must change their stock every 6-8 weeks. It amazes and delights me that they are always keeping up with the changes in weather so closely. I also like that their stuff is up to date and not "old ladyish". I'm so tired of designers thinking that larger women should look like old ladies or wear sacks over themselves. There items hold up very well to washing and rarely shrink. There stuff is usually priced between $15 - $25 unless you are looking for dresses. They are mostly know for their separates. If I'm looking for a dress I go to JCPenney. They usually have a large selection to choose from. I also shop at Kohl's but always wait till there is a sale.

If I want something fairly nice I shop at the unfortunately named

Dress Barn.

Geez, it's bad enough being large--I don't need to feel like a cow.

:smilielol5: My DH says the same exact thing and has forbidden me to shop there (um, whatever!). But this video clip is so funny. You can watch the whole thing (he's hilarious), but at about 55 seconds in, he does a bit about the Dress Barn. Scroll down and click on Tim on Marriage.

http://timhawkins.net/video-audio.php

And to the OP, I hate to say it, but Eddie Bauer clothes fit me perfectly. They're definitely expensive though. I'm looking for alternatives myself and have been trying to get to The Avenue for awhile now.

Ah, just my size! My favorite clothes seem to always come from Kohl's. I shop their clearance racks & recently bought a skirt for my bro's wedding for $3.

By contrast, though, my mom bought some clothes for me on clearance at WM. When I found that I couldn't get a size 16/18 past my knees, I was...shocked. (I'm only 5'3"!)

I looked again, though, & while the price tags said 16/18, the tag in the waistline said size 8. LOL

wow! thank you ladies so much!!!! what an awesome response!

I went to Old Navy and Lane Bryant late yesterday afternoon - no luck at either place - Old Navy just didn't fit well and Lane Bryant - well....I didn't see a think I liked!

gotta go check out our local Kohls I always forget about that store since it's so new around here.

Cato's and Lands End sounds good too - I'll check them out online.

Thanks again!

First, I do half-decently at garage sales. The high school a couple towns over had a benefit for a kid that was paralyzed and we got a huge black trash bag of clothes for $10 and that included many dresses for dd and me, a suit for ds, and lots of other good clothes, some even with tags still on it!

Second, recently I started looking at craigslist. I was able to get clothes at $3-5 a piece, brand name, good condition. For $40, I finished out my wardrobe (well, except that I still want a blue skirt).

Third, I love Dress Barn most of the time. I also went to Burlington Coat Factory for the sales.

Our congregation also regularly passes around clothing. Take what you need, add in whatever you no longer want, pass it to the next friend :)

Depending on style and such, I wear a 16-20....

That's our code word for Salvation Army! She has a good one in her town, and we find lots of bargains there on stuff that looks brand new. Plenty of name brand things - Ann Taylor, Lands End, LLBean, etc. We just have to hunt. Of course, we only buy the things that look new, but still get them at such great prices! And as for used stuff, there aren't any adult consignment shops around here, but several kids ones which I love for mine. Again, the trick is to simply buy the items that don't look worn and used up - buy the new looking items! We have the best luck on used quality items in the affluent towns consignment shops (just look them up online).

HTH and GL! - Stacey in MA