Menu

Why do warehouse clerks do this?

poppy

issues with the card don't show up until they start ringing up. I pay with my card - so they will usually hand it over and put it by the reader for me to swipe.   I've only had a few I've had to ask for my card.  I assume they were new.

Have you tried asking the cashier to give you your card back as soon as they start?

My  membership card and credit card are one and the same, and has to be run at the end of the transaction, so I'm used to not getting it back right away.  So maybe I'm not understanding the problem.

At Sam's Club, they place the card in a slot after they swipe it.  They don't generally say anything.  I just take it and put it away.  

I bet if you asked for it, they'd give it to you.  No skin off their nose, unless there's a problem (and there's usually not a problem that would require them to start all over again with your card).  

In your situation, I'd just ask, "Can I have this right back, please?" as I handed it to them.  If they say no, I'd ask why.  Then, I'd at least have an answer to the question of why they keep it.  

OK, next time I'll  ask to have it handed back.  Haven't ever because they are clearly all following the same "keep this in my keyboard" script.

I still don't get why they keep it, though..... several years of very frequent warehouse shopping (I am 1 mile from a Costco) and I've never, ever had them have to go back and reference the card.

I know I know.  First World Problem.  Honestly was more curious than annoyed.

? I've never been able to pay with a membership card. I actually have the Costco visa, but, it's a different card.

My Costco visa is my membership. One card with my photo on it. I always figured that's why they keep it, so they swipe it at the end.

Are you sure your visa doesn't have your membership number on the back? If it has your photo, and your membership number, you don't need the other card.

Rarely, but it's happened, I have had them hand it back

To me after they use it and then I swipe it. I suppose if I was using a different card it would annoy me to wait for it, but if they

Handed it back to me, I would forget they need it and put it away as I often put my receipt away before I get to the door!

Yup, first world problems.

Edited by KatieinMich

I always assumed it was so that they could make sure that people don't share a card.  They check to make sure that the name on the check/credit/debit matches the membership card, but they don't get that information until the end of the transaction.

I always assumed it was so that they could make sure that people don't share a card.  They check to make sure that the name on the check/credit/debit matches the membership card, but they don't get that information until the end of the transaction.

This could be it. The same way they verify your receipt before you leave.  Must have lots of theft.  Though I hate it when stores treat me like a criminal by default.