Menu

The Ski Lodge (aka Teachers Lounge) 1-19-2017

scrapbookbuzz

It's Thursday. 

I was going to type Happy Thursday but I haven't hit the 'happy' part yet. Just couldn't 

bring my self to type "happy Thursday" when I'm not quite there!

What year did you graduate from high school? Here: 1987.

What kind of music did you/do you listen to? Here: 80s music, obvs.  :coolgleamA:

However, I listened to other-than-pop music, too. Anything from 50s, 60s,

jazz, classical, etc. And whatever we played in Band or orchestra. :D  

What's your forecast for today? Here: chilly for here (although some of you

will think it's balmy). Only supposed to get up to about 58 as a high for the 

next week, if that. For Phoenix, that's chilly! Although we have had much colder

Januaries. A couple of years, our lows were down to 32*F but it hasn't reached that

this year.

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 5

Morning Scrap!

According to your post I am 10 years younger than you. :D  I listened to a lot of "angry girl" and alternative music in high school: Garbage, Alanis, Meridith Brooks...straight through to Third Eye Blind, Green Day..I avoided Hootie, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and all those happy pop things, though. :lol:

Today look like sunshine, but we'll have to wait and see!

• Like 5

Okay, so in the car, if I don't have an audiobook on, it's mostly some pop stations. On YouTube, it's a bunch of different things... New Order, The Real McCoy, Värttinä, O-Zone, Zupfgeigenhansel, ป้าง, Sa Ding Ding, The Byrds, Basshunter, The Bloodhound Gang, Kanye, Enrique Iglesias, ลาบานูน, classical music, Shakira, t.A.T.u, Reba McEntire, etc etc etc.

• Like 5

High School Graduation: I was homeschooled, but had I been in public school I would've graduated in 1996.

Music: Really anything except most country and some hard stuff.  It depends on my mood.  We have the unlimited music thing from Amazon and so some days I tell her to play jazz, some days 90s, some days hard rock and that's really how I've always been.  I of course loved the Lilith Fair type music.  And New Kids on the Block lol

Forecast: High of 71 and sunny.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 4

Meridith Brooks...

I met Meredith Brooks once.  I love her.  Still listen to her music.  She is seriously about the sweetest person you'll ever meet.  She autographed a picture for me and totally personalized it (referencing oxytocin - from Birthday - because we had just been talking about it).  That evening she made sure I was right up front directly in front of her for the concert.  She gave me one of her guitar picks and when she sang Birthday made a comment about me and knowing what oxytocin is and then later she dedicated Pollyanne to me when she sang it because we had also talked about that and how we both often were told we were just "being Pollyanna."  It was kind of surreal and something that just randomly happened.

• Like 3

Good morning!

I was in the class of '87, too - although I finished a semester early, so I actually graduated in December, 1986.

Music: I listen to a huge range of music. Eighties music is near and dear to my heart, since it was obviously the best decade ever for music.  :coolgleamA: I especially love eighties ska, like English Beat and Madness. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of classical music, especially composers from the Romantic era. My current favorite is Rachmaninoff.

Weather: Our weather has just been weird. December was colder and snowier than usual, which was fine by me because I love winter. The first couple weeks of January had lots of freezing rain (yuck-hate ice) and now it is warm and muddy, since all the snow and ice has melted. Today we are supposed to have a high of 34 degrees and rain. This weekend, it will be in the upper 40's - crazy!

• Like 4

What year did you graduate from high school? 1982

What kind of music did you/do you listen to? Then? Country 1984-2015? Christian  Now? Christian and Country.  :001_rolleyes: looks like I've come full circle.

What's your forecast for today? We're supposed to see a little sun today and high 41. Sun, any sun, would be nice.

• Like 3

1984! 

I listen to lots of kinds, but my favorite pop music is 60's and 70's acoustic guitar/folk music. I grew up listening to Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Pete Seeger, Dan Fogelberg, Carole King, Peter, Paul and Mary etc. I heard my share of 80's radio music too. I like Big Band music, the rat pack, some country and listen to lots of classical in the car. I like choral music and we listen to Fernando Ortega and the Gettys a good bit. Some showtunes here too. 

Weather is high 40's and warming to the low 60's today. But gray, gray and more rain expected this afternoon. Blah! Our winter is usually sunnier and colder. Of course two weeks ago it was 13 degrees here with a dusting of snow. TN is so erratic in the winter! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

I met Meredith Brooks once.  I love her.  Still listen to her music.  She is seriously about the sweetest person you'll ever meet.  She autographed a picture for me and totally personalized it (referencing oxytocin - from Birthday - because we had just been talking about it).  That evening she made sure I was right up front directly in front of her for the concert.  She gave me one of her guitar picks and when she sang Birthday made a comment about me and knowing what oxytocin is and then later she dedicated Pollyanne to me when she sang it because we had also talked about that and how we both often were told we were just "being Pollyanna."  It was kind of surreal and something that just randomly happened.

Can I just say I'm slightly jealous? Just a little? LOL

• Like 1

Morning all - just got back from picking up our food box. Unfortunately I think I pushed on a trigger point in my back walking home wearing a backpack, so I'm sitting here trying to get it to relax now. 

Graduation Year: 2002. Yup I'm a youngster. 

Music: Hmm lots of stuff, but it really depends on my mood. Everything from Garth Brooks and Pam Tillis to Linkin Park and Skillet. I am not a fan of rap or classical though. 

Weather: It's a balmy 55 right now, with expected high today of 70 I think. Glad the rain seems to have stopped. 

Working on figuring out dinner now. I have a ton of broccoli and cabbage to use up thanks to the food box, so we'll see what I can do with it. 

• Like 3

Some great music listened to by all, evidently!

I'm off to the chiropractor, thankfully. Neck is really stiff today. Plus, he

brought me some fresh-from-the-garden oregano. Yumm!

Some of you, I know, are praying types (like me). Thus, I ask you to 

pray for me today. Depression is trying to worm it's way into my head

and I need help keeping the door tightly shut against it! Thank you!

Okay, off to the chiro! 

• Like 4

I had a volunteer training session at the local women's shelter this morning. I'm learning so much about their addictions and the lives these women have lived! I pray God will help me make a difference there. 

What year did you graduate from high school? 1985 and I turn 50 next month!!

What kind of music did you/do you listen to? I am not a huge music person, but I like to listen to some contemporary pop, older country, some Christian (but picky there). 

What's your forecast for today? It's sunny and in the 70s. I had to turn on the AC in my car. I WANT winter! 

• Like 4

Back from chiro. Feeling much better! thanks!

After English gets done today, I plan on making my tincture (extract) for my herbalist course,

which I have fun referring to as "Herbology." B-)

I actually may be making two:

*a mint/calendula tincture for indigestion and

*an oregano one (my brain is not forthcoming at the moment with the benefit here but I 

know there is one! Oh, yeah, Alzheimer's  ;) ,

inflammation, and one or two other things.)

• Like 4

I had trouble getting motivated to make dinner, too.  I finally did it and it's almost ready and now I'm the only one here.  Jamie took the little guys to the pinewood derby (I hate those things and avoid them if I can) and the big ones are still at work.

I cheated for dinner - made a big lunch and we'll have leftovers for dinner, plus steamed broccoli. 

Daughter is yet again not finished with her schoolwork. She has until 5pm tomorrow or she loses the chance to go to the American Girl Store for good, as they close the 28th. Is it terrible I want to let her go anyways?

• Like 1

My daddy came down from TN, so that was good motivation for dinner: mashed potatoes, broccoli, rolls, and a favorite frozen salmon we love. I'm not much of a seafood person, so I was glad when I found a salmon I actually liked. It's wild caught, so hopefully it's half-way good for me. 

• Like 2

After English gets done today, I plan on making my tincture (extract) for my herbalist course,

which I have fun referring to as "Herbology." B-)

When I asked Ds last summer what he wanted to study in science this year he said, "Potions!"  So we are doing kitchen chemistry. Very fun. 

• Like 2

I cheated for dinner - made a big lunch and we'll have leftovers for dinner, plus steamed broccoli. 

Daughter is yet again not finished with her schoolwork. She has until 5pm tomorrow or she loses the chance to go to the American Girl Store for good, as they close the 28th. Is it terrible I want to let her go anyways?

No, that is not terrible. I do stuff like that all the time. 

I do the cook big at lunch and coast on it for dinner deal too. 

• Like 1

I tried a couple of new recipes from a cookbook I borrowed from the library (DK Children's Cookbook - Eat your greens reds yellows and purples). I made black bean and guacamole quesadillas, and layered berry cheesecakes (Broccoli helped make the cheesecakes). Neither kid liked the quesadillas, but they're picky eaters. Broccoli liked the cheesecake, and since Celery didn't get to try the cheesecakes since he literally took only one bite of the quesadillas (oh, n/m... he finally ate 1/4 of the quesadilla, so he's getting his dessert now - and... he doesn't like the cheese part of the cheesecake, but likes the rest).

• Like 1