Menu

Help: Reading Curriculum Struggle

Moving Beyond The Page?

What exactly are you looking for?

I would like something that questions them about what they have read(reading comprehension, things like main topics of the book, problems/solutions, etc..) to make sure they understand what they are reading.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a textbook curriculum. Having 4 kids I don't want to have to prepare worksheets myself so I do need something that comes already made w/ answers, lol. 

Are there issues with their reading?  Advice I've been given is once they are at a 3rd/4th grade level is just to read read read.  Or are you looking for literature?

My 3rd grader struggles a little w/ reading comprehension but other than that no issues.  I would like something that questions them about what they have read(reading comprehension, things like main topics of the book, problems/solutions, etc..) to make sure they understand what they are reading.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a textbook curriculum. Having 4 kids I don't want to have to prepare worksheets myself so I do need something that comes already made w/ answers, lol. 

Have you looked at the literature units / lapbooks by Confessions of a Homeschooler? Here is a quote from the website :

"Each unit study contains educational lessons, activities and a fun lap book that your students will work on as they progress through the book. They also include book reports, vocabulary, critical thinking, story timelines, and comprehension. These studies are geared towards grades Kindergarten-4th, but can probably be adapted for older students as well."

You can buy the download for one book at a time to test it out. They're only $3.99 each. Most of the books you can find at the library. Here is a link to the online store :

http://store.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_76_90&sort=20a&page=1

• Like 1

I have used bookadventure.com for making sure my kids were comprehending when I didnt have the time to sit with them or ask them questions about it, it gives a 10 question comprehension quiz for most any book in wide range of reading levels. I tried a few quizzes myself and found them tough if I hadn't just read the book. It felt more straight comprehending and less literary, but it helped me know if they were struggling, was simple for the kids to use and provides some insentive through points earned for right answers

• Like 1

You might look at the Sonlight readers.  They come with discussion questions that you do orally.  Vocabulary words are also defined, and any associated mapwork is provided as well.  If you want literary elements discussed, that part happens in the Sonlight LA.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

• Like 1

Here is assssments and how to teach phonics to a 12th grade level, I have found that good reading and comprehension come along for most students once they are reading well above grade level:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

That deing said, my daughter did need explicit help in learning vocabulary from sentences, and I used and liked the 1879 McGuffey readers for that, the 3rd or 4th reader on also has comprehension questions, they are free to print or most libraries have the reprints, then you can buy the set if you like them.

• Like 2

If they don't need reading instruction and are in the "read to learn" stage, I would just have them tell you about their reader. I could always tell if they understood things by what my kids told me (did what they say make sense, if I asked questions about what a character did or why they did it, could they answer me, etc... I asked questions based on what my kids told me, so this worked whether I had ever read the book or not). We used a lot of Sonlight books, but I just had my kids tell me about their reading rather than using their questions, and that way we discussed what we were both interested in.

• Like 5

I have used bookadventure.com for making sure my kids were comprehending when I didnt have the time to sit with them or ask them questions about it, it gives a 10 question comprehension quiz for most any book in wide range of reading levels. I tried a few quizzes myself and found them tough if I hadn't just read the book. It felt more straight comprehending and less literary, but it helped me know if they were struggling, was simple for the kids to use and provides some insentive through points earned for right answers

I've been trying to bring up books to read on bookadventure.com but every time I click on a book it just pops up a blank screen.  No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Another vote for starting narrations.  It's one of the most important reading/writing skills yet it's probably one of the most neglected in education.

If you use Story of the World (SOTW) Vols. 1-4 by Susan Wise Bauer, the activity guides designed to go with them (sold separately) have narration questions for each reading. It's a very efficient way of integrating reading and history together in one assignment.  Most people can combine their early elementary aged kids together ETA: or thier mid to late elementary aged kids for that.  The youngest does a shorter, simpler narration and the older does a longer, more detailed narration.  Mom scribes what they say and they copy it.  Book 4: Modern Times teaches outlining to go with it.

There are other books by Susan Wise Bauer for just narrations at a super simple level and working up to more complicated readings, but I just used SOTW.

Starting Latin and Greek word roots is another really useful reading comprehension skill set.  We start when the kids are 5 or 6 using Rummy Roots, More Rummy Roots and English from the Roots Up. We do them as a matching/memory game with 10-20 roots per week.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 3

I've been trying to bring up books to read on bookadventure.com but every time I click on a book it just pops up a blank screen.  No idea what I'm doing wrong.

I found the same thing if I search for a book and then click on the hyperlink on the book title.  I think that page is intended to offer the details on the book maybe a synopsis.  but nothing more than that,  I did email them and ask what was up with that. I even tried Internet explorer. 

But if you have already picked a book. I didnt have any trouble taking the quiz. and the other parts of the site. 

• 1 month later...

We are doing EPS's Making Connections this year to explicitly work on comprehension.  It is an excellent comprehensive program with lots of visual support.  I can't say enough good things about the program for working on comprehension.  My son's speech therapist also loves the program.

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/literacy/comprehension

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/EPS/media/Site-Resources/Downloads/program-overviews/S-making_connections.pdf?ext=.pdf

I will have the teacher's manual and reader books available to sell by June for Level 4 (book 4) if you are interested.

It goes from Grades 1-6.  Grade 4 is Book 4, Grade 6 is Book 6, etc.

Edited by bluebonnetgirl