Menu

am I the only one who . . .

gardenmom5

who constantly checks out the university to which their child plans on attending?

I realize I did it quite a bit with my girls - but they attended the same uni, so I did start to chill after awhile - since I had one there for seven years (they overlapped one year.)

now - I realize I'm doing it with the school to which 1ds wants to transfer for fall semester.   (it's his first choice - the question is money, but it will only be two years, not four.  so, we'll probably just make it work.  he's still applying to our local uni - it doesn't let his degree know until end of june, if you're lucky. but right now he feels like that is just checking a box to say he did.)

Well I don't...yet...since my boys are still elementary age! Right now one wants to attend my alma mater and the other wants to attend my husbands alma mater. I am curious if they'll stick with that when the time really comes. I'm sure I'll research whatever they do choose thoroughly.

Well I don't...yet...since my boys are still elementary age! Right now one wants to attend my alma mater and the other wants to attend my husbands alma mater. I am curious if they'll stick with that when the time really comes. I'm sure I'll research whatever they do choose thoroughly.

it also depends upon what they want to major in.   our local uni  does offer it. . . the one he wants to go to is ranked higher for the major.

the 2nd closest uni that offers his major . . . is in ca. over 800 miles away.  not. going. there.  

• Like 1

No. I'm leaving it up to him to check out everything about the places he wants to attend. I'm working really hard on letting him research and make his own decisions. It's hard sometimes (really hard!), but I'm just giving him a few tips on what to ask or research. The rest is up to him. He's a bright kid and has demonstrated the ability to exercise good critical thinking skills and good judgment, so I feel like it's time to start letting go and letting him fly solo. I'll always be his soft spot to fall, but he's got to try those wings himself.

• Like 1

I am with regentrude - i don't se what is to constantly check out?  I keep abreast of things going on in the university I went to, and I have a fond hope at least one of my kids might like to attend - but I live in the same town and have three or four friends that are faculty or staff there.  And mostly I keep track in case there are things going on I want to do.

Yes, you are. :tongue_smilie:

I did a lot of looking after ds had been accepted but before registration because, although he'd declared a major, he didn't think that was what he really wanted and was having a hard time figuring things out. I looked through the catalog to help him find info and to learn more so we could have better discussions.

Other than that I haven't really looked at anything. Maybe it's different because he's going to the local state U?

I realize why I keep going to different sites reading up on this school's specific program comparing it to others. Before he announced his major - I might have heard the name of the school once or twice in my life. Not enough to register.

His chief reason initially was location. His long-distance gf lives an hour away.

I wanted assurance it was a good program - for his major, it is.

It was my brother's dss's 1st choice for the same degree, but . . . .money. (he went to a much better known school in co where they lived. It was cheaper.)

My Dsil works in this industry (two different states and companies, multiple depts.) , and does encounter those with this degree from this school. He had a high opinion of it.

I know our local university well.  Unless there is a specific question, I don't see a reason to check on anything.  (Ds is planning on applying there as well.)

so do I.  my parents, dh, and 2dd all went there.  I was dragged there as a child to museums, concerts, libraries, my sister's orthodontist appointments . . . :tongue_smilie: (can you say - booorring) .etc.  I've dragged various kids there for things. . .

but that's not the one I've been obsessing about . . . (except about how stinking! long! they make you wait to hear back!  two applications. - ok,  I understand why. but the end of june/july!?!? the individual college - has all the power over admission. he's jumping through the hoops to say he checked the box.  otherwise he doesn't care.)

and how much it costs .. . .but two years, not four.

this afternoon, he sent off his deposits to hold his place for his first choice.  (hopefully it will put him up the food chain for housing . . )  

I realize why I keep going to different sites reading up on this school's specific program comparing it to others. Before he announced his major - I might have heard the name of the school once or twice in my life. Not enough to register.

His chief reason initially was location. His long-distance gf lives an hour away.

I wanted assurance it was a good program - for his major, it is.

It was my brother's dss's 1st choice for the same degree, but . . . .money. (he went to a much better known school in co where they lived. It was cheaper.)

My Dsil works in this industry (two different states and companies, multiple depts.) , and does encounter those with this degree from this school. He had a high opinion of it.

Those are totally logical reasons :)

Sort of. Dd is 9th grade, and has pretty much selected a university. It is about 45 min away, so I got us to tickets to see a theater production back in October. I imagine we will do another in the spring. I told her we would go to their book store and maybe check-out the library at some point soon. They offer an animation degree which is what interests dd, and they are close to home (something important to her). I have been to their website often. I have read all of the admissions info, especially the homeschool section. I have played with their cost calculator.  I am a little more 'on top' of her school then my friend whose dd is senior, but that is just my personality.

Edited by jewellsmommy