Menu

Environmental Service Projects

mommymonster

For 2017, our family would like to become more environmentally active. As part of this goal, we are going to do monthly "environmentally friendly" projects with our homeschool play/social group. The group is basically 8-14 year olds, some of which live in houses and other rent (applicable only because of the nature of projects). We live in the Pacific Northwest in a larger city.

• In January, we will build birdhouses for our local park and recreation area (and anyone who has a yard that wants to hang one up). DH is woodworking guy, and will also do safety and basic tool use with the kiddos.
  • In February, we'll do trash pick ups at local parks. 
  • In March, I'm thinking we'll tour a recycling facility and increase our recycling and composting efforts. 

I'd like to do group projects monthly (or so). Our goals would be (i) do things to help the environment; (ii) learn about environmental issues; and (iii) learn hands-on skills. Often times when I'm looking at "environmental projects for middle schoolers," the things that come up are games, talks, watching videos. All are great, but I'd really like to get more hands-on. DH would love to be able to teach kiddos to build useful things (he's an engineer and woodworker).

I would love more ideas! 

• Like 1

What a neat idea.

We've done trail maintenance days with both AMC (away from home) and at state and local parks at home -- puts teenage brawn and pent up energy to good use and has taught be a little bit about run-off and drainage that I've then applied to the "gardens" (rather, um, loose term) here at home.

Also done spring cleanup for our marvelous community garden -- we're away too much during the summer to get a plot, but I like to support it.

If you have nature centers in your area, they often have family days focusing on particular aspects -- identifying footprints and/or poop, leaves & bark, bones & teeth; invasive species, etc.

Visiting the recycling center is a terrific idea -- when our kids were in Montessori school that was one of the annual field trips, and it was so awesome we used to take visitors there as well... which I'd totally forgotten until your mention!!  Ours happens to be close to an Audubon refuge, so the two made a great day.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! They are great additions to the list. 

I was looking online, and we may add bat houses, mason bee houses, and bird feeders to the mix, in addition to invasive species removal, tree planting, and trail maintenance. I'm really looking forward to this adventure! Please keep the ideas coming!

• Like 1

In addition to workdays to remove invasive species, our nature center has days in the fall to collect seeds from native plants.  Another center collects monarch caterpillars and then tags the butterflies before releasing--kids help collect and then come back to tag.

• Like 2

Check out the Hornaday Award through the Boy Scouts. You should get a lot of projects ideas with those resources.

I think this is a lovely idea and hope you find lots of things to do.

You might be interested in seeing if you have a Leave No Trace trainer in your area. There are lots of great ideas for teaching LNT principles to a group with varied ages. 

https://lnt.org/

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 1