Menu

Common Application 2017-18 Essay Prompts

quark

I hate all of those questions. I know I am in a minority, but I find those essays the most difficult to write. On the other hand, I was looking at U Chicago supplemental essays and those look all sorts of fun!

7 would let you write on anything, even one of the quirky Chicago essay questions.

Ds's favorite prompt was "Take a risk" from Notre Dame.

• Like 1

7 would let you write on anything, even one of the quirky Chicago essay questions.

Ds's favorite prompt was "Take a risk" from Notre Dame.

It's the personal essays that completely make me freeze. I don't know why, but I can't talk about myself. I just can't. I understand the importance of it to colleges, but it's hard. Some of this can be cultural.

Chicago ones are just pure intellectual fun.

• Like 1

I really like 6. :001_smile: Only issue is some kids might have trouble picking one topic/ idea.

I am thinking that 6 might end up looking like math homework.

ETA:

This doesn't look as bad as Caltech's additional questions. https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/admissions-prod-storage.cloud.caltech.edu/Caltech%20Supp%20Questions%20%282014%20edits%29.pdf

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

It's the personal essays that completely make me freeze. I don't know why, but I can't talk about myself. I just can't. I understand the importance of it to colleges, but it's hard.

You and my DS both!!

It definitely takes a lot of brainstorming and thinking through and many, many drafts.

• Like 1

ETA:

This doesn't look as bad as Caltech's additional questions. https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/admissions-prod-storage.cloud.caltech.edu/Caltech%20Supp%20Questions%20%282014%20edits%29.pdf

Caltech's is not so bad, actually. But for some colleges (imho Caltech included), it really helps to have researched them well and perhaps even visited the campus or chatted with profs and alumni before attempting the essays.

• Like 1

It's the personal essays that completely make me freeze. I don't know why, but I can't talk about myself. I just can't. I understand the importance of it to colleges, but it's hard.

This was my dd. Those essays were absolute torture for her. I couldn't understand it, but she'd have preferred to walk through fire, I think. It was so bad that, after writing many, many essays, she just stopped. She refused to write even one more for a couple honors college applications and that "just one more" university I wanted her to apply to (*just* to see if she'd get in! Now I'll never know!!! waahhhh! lol)

• Like 2

It's the personal essays that completely make me freeze. I don't know why, but I can't talk about myself. I just can't. I understand the importance of it to colleges, but it's hard. Some of this can be cultural.

Chicago ones are just pure intellectual fun.

We've been having a great time with the U of C prompts!  (I have been alternating essay practice assignments - week 1, timed SAT prompt in cursive; week 2, untimed typed U of C or other quirky prompt.)

Common App prompts are hardtack compared to U of C's glorious cannoli.....

• Like 3

Oh thank God!  I was thinking "we better start NOW!"

It;s bad enough that many colleges have their own essays ("writing supplement" in addition to the Common App essay - even if they accept the Common App. There are still a LOT of essays to write. Some of the schools DD applied to wanted four different short essays.

• Like 1

It;s bad enough that many colleges have their own essays ("writing supplement" in addition to the Common App essay - even if they accept the Common App. There are still a LOT of essays to write. Some of the schools DD applied to wanted four different short essays.

Ok, so still a ton of time required. Problem for us is that the application season is in the middle of final exams, which count for 60- 100% of your grade. Not good timing for Southern Hemisphere kids. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1

Ok, so still a ton of time required. Problem for us is that the application season is in the middle of final exams, which count for 60- 100% of your grade. Not good timing for Southern Hemisphere kids.

Many Common App schools have their supplemental writing prompts right on the CA application. So a student can see what the prompts are as early as Aug 1 when CA opens.

You could make a practice account with an extra email and check out what this year's supplements are. I found having a practice student account really helpful in any event.

I really wish I'd made my kid write his essays as soon as they were available. I think they released the prompts in May last year. I love that they are coming out far earlier thjs year.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

ETA:

After having attended CalTech, I think these prompts so encapsulate the experience there! The student body is unique and so quirky, that it can be difficult for some to fit. If you fit, you are a lifer.

• Like 1

When is your exam season? Common App opens August 1st. First applications aren't due until late October; most not until December.

Most of the essays don't have to be terribly deep; the writing supplements are usually multiple short ones. Many are rather vanilla:

Write about an experience. Why do you want to come here, what do you think you can contribute. What obstacles did you overcome.

The actual writing was not so bad. It was the brainstorming about the main essays that took time - the Common App one, and the U Chicago quirky one. DD mulled them over during the summer trips. The short ones, one just has to sit down and write them.

Edited by regentrude