Menu

Off topic and not really relevant to anything at WTM ...

... but I had to tell someone.

My grandmother died yesterday morning. I am sad about it, but she felt it was "time," so I am not devastated.

However, it got me thinking about my father-in-law, who died recently. I thought about him a lot yesterday and was really missing him.

He was very opposed to our adoptions, both because they were adoptions and because the children are of a different race.

I wrote to my mother-in-law last night to let her know that I had been thinking about FIL all day, and I told her that I appreciated that, even though we was unhappy about our adoptions, he was always very nice to the kids.

I just got an email from her this morning. She told me a story I didn't know.

Apparently, my FIL had told my MIL that he was very worried about putting up our family picture at his office. He was worried about what his co-workers would think about our multi-racial family. Apparently, after much consternation, he put up a picture anyway. According to my MIL, a few weeks later, a co-worker stopped by his office and said that he was very happy to see our family picture in my FIL's office. He told my FIL that his daughter and her husband were adopting from China and he was not very happy about it and he felt uncomfortable with a mixed-race family, but seeing that my FIL was obviously very proud of our family made him feel better. Apparently, the man then brought in a picture of the baby his daughter was adopting and displayed it in his office.

At a somewhat crummy time, that story gave me a real lift. :001_smile:

Tara

:grouphug:

I'm sorry for your losses.

What a nice story to hear about your FIL. I wish you could have known while he was still here, but I also know how precious it is to learn new and surprising things about those who are gone. For me, it is a reminder of how they will forever play a part in our lives.

My grandmother died yesterday morning. I am sad about it, but she felt it was "time," so I am not devastated.

However, it got me thinking about my father-in-law, who died recently. I thought about him a lot yesterday and was really missing him.

He was very opposed to our adoptions, both because they were adoptions and because the children are of a different race.

I wrote to my mother-in-law last night to let her know that I had been thinking about FIL all day, and I told her that I appreciated that, even though we was unhappy about our adoptions, he was always very nice to the kids.

Apparently, my FIL had told my MIL that he was very worried about putting up our family picture at his office. He was worried about what his co-workers would think about our multi-racial family. Apparently, after much consternation, he put up a picture anyway. According to my MIL, a few weeks later, a co-worker stopped by his office and said that he was very happy to see our family picture in my FIL's office. He told my FIL that his daughter and her husband were adopting from China and he was not very happy about it and he felt uncomfortable with a mixed-race family, but seeing that my FIL was obviously very proud of our family made him feel better. Apparently, the man then brought in a picture of the baby his daughter was adopting and displayed it in his office.

Tara

What a nice story!! I'm sorry for your loss. My grandma is 88 and I am so crazy about her. I can't stand the thought of losing her yet!! :grouphug::grouphug:

You know, I don't think anything is really off-topic around here, and certainly not wonderful stories about how our children change the lives of our loved ones, which yours obviously did.

I miss my grandmother like heck. She died 15 years ago, and sometimes I pick up the phone, still, to call her, before I remember. Sometimes she is so present with me, I can almost smell her old-lady powder. Grandmothers are super important, and I'm so sorry about yours.

Thank you for sharing that story. I often feel so privileged to hear stories on this board, and this one will go on my list of special ones.

Tara

Sorry about your grandmother's passing. And thank you for the beautiful story. :grouphug: