Menu

Can you stand another acne question?

dirty ethel rackham

I think we are getting a handle on dd16's acne.  We had tried many products, but we recently figured out that the benzoil peroxide products (many recommended here) were actually making things worse and we are having much better luck with the salicylic acid products.  A friend gave us some samples of Arbonne's acne products and she is having much fewer pimples.  She looks 10 times better.   Does anyone know of a good quality product similar to Arbonne, but not as pricey?  I can get the Arbonne at a discount but I'd rather not pay the shipping if I don't have to. 

Also, she has a bunch of red scars that she is self-conscious about.  I know that they will fade with time (and they already are to some degree), but she has a big event coming up and would like this process to hurry up.  Any ideas for fading those red scars? 

My ds20 had years of bad acne and has scars. We tried lots of products for both the acne and the scars and nothing worked. The acne has simmered way down since he turned 20. It's weird. I once asked about the red scars on this forum but I don't know how to find the thread. My ds wasn't willing to try more a more serious method like the laser treatments. The redness is fading but the pock marks are still there.

I know of Paula's Choice, or something like that, but I considered them pricey. I don't know anything about Arbonne. Paula's has both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic products.

My dd is on accutane for acne.  The scars on her back are slightly raised and white, but the Dermatologist said yesterday it's too late, they won't go away.  With time they might fade some, but you can feel it/see it.  I feel bad I didn't take her in earlier for help.  Don't discount the dermatologist.  In fact, it was reading others comments here that made me finally take her to a Dr to see if it was something more than the store products could handle.  I wish I had taken her earlier.  

• Like 2

I don't have a recommendation for an acne product but for the following oils are good for healing all kinds of scars, including acne: lavender, frankincense and especially helichrysum. I don't think EO's are the answer to everything but I and my family have personally had good results with these particular oils. Lavender can be used straight. Other oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil.

• Like 1

Back when I struggled with acne, choices were limited. Retin-A was a prescription drug (lotion) at the time. But, it worked the best at healing my skin and limiting scars. I think the same ingredient is available in OTC lotions now. Do check the side-effects of long-term use though. It has been too long ago for me to remember if there were any issues. 

I believe Clinique's line is made with salicylic acid. I am not sure if that is less expensive though. I believe neutrogena has an acne line with salicylic acid.

I used proactive for any years and while it did keep the acne under control it was extremely drying. I have found dairy, especially milk, causes major breakouts for me. Drinking lots of water does help some also.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming

Bragg's apple cider vinegar has been working for one of our daughters, the one who uses it morning and night. She uses nothing else on her face, no soap, no moisturizers. Her acne is mostly gone. She's been using it for about 6 months. 

She applies the vinegar to a round cottony pad, wipes her face with it, throws the applicator away, rinses her face, and that's it. Her skin is looking really nice. Clean towels and pillowcases changed frequently are a good thing too. Every time someone asks about acne, I will say the same thing.

She tried a few different things from the store, but nothing worked.

If the peroxide is making things worse for her, I second vinegar.  There are a couple types of acne - that caused by oily skin, and that caused by dry skin.  It sounds like she has a layer of dry skin that's not shedding off properly and then blocks her pores and the pores get infected. The vinegar not only helps the skin shed and scars fade, but it also restores an acid balance on the skin so good bacteria can grow and acne-causing bacteria are killed. 

If dry skin causing acne is the case, the most important thing is drinking more water. And with skincare: 1) clean with a gentle moisturizer (Ivory soap), 2) Tone with vinegar solution, and 3) try a heavy moisturizer, possibly with something like alpha hydroxy products or something else that increases cell turnover such as Oil of Olay's regenerist moisturizers.

The first time she tries this, water it down at least 50% and do it at night, because open acne will sting, and her face will get red.  As her skin heals (and it will, quickly), she'll be able to tolerate pure vinegar without redness.

If the peroxide is making things worse for her, I second vinegar.  There are a couple types of acne - that caused by oily skin, and that caused by dry skin.  It sounds like she has a layer of dry skin that's not shedding off properly and then blocks her pores and the pores get infected. The vinegar not only helps the skin shed and scars fade, but it also restores an acid balance on the skin so good bacteria can grow and acne-causing bacteria are killed. 

If dry skin causing acne is the case, the most important thing is drinking more water. And with skincare: 1) clean with a gentle moisturizer (Ivory soap), 2) Tone with vinegar solution, and 3) try a heavy moisturizer, possibly with something like alpha hydroxy products or something else that increases cell turnover such as Oil of Olay's regenerist moisturizers.

The first time she tries this, water it down at least 50% and do it at night, because open acne will sting, and her face will get red.  As her skin heals (and it will, quickly), she'll be able to tolerate pure vinegar without redness.

It's not dry skin.  She gently exfoliates so we know it is not dead skin.  We tried vinegar and it didn't work.  We tried many different preparations of benzoil peroxide.  Those made it worse.  Stress definitely makes it worse as well.  The salcylic acid product we are currently using is the only thing that has reduced breakouts.  But we only have enough samples left for about 3 weeks and the regimen is expensive.

I just hoped that there was a magic answer for the red scarring to help it fade faster. 

My son has some red scarring from acne. His derm gave him a retinol, adaptalene, that both fights acne and will help reduce scaring over time.  He uses it once a day and makes sure to use a sunscreen. The derm said he can use it very long term (like his whole life) to fight acne and scarring if need be. The derm said that he himself has been using it for years to keep his own acne under control.  My son has been on adaptalene for about a month now and the results have been dramatic. His red scars are fading quickly as well. His face looks SO much better.  He is also on an antibiotic to reduce inflammation etc.  If we want, we will follow the antibiotic with accutane, but at this point in the process, I am not sure accutane will be necessary.

But any retinol will work to reduce scaring and marking from acne...but they are all prescription medications.  There is also laser treatment, but that is quite expensive.

Have you tried having her not use anything except the vinegar? That's what my daughter does. Her acne wasn't one of the worst cases I had ever seen but it was ongoing and got worse during PMS. She has more of an oily complexion, but not too bad. 

I hope you do find a magic answer! It is so hard on them to have acne.

I like using ultra aesthetics (brand name) moisturizers. They seem to help with redness and scarring but everyone has different skin and your daughter's skin may not respond to it. It is kind of expensive to buy and then find out it doesn't work for your daughter. Grasping at straws...It helped with a huge scar on my chest. I didn't use anything else on it so I would assume that's what helped. It is a scar that I've had for 5 or 6 years and it is not raised now like it was and the redness has diminished a great deal.