Menu

Science-based novels for kids

Earthmerlin

Hi there. I'm looking for read aloud titles that weave science topics throughout. We've got a few math-based fiction books which have been welcomed by my 7 year old so I thought I'd try to see if there are science-based ones as well. She loves both science & math & we've found that literature can help expand our knowledge of these topics in an engaging & light-hearted way. Ideas?

We have a few of the Magic School Bus Chapter Books. They are around 8 chapters long and involve the Frizz going on a adventure with her class. My 7 year old son likes them. They have the kids reports in the chapters and a list of questions in the back of the book. At co-op we lapbooked the Rock one. There was a free template at www.yeeshallknow.com .
This might be one option for you. I would love to hear about other science based stories.  :)

Edited by Kharisma
  • Like 2

We have a few of the Magic School Bus Chapter Books. They are around 8 chapters long and involve the Frizz going on a adventure with her class. My 7 year old son likes them. They have the kids reports in the chapters and a list of questions in the back of the book. At co-op we lapbooked the Rock one. There was a free template at www.yeeshallknow.com .

This might be one option for you. I would love to hear about other science based stories. :)

Thanks for this! I had forgotten those as an independent read. I'll definitely put those in her rotation--she loves the quirkiness of Ms Frizzle!

I'd love to hear more ideas regarding read alouds--titles we can both share together. My personal interest is space but hers is weather. She also loves mysteries lately. Honestly though, any factual science topic set in fiction would probably be a hit around here.

Here are a few links to book lists:

Fiction

Science Themed Novels -- a list from the American Library Association, grouped by science topic

Funny Science-y Math-y Chapter Books for Kids -- a list from the Pragmatic Mom Education Matters blog

Math and Science Chapter Books -- a list from Good Reads Listopia

Non-Fiction

Readable Science -- a list of elememary-age books from Penny Gardner

Outstanding Science Trade Books -- an annual book list from the National Science Teachers Association

Mixed (Fiction/Non-Fiction)

Science -- The Best Children's Books, lists by subject (large number of informative picture books)

Science -- Science Through Books, Carol Hurst's Books in the Classroom, listed by subject

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

At the same reading level as the Magic Schoolbus chapter books, there's the Andrew Lost books. Those are all science themed. Both of them are the right level for most 7 yos, but you'd want to do them soon, I think. There may be some other early chapter books as well... That stuff changes quickly and it's a growing market.

I haven't read the Quark Chronicles, but several people like those. We did try the Sassafras Science series. I wasn't impressed, but as a read aloud for a 7 yo, it might be okay. There were a lot of grammatical errors and the plot and the science weren't well integrated.

There aren't a ton of good science novels. I'd wait on the George's Secret Key books. They're good and the plots are really simple, but the science gets pretty heady pretty fast. Some 7 yos might be up for it - especially the first book - but most probably wouldn't be - especially the last one.

There are a lot of good nature themed novels though. Some good read aloud ones for that age might include...

Owls in the Family

My Side of the Mountain (and the sequels)

One Day in series by Jean Craighead George

Gone Away Lake (and the sequels)

Nim's Island

And, as an offshoot of that, there are also a lot of animal books. So things like Poppy or Misty of Chincoteague could be part of an animal study.

And then you can always take a novel and build up the science around it, Like, read The Twenty-One Balloons and study volcanoes, hot air balloons and diamonds. Or read some science fiction like Journey to the Mushroom Planet and then do a sort of takeoff on it.

And there are more for older. The two Calpurnia Tate books are amazing. And there's more nature books like Hatchet that are better for slightly older. And there's a lot more science fiction as kids get older - things like A Wrinkle in Time.

At the same reading level as the Magic Schoolbus chapter books, there's the Andrew Lost books. Those are all science themed. Both of them are the right level for most 7 yos, but you'd want to do them soon, I think. There may be some other early chapter books as well... That stuff changes quickly and it's a growing market.

I haven't read the Quark Chronicles, but several people like those. We did try the Sassafras Science series. I wasn't impressed, but as a read aloud for a 7 yo, it might be okay. There were a lot of grammatical errors and the plot and the science weren't well integrated.

There aren't a ton of good science novels. I'd wait on the George's Secret Key books. They're good and the plots are really simple, but the science gets pretty heady pretty fast. Some 7 yos might be up for it - especially the first book - but most probably wouldn't be - especially the last one.

There are a lot of good nature themed novels though. Some good read aloud ones for that age might include...

Owls in the Family

My Side of the Mountain (and the sequels)

One Day in series by Jean Craighead George

Gone Away Lake (and the sequels)

Nim's Island

And, as an offshoot of that, there are also a lot of animal books. So things like Poppy or Misty of Chincoteague could be part of an animal study.

And then you can always take a novel and build up the science around it, Like, read The Twenty-One Balloons and study volcanoes, hot air balloons and diamonds. Or read some science fiction like Journey to the Mushroom Planet and then do a sort of takeoff on it.

And there are more for older. The two Calpurnia Tate books are amazing. And there's more nature books like Hatchet that are better for slightly older. And there's a lot more science fiction as kids get older - things like A Wrinkle in Time.

Thanks for the numerous titles! I looked into the Andrew Lost series & it seems like something she'd enjoy as an independent read. I'll check out some of your other suggestions too...

The Nick and Tesla series is activity based - two kids build projects and discuss the science behind them to outsmart bad guys. The books have instructions for making your own. We're about to make the cyborg glove.

Thanks so much for this re-recommendation! Your description piqued my interest & I just bought a copy on Amazon. I think this is the perfect mix--mystery, action, science, & hands-on activity!

Thanks so much for this re-recommendation! Your description piqued my interest & I just bought a copy on Amazon. I think this is the perfect mix--mystery, action, science, & hands-on activity!

I just received my copy of the 1st (?) in this series & I'm totally pumped! I already (pre-) read the first few chapters & believe this'll be a big hit with my daughter. I'm more giddy than I've been in awhile & I thank you again for the killer recommendation!

• Like 1

Each lesson in "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding" (BFSU) (Nebel, Outskirts Press) includes a list of readings/age-appropriate books that correlate with the lesson. Such readings might fit your needs, as well as presenting particular scientific ideas and concepts.

At least for my copy of volume 1(k-5) the booklist is all nonfiction... so not novels which is what the OP asked for.

Each lesson in "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding" (BFSU) (Nebel, Outskirts Press) includes a list of readings/age-appropriate books that correlate with the lesson. Such readings might fit your needs, as well as presenting particular scientific ideas and concepts.

No advertising 

If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.

Thanks for this link! We like Archimedes (thanks to Jim Weiss) & the book listed may also be of appeal. I like the periodic table one too but may save it until she's a bit older.

Just as an aside, we had guests yesterday--a book-loving family with a same-age peer as my daughter--& I pulled out some recent purchases for 'show & tell', like the Nick & Tesla books referenced above. It was nice to further share my findings on here with my friends. That's why I'm glad I've become part of this community--the ideas are pertinent to our situation & help to enrich our lives.

The ideas on this thread alone will provide our family months of exploration, learning & bonding!