Menu

3rd grade chemistry, logic & Latin recommendations

Noreen Claire

Ds, who is 9 and a 3rd grader, and I are doing some chemistry this year. No formal curriculum. Library books, MSB videos etc.

We are working our way through several books:

Fizz, Bubble and Flash (intro to the periodic table and some easy demos/experiments)

Naked Eggs and Flying Potatoes  (experiments, not all strictly chemistry, but very fun)

Edible Science: Experiments You Can Eat

We are also doing Sing School Latin. Very gentle intro. Fun and easy for him. We will transition into CAP's Latin for Children next year.

• Like 1

Next year for 3rd grade Chemistry we will be using Mr. Q.  We have used his life and Earth science the last two year and have really enjoyed them and learned a lot.

For logic, DS does puzzles like Mind Benders and Balance Benders.  He is also making his way through the Code Studio courses which require a lot of logical thinking.

Wendy

• Like 1

Chemistry - real science 4 kids was good.

Latin - song school Latin (very gentle)

Logic - variety from critical thinking company (as above). Also books to "prep" for IQ tests tend to be really logic-oriented. I prefer a lot of DIY games like IQ fit, qbitz (stuff from smart games company).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with NOEO Chemistry? I was wondering if I could just buy the $20 instructor's guide and get the rest of the assigned books from the library... Trying to do science on the cheap, IYKWIM.

The problem with doing that is that the books are generally spread out in such a way that you would need it longer than the library would allow...or you'd have to continue to renew it often.

Also, I think Chemistry uses TOPS (edited to say they are Young Scientist Kits I'm thinking of) kits.  I'm thinking of Chemistry II, so I don't know what their level 1 is like, but see if there are any other extras. 

(FWIW, my only NOEO experience was with Bio II, so other levels may work differently.)

Edited by tmstranger

We followed WTM for 3rd. It was the 2nd edition back then. I haven't looked at 3rd grade recs in the new ones. So we used the Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. Boring book, but worked fine, and cost like $8. We notebooked all of the experiments with it and had a fine time. Later dds took a class at a co-op using an expensive Apologia text, and I was so disturbed that we had already done all of the same experiments with our little $8 book, and now I had had to buy that expensive text just because that's what the teacher was using, lol. 

Latin- I start with Prima Latina in 3rd. I don't care much about it, but love Latina Christiana I for after that. 

We followed WTM for 3rd. It was the 2nd edition back then. I haven't looked at 3rd grade recs in the new ones. So we used the Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. Boring book, but worked fine, and cost like $8. We notebooked all of the experiments with it and had a fine time. 

I have that book out from the library right now, along with the book she recommends in the 4th edition. Both are online used for cheap. Thanks for commenting - everyone else seems to have bought a 'curriculum', rather than follow the WTM plan. This is what we will most likely do.

• Like 1

I have that book out from the library right now, along with the book she recommends in the 4th edition. Both are online used for cheap. Thanks for commenting - everyone else seems to have bought a 'curriculum', rather than follow the WTM plan. This is what we will most likely do.

We did WTM style science for all of our first go through in science. Any time I use WTM recs for anything I am always refreshed with how easy it is to implement and with how well it works. 

• Like 1

The plan is to do physics and chemistry next year and for chemistry I am looking at Real Science Odyssey for Kids Chemistry Level I. I am also considering Master Books: Science Starters Elementary Chemistry and Physics. You could use just the chemistry part, I suppose.

Thanks for the NOEO idea! I'll go check that one out.

• Like 1

My 4th grader will be doing Mr. Q Chemistry with Bill Nye videos, a Science Wiz chemistry kit, The Elements by McHenry, and activities from Scicnece Works and Inquiry in Action.

I bought a few books of One Hour Myteries plus The Great Honey Robbery, The Great Chocolate Caper, Logic Safari and Logic Liftoff.

We might try Lively Latin. It is my first choice because of the variety of activities and all the support online with videos and games.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

Anyone have any experience with NOEO Chemistry? I was wondering if I could just buy the $20 instructor's guide and get the rest of the assigned books from the library... Trying to do science on the cheap, IYKWIM.

This is basically what we're doing with Noeo Chem this year. It's worked well!

• Like 1