Menu

Immersion blender questions

Alessandra

I have been wondering if I should get an immersion blender, but my biggest concern is whether or not the blades would scratch or damage a pot -- say if I were blending soup in a Le Creuset pot.

Does the immersion blender produce a better texture than blending in a food processor? (I have a food processor, but not a blender.)

Brands?

I agree, an immersion blender would not scratch a pot. The big benefit to the immersion blender is that you don't have to transfer hot liquids to a food processor or blender and then back to a pot.

I would suggest that you get one where the base detaches and can go into the dishwasher. It is much easier to clean than the one piece models.

• Like 1

As others have said, the blades don't come in contact with the pot. The blades are raised up inside the housing and work by creating a vortex.

My immersion blender is a plastic Braun (works great) that was one of dear wife's fantastically cheap thrift-store finds.

At first, I wondered if a metal housing would be better, particularly with hot soups.

But the Braun has survived years of use without a problem.

Would an immersion blender with a metal housing scratch Le Creuset? Can't say. It would be the base (bottom) not the blades that would be the issue.

Bill

• Like 1

The blades are up inside a cupped metal housing. Mine has a scalloped bottom to prevent suction from forming. I suppose you could scratch the bottom of a nonstick pot if you scraped the metal housing across it. I use mine in stainless and enameled cast iron and have never had an issue.

• Like 1