Menu

When to start home schooling?

Everyone else is home except the 7 yr old. 7 yr old is in public school. 7 yr old is very smart I guess. They want to put him in the GT program, but they do not have a GT program available until 3rd grade (they will test end of 2nd). He is learning bad behavior there and coming home being aggressive and awful. At least that is what my husband thinks. My husband thinks public school is destroying him. 

I know my husband is laid off right now, so buying stuff is not optimal, but I would not actually need to purchase any curriculum at all. I had actually purchased 2nd grade curriculum for one of my older children years ago and then did not home school him at that age. So I have all the curriculum I need. 

I admit to feeling guilty as the staff at the school is so wonderful and kind and accommodating, but honestly, home schooling is not about how bad the public school is. Sometimes, the public school is just great but home schooling is what is right.

Previously, I thought I would pull him out after Christmas because we were going to relocate. Now we are not going to relocate. I actually feel bad about going in to the school and withdrawing him. But at this point, public school feels pointless. Even the teacher told us at the parent teacher conference that he has already mastered what they are teaching, but they are required to keep teaching it.

Would you just pull him now? Would you just tell the school he will leave at Christmas and have him finish out this week and the next?

I think it might cause more of a disruption and hard feelings if leaving now.  The last week before vacation is very laid back at my son's school.  They have exams, watch movies, and work on bonus things.  He'd miss those things - and it would be a wrinkle to start the new year.  There always would be that "ugh, just when we got to the fun I left."

So I would wait until the break and make a clean cut. 

• Like 3

I would examine my precise reasons for homeschooling and my precise reasons for having him currently in school - and then base the decision on that. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.  I pulled my kids from school when it was clear that school no longer served their needs, and when they wanted to homeschool.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

What does he want to do? Is he happy going to school or would he rather be homeschooled? 

I'm in the same boat with wanting to bring my DD8 home from PS at christmas break. But she is undecided with what she would prefer to do. So I am reluctant to make the decision to pull her mid-year, even though I think it is best for her academically. I don't want to make her leave new friends, a teacher she likes, and a schedule she's gotten used to right in the middle of the year. I don't want to create any negative feelings about homeschooling right as we return to it. She will be homeschooled next year, but unless she comes to me and asks to homeschool the rest of 3rd, she will finish out the year in PS. 

• Like 1

I would examine my precise reasons for homeschooling and my precise reasons for having him currently in school - and then base the decision on that. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.  I pulled my kids from school when it was clear that school no longer served their needs, and when they wanted to homeschool.

This. And also, with everything you have going on now, do you thing you want to add him to the fray at this moment, or would it be better to wait until you know what's happening with your dh and all of your house issues and everything else? You can pull him whenever you want in the Spring, let him finish the year....whatever. You don't have to rush. I get the negatives of leaving him where he's at, but it may also be providing some stability for everyone to leave him in until things calm down for you. Will home be better, or simply more stress and anxiety for you? Will finishing out the year make a huge difference for him behaviorally do you think? Just because you have the stuff doesn't mean you HAVE to do it right now, unless you are really, really feeling compelled to pull him. I'm usually a big "pull them if you have any doubts" proponent, but you are facing an onslaught of when it rains it pours right now- if him being in school helps you keep sane right now, I'd leave him. 

Edited by texasmom33

Everyone else is home except the 7 yr old. 7 yr old is in public school. 7 yr old is very smart I guess. They want to put him in the GT program, but they do not have a GT program available until 3rd grade (they will test end of 2nd). He is learning bad behavior there and coming home being aggressive and awful. At least that is what my husband thinks. My husband thinks public school is destroying him. 

I know my husband is laid off right now, so buying stuff is not optimal, but I would not actually need to purchase any curriculum at all. I had actually purchased 2nd grade curriculum for one of my older children years ago and then did not home school him at that age. So I have all the curriculum I need. 

I admit to feeling guilty as the staff at the school is so wonderful and kind and accommodating, but honestly, home schooling is not about how bad the public school is. Sometimes, the public school is just great but home schooling is what is right.

Previously, I thought I would pull him out after Christmas because we were going to relocate. Now we are not going to relocate. I actually feel bad about going in to the school and withdrawing him. But at this point, public school feels pointless. Even the teacher told us at the parent teacher conference that he has already mastered what they are teaching, but they are required to keep teaching it.

Would you just pull him now? Would you just tell the school he will leave at Christmas and have him finish out this week and the next?

Christmas break is the perfect time to withdraw him from school. So yes, let his last day of school be the last day of the semester.

• Like 1

I felt guilty when I took my kids out of PS too.  They had some amazing teachers, and I felt like by pulling them out of school, I was “dissing†their teachers.  But, it’s not personal; it’s about doing what is right for your children and your family.  If you feel that PS is not serving your son’s needs, then it’s not doing him any good to keep him there.  I would take him out during the holiday break.  I took my kids out of PS during the holidays too, and it was a good time to start transitioning them to being home.  

And also, with everything you have going on now, do you thing you want to add him to the fray at this moment, or would it be better to wait until you know what's happening with your dh and all of your house issues and everything else? You can pull him whenever you want in the Spring, let him finish the year....whatever. You don't have to rush. I get the negatives of leaving him where he's at, but it may also be providing some stability for everyone to leave him in until things calm down for you. Will home be better, or simply more stress and anxiety for you? Will finishing out the year make a huge difference for him behaviorally do you think? Just because you have the stuff doesn't mean you HAVE to do it right now, unless you are really, really feeling compelled to pull him. I'm usually a big "pull them if you have any doubts" proponent, but you are facing an onslaught of when it rains it pours right now- if him being in school helps you keep sane right now, I'd leave him. 

:iagree:  Do you have the time and energy to give to him right now? If not, is this something that your DH is willing to spend time on while he's not working? Is the stuff you have appropriate for him (considering the school thinks he is advanced)?