Menu

starting planning for first grade....spam me with your choices!

myloveisasailor

As the title says, spam with your loves and hates for first grade that you are using.  We will be going fluid from k to first due to a move upcoming in the fall, so we will not have a traditional summer break.  Im starting planning now.  Need new science and history suggestions...preferably secular but doesn't have to be, and open and go type is best.  Thanks everyone!!

We had a ball with SOTW Vol. 1! There are soooo many projects and books for kids about ancient Egypt. As for its being secular, you can easily skip the chapters about Bible characters - IIR, there's one on Joseph, Abraham and Jesus. If you skip them, it doesn't really interfere with the other chapters at all, which generally do not have a religious slant.

As for science, we use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Bernard Nebel. It is intimidating at the outset, but totally lives up to its title. There are a bunch of threads on this forum that can give you some guidance on how to implement it in a homeschool setting. It's not exactly open and go, but doesn't require enormous amounts of prep, either. Mostly you just need to read and understand the lesson before trying to teach it, and any demonstrations usually use stuff around the house.

I use FLL 1, all about reading, all about spelling, right start, story of the world, and nancy Larson science.

Story of the world is easy to use and to get done each week. We add in extra books.

Nancy Larson comes with all the supplies needed. I am awful about getting science done. But I get it done with this program. And my kids enjoy it.

I also do song school Spanish. And some logic books from prufrock. And pentime for handwriting.

Writing with Ease 1, All About Reading, Singapore math for my mathy boy and Math U See for my non-mathy girl, Adventures in America for history, Home Art Studio, First Language Lessons 1.  All about Reading was definitely the best choice I ever made.  It spanned K-first and level 4 was the beginning of 2nd grade.  They liked Explode the Code.  I thought it was a waste of time but they clambered for it and history and science.  Science never got done.  I have no suggestions because all I tried failed except just reading.  We read lots of books aloud.  1st was a fun year.

I find that the STOW books seem to work out better waiting a year, so we start those in second.   We use living books here, so Year 1 for my daughter next year will look like this:

Phonics - Alpha Phonics and First Start Reading

Math - Right Start B

History - A Little History of the World and Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans, maybe selections from 50 Famous Stories

Science - Nature journal twice weekly and Nature Lore books (Olive Miller, Burgess, Herriot, etc)

Spelling - If she's ready, I like Apples and Pears, Spelling You See, and rule supplementation I do myself

Geography - Around the World in 80 Tales, Home Geography, and map drill for continents and oceans

Literature - Viking Tales, St. George and the Dragon, Tanglewood Tales, Just So Stories, and maybe a few from Parables from Nature

Art - ARTistic Pursuits (K - 3 set, book 1) and the Come Look with Me series of books

Music - recorder lessons and a few composers

Grammar - FLL 1, all oral

Plus Morning Time, weekly poetry tea time, daily copy work, handicrafts, and chess lessons

As the title says, spam with your loves and hates for first grade that you are using.  We will be going fluid from k to first due to a move upcoming in the fall, so we will not have a traditional summer break.  Im starting planning now.  Need new science and history suggestions...preferably secular but doesn't have to be, and open and go type is best.  Thanks everyone!!

Spalding for all language-related skills (reading, spelling, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing)

Mathematics Made Meaningful, followed by Miquon Math

Sing Around the World geography songs

Assorted Usborne books for science

I'm about to start first grade for the 7th time - but it's been a while so this will be fun 😉.

SL K: This means we read a lot, discuss, act out, draw about things we've read about, write captions etc.

LA: Learn to Read, Write and Spell (phonics books, she's up to book 4)along with McGuffey readers and some add-ons for handwriting. I also use SL for LA - which I really like - which involves some copywork, grammar, creative writing etc.

Math: Mathsonline and Easy Learn Maths combo. She loves math.

Science: SL Science K.

Art: Preschool Art. I know the title says Preschool but it has lots of fun projects using different media.

PE: Games outside, riding bike, going for walks etc.

Music: Piano and violin. I know she is 'young' for this but we are a musical family and she loves playing (and she seriously nags me for piano lessons. We outsource violin lessons).

Starting dance this year.

This sounds like a lot written down but, really, we read together and do a bit of table work, some music, an art activity occasionally and that's pretty much it. 😊

Edited by LindaOz

I liked:

Dancing Bears for reading

All About Spelling for spelling

Handwriting without Tears for handwriting

Right Start for math

Five in a Row for history, science, and art.

I needed short and simple. Tons of projects just didn't get done. Complicated didn't get done. This was just enough to get everything done without any fuss.

Link?

Thanks.

Spalding Education International

However, most homeschoolers prefer the fourth edition of the manual (Writing Road to Reading), which you have to find at suppliers other than the publisher. Also, even if you buy the fifth edition from the publisher, you only need the manual and a set of phonogram cards, so disregard the whole package thing. :-)

• Like 1

My last baby will be in first grade next year, so I will list my favorites for first grade and what I will be using.

Houghton milfflin math 1

Voyages in English 1

BJU phonics and reading 1

Steck Vaughn spelling 1

SOTW 1 with activity book

Mcruffy science

Piano lessons outsourced

Art lessons outsourced

Tball and soccer for PE