Menu

half straight/half curly hair...shampoo/conditioner question

Tap

DD10s hair has slowly changed over the past 5 years.  It was super silky and straight.  It was easy to manage and wasn't hard to brush.  

Now it is a thick, mid-back length, mix of straight, wavy and ringlets.  It is a mess.  I try to keep it braided but if she takes out of the braid it is like a knotted up, pile of yarn. Sometimes, just  trying to wash it just seems to create more tangles.  It takes probably an eighth cup of conditioner to work through her hair. 

When I wash it, I am careful to not rub it.  I put in the shampoo, softly rub it around with my finger tips, and rinse with running water to let the water help me out a bit.  Then I put on a pile of conditioner and comb it with a wide tooth comb until it is perfectly straight. Then rinse, but leave just a bit of conditioner in as a detangler.  Once she is out, I pat dry and let her air dry for 30 minutes or longer.  Then I brush it stick straight again with a Wet brush, then tightly braid it.  

She sleeps with her head under a fuzzy blanket so that is definitely working against us. LOL She will not let me cut it, and she is my kid with behaviors, so cutting it is not an option at this point. 

I usually use Matrix Amplify shampoo for dd18 and I but it doesn't work great on her hair.  I have to use a large handfull of shampoo on her hair, so while I don't mind spending a bit for shampoo, but don't want Bumble and Bumble prices either. LOL  Any suggestions?  Right now I am using one of the Suave Professional shampoos.  It works ok, but I wonder if it is building up on her hair and making things worse.  It was cheap and I don't think twice about using a pile of shampoo that way.  I know that better shampoos/conditioners usually need less, so I don't mind paying more, but again, just not crazy expensive.

Going no-poo is not an option for her. 

Any other suggestions?  

Edited by Tap

Would she maybe be interested in watching videos of people with wavy/curly hair getting haircuts? Just to see if there's a style she might like? I understand that a haircut has to be her idea, but maybe you could sow some seeds.

I have used TreSemme for eons (bought at Costco). They have a high moisture formula. Every hairdresser loves my hair because it is healthy and smooth. Occasionally I try something else,but other brands have made my hair stiff and more likely to tangle.

• Like 1

Dd9 has long, wavy hair, and we have similar problems with it knotting up. Over the past year or so we have gotten it under control. Here is what I do:

Wash with a no sulfite shampoo. Right now she is using L'Oréal Kids, but we use different brands. She and I take turns shampooing because I know I do a better job. Like you, I just gently rub her scalp and rinse well. We follow up with Aussie Three Minute Miracle Moist conditioner. I use a wide tooth comb to get rid of knots and then rinse pretty well. I've found that it's super important to rinse very well at the scalp.

After the shower, we either braid right away (she normally showers right before bed) or if she is going somewhere, we let air dry. She sleeps in a braid every night and sleeps on a satin pillowcase. We make a spray using conditioner and water to use as detangler on non hair washing days.

Dd's hair is not silky and probably never will be. But this routine keeps the gross, matted knots away.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 1

Ds and I have similar hair as your daught it sounds. We call it Hermoine Granger hair. It will dreadlock easily if we let it.

For us, we have to comb it out directly after towel drying. Letting it dry even a little allows it yo start curling and getting wavy. If we set it straight right away, it tends to not tangle up so badly. Then sleep on it with up in a high bun, or braided.

We use Costco shampoo and conditioner.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like my daughter's hair. I was reluctant to go without shampoo but it took it from a frizzy mess to something much prettier.  I use John Frieda curly girl conditioner and after I comb it out we mousse it (again John Frieda) to set the curls in place. It's been 2 years since she used shampoo and her hair is beautiful now.

When talking to others with curly hair the big thing was to avoid sulfates in hair products. So you'll need to read ingredient labels on her products. NO SULFATES.  

• Like 3

I went from silky-straight to curly at puberty. It was a rough transition. (hugs)

I haven't ever really found much difference in drug-store shampoos and expensive salon shampoos. The important thing is wash, condition and then comb some gel or mousse through it, scrunch it and leave it alone until it is dry. Repeat every day, never brush it. Gel worked better for me before kids when my hair was curlier and thicker, now I prefer mousse as my curl has relaxed quite a bit. My favorite is Suave Professionals for curls. No-poo does not work for me, my scalp gets gross waxy residue in it. 

• Like 1

My dd's hair is a bit like that.  She uses a low-sulfate shampoo (like this one) and a leave-in conditioner http://www.target.com/p/sheamoisture-jamaican-black-castor-oil-reparative-leave-in-conditioner-16-oz/-/A-16479760?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9052133&gclid=CNaql5bV8dACFYSEaQod_bsMZA&gclsrc=aw.ds  (I often use the same ones though I'm more of a switcher - there is. no. easier. detangler. than this conditioner that I have ever used - I have curly hair.)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 3

I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls shampoo and conditioner. They run $4-6 depending on sales. I really like Garnier Fructis Leave In Conditioner in the green bottle for my girls' hair (one straight, two curly). It's too heavy for mine (very fine). If I use anything coconut, my hair feels like matted straw. Oldest DD's does too. There's a gold/orange bottle with the curl formula, but it has coconut. It's $3-5 depending on sales.

• Like 2

Eliminate the shampoo.  

Eliminate the brush entirely.

Get a conditioner without the bad stuff in it.   

Comb hair with conditioner and a glass of water to dunk the comb in. 

Put hair up in some fashion for sleeping.  I like the Pineapple.  It is a ponytail on top of your head.   so the majority of the hair is above the pillow.  

• Like 2

Eliminate the shampoo.  

Eliminate the brush entirely.

Get a conditioner without the bad stuff in it.   

Comb hair with conditioner and a glass of water to dunk the comb in. 

Put hair up in some fashion for sleeping.  I like the Pineapple.  It is a ponytail on top of your head.   so the majority of the hair is above the pillow.  

I do the same for my daughter except I keep a spray bottle of water and spray and dampen everything as I go so it stays nice. And no brushes her either.

My littlest dd has ringlets. Beautiful when it's taken care of, but she's an active little monkey and it is usually a mess lol. I use the Costco brand shampoo and conditioner, its sulphate free. I use a good amount on her hair, and brush it after with the wet brush. Air dry. And only wash it twice a week or so.