Menu

Cold sore and sleeping a lot, blood tests?

MamaBearTeacher

My 15-year old son has had a cold sore for about 6 weeks.  It is the first cold sore he has ever had.  My husband and I do not get them and neither do the other boys.  My son has severe special needs and he often takes drinks from strangers so maybe that's how he got it?  The past two weeks he has been sleeping a great deal, almost 12 hours every night.  Even when he wakes up he is too tired to get up for about 40 minutes.  He yawns throughout the day and in the evening.  However, I am not complaining because he has been very happy and well-behaved!!!!!!  I am so grateful for that!!!!!  A few weeks ago I posted how he was moaning all the time and staying up late and violently self-injurious.  It is so nice to see him smiling so much and come up to me and hug me and his brothers instead of the awful behaviour.  This is the real him!  

I am wondering if the cold sore and the sleep  are linked.  Are they linked to the bad behaviour of the previous weeks?  This is a boy who never feels good in his body.  I want to know what is going on in his body.  Maybe it can help.  We have done blood tests before but I would like to do more.  The paediatrician will usually do what I ask for if it is not too complicated.  If I just tell her he is sleeping a lot she will not order tests or be too concerned.  I have to tell her exactly what I want.

What tests should I ask for?  We have done the standard stuff in the past like CBC and thyroid  but what else might be good.  Please tell me anything and everything.  I want to do as much as possible.  Is the cold sore viral?  Should I test him for specific viruses?  Is it not concerning that it has lasted 6 weeks?  He has no cold symptoms but his brother woke up with a mild cold this morning, though probably completely unrelated.

Another thing I have noticed in the past few weeks is that his balance seems suddenly worse when he is standing and I help him get his socks on.

Help me solve this mystery.

I wondered too if it was a cold sore. It is inthe corner of his mouth. it formed a white blister and had some pus coming out and seemed to form -what's the word? A little hole. he was scratching it a couple of days ago and it seems more red and dried out and smaller now. it was too big to be acne. it was not dry skin. What else could it be?

My kids (two have special needs, though not nearly as severe as you have described in the past) appear to need much more sleep than "average." When life happens and they start getting a "normal" amount of sleep, they get much more volatile and all special needs issues, including my middle son's extreme reactions to (what I would perceive as mild) pain, get much more intense. I'd actually be wondering if the extra sleep is part of why your son is so happy?

The cold sore does complicate that theory. I think I'd ask the doctor to figure out what that is. Throwing in a test for mono sounds reasonable too.

Hugs, Mama. Perhaps while investigating, you can also enjoy this calm while you have it. Maybe you can get a bit of extra sleep. ;-)

• Like 2

I don't have experience with cold sores, but that, plus the other symptoms you describe - sleeping a lot, balance, etc - would concern me.

Just to throw this out there: I once saw Dr Horowitz, a renowned LLMD, speak. He was speaking about co-infections from ticks, and specifically mentioned the herpes virus. I don't have a source, other than the notes I took myself at the conference.

The symptoms you describe could be something else entirely. But if you find no other cause, you might check into tick borne diseases. If the cold sore came from an unseen bite, he could have other TBDs, whose symptoms would fit.

• Like 1

Yes, he is so much better with a lot of sleep. Since adolescence his sleep has become irregular, staying up late (or sometimes all night) and then sleeping in late. But this is consistent large amounts of sleep for a longer period. I am so happy he's happy.

My kids (two have special needs, though not nearly as severe as you have described in the past) appear to need much more sleep than "average." When life happens and they start getting a "normal" amount of sleep, they get much more volatile and all special needs issues, including my middle son's extreme reactions to (what I would perceive as mild) pain, get much more intense. I'd actually be wondering if the extra sleep is part of why your son is so happy?

The cold sore does complicate that theory. I think I'd ask the doctor to figure out what that is. Throwing in a test for mono sounds reasonable too.

Hugs, Mama. Perhaps while investigating, you can also enjoy this calm while you have it. Maybe you can get a bit of extra sleep. ;-)

I wondered too if it was a cold sore. It is inthe corner of his mouth. it formed a white blister and had some pus coming out and seemed to form -what's the word? A little hole. he was scratching it a couple of days ago and it seems more red and dried out and smaller now. it was too big to be acne. it was not dry skin. What else could it be?

Canker sore? Was it on the inside of the mouth close to lips or definitely outside? I think canker sores are always on the soft tissue inside. Cold sores (herpes) and canker sores are not the same thing.