Menu

Length of School Profile and Counselor Letter

What are the average lengths?  I finished my school profile today, and have one day to get the counselor letter done (I know, I know).  I did a search and found one thread in which people were posting about very lengthy school profiles.  Mine is 1.5 pages long.  I used this one, from the college board, as a guide https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/counseling/profile/sample , along with the 2 page sample from Jeannette Webb. Is everyone up here writing really long profiles? 

Also wondering about counselor letters.  Average length?

• Like 1

My school profile was very similar to sample public school ones in length - 1.5 pages. I highlighted a few things that did not show up elsewhere, but I tried not to repeat a bunch of information.

My counselor letter was one page single spaced. I would try to keep it to one page, with a two page max. If it gets too long, people get tired of reading it.

• Like 2

School profile 2 pages

Counselor letter 1 page

Transcript 2 pages. Front a standard transcript by subject. Back a chronological listing that showed grade weighting in detail.

Course descriptions about 12 pages.

Are the other places describing something that includes course descriptions?

• Like 2

A friend wrote a long profile. I am not sure why but perhaps she felt she had to explain unusual circumstances. Eta: I believe she might have combined profile and counselor letter as one doc.

Ours was 2 pages but I added one more which was just a list of all of our outsourced providers and a quick bio of each. We outsourced a lot!

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

Whew! Glad I asked.  

My transcript is 1 page, my school profile is 1.5 pages, my counselor letter is 1.25 pages (I'm not quite done, but with our school letterhead taking up some room at the top of the page, I think it will be 1.25), and my course descriptions document is 10 pages.

I found the other thread with a topic search, and it had me alarmed. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Do you need to put the number of students on school profile? Since I have twin daughters, do I need to list them in the profile? I am worried if they apply to the same school, will the school look at both and compare with each other?

You don't need to list the number of students on the profile, but the school is comparing applications of all applicants, so of course they will be comparing your daughters to one another. Having two applicants with the same last name from the same address will not go unnoticed.