Menu

Sad commentary on voters

My ds6 found out the other day that he can't vote and he had a fit. He said, "I know about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights! What do I get to vote for? The Kid's Choice Awards?!" :lol:

It's very commendable that your son is thinking ahead. However, there has to be some guidelines, unfortunately guidelines are hardly ever one size fits all. Even though he can't get his voice heard through voting there are other ways (letters to the editor, blogs, etc.) Perhaps you can encourage him in that direction.

I have to agree with him. My ds is 14 years old. He has educated himself of the issues that face our nation today and he is totally disgusted with the "I want it now" generation for blowing it and causing this "economic disaster". He believes this attitude has jeopardized his future. He believes that his generation has more at stake than do the adults and it frustrates him that he is being denied a voice in determining his own future because the "adults" are not allowing US citizens of his age to vote.

Interesting perspective...I totally agree. :iagree:

Claire in NM

I am not saying that they should not have the right to vote. :001_smile: And I am not talking about people with Down Syndrome or that have had strokes. Gosh, do you guys think that I am really that heartless?:confused:

I am talking about the people in those interviews. College kids that are completely unaware how many senators each state has. People like them make up a huge portion of the voting majority.

My point in posting the citizenship test was to show what people who want to come to this country to be a citizen must know. Should we citizens of this country not have to know those things as well? In taking the citizenship test they are demonstrating that they cared to learn about this country. I take the right to vote very seriously and would not dream of taking anyone's right to vote away. I am saying that voting is a serious thing and is taken lightly by so many.

That is how I interpreted your post.

It's frustrating.

I don't wish to disenfranchise anyone who wishes to vote. However, what is voting? It is casting your opinion as to who should run the country. When you are not informed about how your government works, or about the candidates, or the issues ... then what, exactly, is your opinion? You're mindlessly granting power. I think that uninformed voting is stupid and dangerous.

I don't see how we can prevent anyone from uninformed voting. It seems to be a necessary evil of the process. However, I'd certainly love it if we could cut out this crap of urging people to vote, even when they're not informed.

But since it is a necessary evil, and one that I could not bring myself to do away with, I am not in favor of doing away with the electoral college. I think that the founding fathers were very smart to not set us up as a direct democracy.

I do totally agree with you here. Have you seen the Craig Ferguson rant about voting in this country? I don't really like him, but his monologue on this issue (he recently became a US citizen himself) was spot on. One of his key points was how upsetting it is that, as a citizenry, we've become so complacent that we have to be "sold" our own right to vote with all the Rock the Vote-type campaigns.

Yes. This is especially poignant when people who have never been able to vote are given that freedom. Wasn't it wonderful to see all the people holding up their purple-stained fingers when they'd cast their votes several years ago? We have forgotten what an amazing country we live in. I'm still surprised when I meet someone in their 30s or 40s who has never voted, not even in the presidential elections. We should all treasure it more than we do.

It's frustrating.

I don't wish to disenfranchise anyone who wishes to vote. However, what is voting? It is casting your opinion as to who should run the country. When you are not informed about how your government works, or about the candidates, or the issues ... then what, exactly, is your opinion? You're mindlessly granting power. I think that uninformed voting is stupid and dangerous.

I don't see how we can prevent anyone from uninformed voting. It seems to be a necessary evil of the process. However, I'd certainly love it if we could cut out this crap of urging people to vote, even when they're not informed.

But since it is a necessary evil, and one that I could not bring myself to do away with, I am not in favor of doing away with the electoral college. I think that the founding fathers were very smart to not set us up as a direct democracy.

You are sooo right. :iagree: Thanks for the post.

It's frustrating.

I wholeheartedly agree!

What?? And cut out large voter bases?? Yeah, when pigs fly. (And, they must be wearing lipstick when they do! :D)

I agree!

I have to agree with him. My ds is 14 years old. He has educated himself of the issues that face our nation today and he is totally disgusted with the "I want it now" generation for blowing it and causing this "economic disaster". He believes this attitude has jeopardized his future. He believes that his generation has more at stake than do the adults and it frustrates him that he is being denied a voice in determining his own future because the "adults" are not allowing US citizens of his age to vote.

Interesting perspective...I totally agree. :iagree:

Claire in NM

My dd began working last year (when she was 14) and she noticed immediately the taxes being taken out of her paycheck. She said if she's being taxed then she deserves the right to vote for the person she feels will spend her money the wisest. Otherwise, it's taxation without representation! LOL. :lol:

My dd began working last year (when she was 14) and she noticed immediately the taxes being taken out of her paycheck. She said if she's being taxed then she deserves the right to vote for the person she feels will spend her money the wisest. Otherwise' date=' it's taxation without representation! LOL. :lol:[/quote']

LOL! That's one smart cookie!!! :thumbup:

Don't you think that most kids would vote the way their parents do? I know as a child I had a tendency to take my parents views. Then I grew up and took my own views.

I'm not saying all kids but I think the majority would just blindly follow their parents.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of adults blindly follow people too.

Kelly

Don't you think that most kids would vote the way their parents do? I know as a child I had a tendency to take my parents views. Then I grew up and took my own views.

I'm not saying all kids but I think the majority would just blindly follow their parents.

Of course, I'm sure a lot of adults blindly follow people too.

Kelly

A good friend of mine has (had) her daughters in a Montessori school. One day the oldest came home, all enthused for Obama. My friend asked her about it, and the child said that at school, they had the kids vote on who'd they pick. All the kids voted for Obama. My friend was shocked; she asked how they came to that vote. The child said that after the teachers talked about how wonderful Obama is, they had the vote. Now, get this: When asked if the teachers mentioned anyone else running, the answer was NO. The child had never heard the name McCain mentioned during the talks and didn't know who he even was.

This came from a private school--one that promotes "tolerance" of all faiths and belief systems. Next month, the girls will be at a new school. The parents are LIVID.

A good friend of mine has (had) her daughters in a Montessori school. One day the oldest came home, all enthused for Obama. My friend asked her about it, and the child said that at school, they had the kids vote on who'd they pick. All the kids voted for Obama. My friend was shocked; she asked how they came to that vote. The child said that after the teachers talked about how wonderful Obama is, they had the vote. Now, get this: When asked if the teachers mentioned anyone else running, the answer was NO. The child had never heard the name McCain mentioned during the talks and didn't know who he even was.

This came from a private school--one that promotes "tolerance" of all faiths and belief systems. Next month, the girls will be at a new school. The parents are LIVID.

It happens in many places. Our local homeschooling group has a co-op and that co-op was doing an election class. I was reassured that they weren't going to discuss the current election at all. I know that the majority of the members of the group are Christian and I didn't want my sons to feel alone and that they would be the only ones voting for Obama. So I decided not to have them take the class.

So I'm at our homeschool meeting Monday night and the mom who's running the class said, "Oh! Our election class was able to take a field trip! We went to the election center / voting area, and all of the kids were able to vote! And the final tally was that 2 kids voted for Chuck Baldwin (the independent) and 18 kids voted for McCain. And, those smart kids! NONE of them voted for Obama!"

To say I was shooting laser darts out of my eyes would've been an understatement!!! I'm very glad that I kept my kids out of that class. My son would've been CRUSHED at her response / reaction. NOT that Obama didn't "win" but that he would've been referred to as "not smart" because he didn't vote for McCain.