Menu

Nursing Moms---dry up with 4 days away?

momacacia

I have nursed my 3 previous babies for about 2 years each. #4 is 16mo and nursing maybe 5x a day. I'm taking a 3.5 day trip in about 2 months and may or may not leave him milk. He nurses mostly on one side.

Am I effectively weaning him if I don't leave him milk and/or don't pump while I'm away? I have a great pump I could take, and at least keep what little supply I have up. What are my options here? I've never traveled away from a baby this early in the game.

I'd definitely pump at least twice a day for personal comfort if nothing else. And yes, depending on your hormones you could dry up and I've had babies wean over long weekend trips. It sucks when you don't want them to, but mine decided bottles were easier :(

depends if you want to continue to nurse - if you do, pump a few times at least.

he may or may not care about nursing when you get back. I had one wean herself at 15 months. (I didn't go anywhere, she simply was done nursing.)

I've never had one just quit, we've always kind of eased off to one a day then none. But 4 days can be a long time in their little minds. I'll have to think about this!

I was gone for 6 days when my youngest was 21 months; she was still nursing before I left but my milk had mostly dried up because of pregnancy. I was ready to wean. She did fine while I was gone but did want badly to nurse once I was back home. I didn't give in and it took about a week for her to finally stop trying to pull my shirt up.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

When kid #2 was 14 months old (still nursing at least several times a day), my dad had a stroke across the country, and my only sibling (only other close relative, as my folks were divorced and Dad was an only child with no cousins, either) was unreachable backpacking in a wilderness area, so, in a matter of hours, I was on a plane, alone, to go take care of Dad in the ICU. I was there 5 days that trip and 4 more a week later (rotating with my brother, once he got out of the wilderness). 

I had no prep time, and no planning time, and no pumped milk, etc. My baby was upset with me when I got home (wouldn't look me in the face for a few hours! It BROKE my heart.) BUT, my milk came right back, and he nursed for another year or two. Both times. No problems. No engorgement, either. 

I noticed that when I'd quit nursing (gradually, after months of 1-2 times/day nursing) after each baby, I still HAD some milk for MONTHS. I'm pretty sure I could've got my milk back easily, even after months of no nursing!

Anyway, that's just my personal experience. No guarantees. 

And, FWIW, it really was the hardest thing I've done as a mom -- leaving my nursling and then facing his sadness when I returned -- it was clear he'd suffered even though he seemed fine to Dad and the grandmas who helped while I was gone. I wouldn't do it unless you have no choice, personally. 

Edited by StephanieZ

I've never had one just quit, we've always kind of eased off to one a day then none. But 4 days can be a long time in their little minds. I'll have to think about this!

they come with their own personalities.  even as an infant - she ate to live. frequent small meals.  (as opposed to the next one who lived to nurse .. . . he hit me for six months after I weaned him. .. . :glare: )

and now that she's an adult - she still eats to live.  when she  was six - she put a piece of chocolate cheesecake in the fridge because she only wanted a few bites. she naively expected it to be there when she went back.  her 3yo brother found it (the one who lived to nurse) and said "oh, for me!".

the interesting thing is they have the exact same body type (my paternal grandmother's paternal line.).  tall and skinny. (1/2" difference in height.) I jokingly refer to them as my 'twins'.

I would still produce milk at that point. Definitely.

I don't know what your son would do or want to do, or what you want.

I think I am one of those people, but I leaked milk in the shower a long time (6 months at least) after weaning.

I weaned twins at 2 feeling it was the right time. They nursed to sleep and would have been happy to nurse to sleep some more I am sure! But after two nights they had adjusted.

Just a different situation though.

DS went on a "nursing strike" for 3 days at 11 months old. I had been planning on starting to wean him after his birthday (I am not someone who enjoys BF but do it for a year for the health benefits and cost savings) so I took advantage of the strike. Quitting "cold turkey" was super-painful and I begged my doctor for the dry-up shot, but she said they didn't give those any more. So I went around wearing cabbage leaves in my bra and being sore.

If you decide to wean, I would start gradually cutting back on nursing now to avoid the pain that I had.

I've been gone thatong and baby went right back to it immediately.

I was gone for about 24 hours once with an 11 month old to attend a birth. I even nursed him once in the middle. I figured I was fine. Ended up with horrible mastitis and actually had to send my 16 year old to the store on his bike to buy me a pump to help clear me out. Yes that's a real story. What a great kid I have :)

Moral of the story is to please bring a pump. You are likely making a lot more than you think you are.