Menu

What do I need to decorate this cake?

Bluegoat

My two cents:

Frosting that dark can start to taste terrible because of the amount of coloring.

Iiwm, I'd use fondant for looks then take if off for serving and have a piping bag of frosting to add frosting to each piece. (If the amount of frosting under the fondant isn't enough.)

Again, just my two cents!

• Like 3

Hmm, yes, I have had nasty tasting dark frosting.  I was hoping there might be some colour I could use that would taste ok.  I don't really mind if its somewhat lighter than the real thing, but if I use the food colouring I have I know it will look pastel, which is just not right.

my dd is currently into a French ?buttercream? frosting (*without* corn syrup recipe).  I don't know if it will take a more intense color or not.

use the paste food coloring you can buy in craft or restaurant quality supply stores.

eta: you could do a marzipan that would take an intense blue.  roll it into a sheet and place it over the tardis (frosted with buttercream and chilled first)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Hmmm... I've got pretty bright colours with gel colouring and no bad taste.  I was under the impression that the biggest offenders of gross tasting food colouring are red and black.  I've seen 'no taste' red to try to combat that. Maybe make a small batch in the colour you like and see if it tastes off. You use a pin head, or the tip of knife, to add gel colouring so you add very, very little for a good amount of colouring.  I'm sure there is a nice bright blue you can find. I personally would test run it.

I would be more concerned with the texture of buttercream vs fondant...but that would be really not very concerned. I also don't like fondant and would be fine with buttercream.  I might try the marshmallow fondant, though. I've been dying to try that for a while now. But I could also live without the smooth sides.

• Like 1

my dd is currently into a French ?buttercream? frosting (*without* corn syrup recipe). I don't know if it will take a more intense color or not.

use the paste food coloring you can buy in craft or restaurant quality supply stores.

eta: you could do a marzipan that would take an intense blue. roll it into a sheet and place it over the tardis (frosted with buttercream and chilled first)

We have used the gel/paste coloring you get in Michael's or AC Moore. It doesn't dilute the frosting the way a liquid color would. Frosting is ordinary stuff from a can in the cake mix aisle,

I've used just about every color, including bright blue. No taste that anyone noticed.

Use Gel/Past food coloring-- NOT the liquid from the grocery store!  My favorite brand is AmeriColor, but Wilton is fine too.

Previous poster was correct-- Royal Blue with a touch of Navy.

I made one a few years ago using marshmallow fondant-- easy to make the windows/doors as fondant sticks to itself with a tiny touch of water for 'glue' (I cut using pizza wheel or Exact-o knife).

If you are stacking square cakes to make a tower make sure to use a dowel rod for support (pushed through from top to bottom and then cut even with top before icing)... if you don't it has a good chance of tipping over.   If it feels a bit wobbly then after every 2 layers of cake add a piece of cardboard cut to size of cake -- 2 layers cake/cardboard/2 layers of cake/cardboard/2 layers of cake... this also makes it easy to serve in 'normal portions'.  You can add a hole to the center of the cardboards for the dowel to go through...

• Like 3