Menu

Timing getting another dog

ktgrok

Looking for some BTDT or other advice. 

We currently have an 11 year old mixed breed...she's definitely pit bull, and looks to be some shepherd and lab. She is in the early stages of arthritis, so we are trying to minimize her jumping off and on furniture, giving supplements, meds, etc but reality is, I won't have her suffer so I don't expect her to make it to say, 15 or anything. 

We also have a 6 year old border collie rescue, who was brain damaged as a puppy. He's very sweet, but very very very um...slow. Like, I was a professional dog trainer and teaching him to sit, which usually takes me about 5 minutes, took 2 weeks. He one broke his foot in three places misjudging how to get out the back door. Sometimes he gets stuck under furniture. Sweet dog, easy dog for the most part because well, he can't think of much trouble to get into. 

The thought was, at some point we'll lose the older one, and get another at that time. Because honestly, the border collie can't manage as an only dog. For instance, he won't go potty by himself, he needs his "buddy', the other dog, or he just stands outside and looks confused and barks. If the other dog goes out he runs out with her and does his business. 

However, we had a puppy over yesterday, (friend had a new dog) and I realized something. The older dog is well socialized and has very good doggy manners. She has great calming skills, gives clear doggy body language, etc. She was a bit bossy in a "this is my house and you'd better acknowledge that" kind of way with the other dog (standing tall, tail up, etc) but VERY sweet and gentle with the puppy, and they played and had fun. 

My border collie? Had NO idea what to do with the playful puppy, and stood there staring at the humans like "what is going on??" and pretty much ignored it. He wasn't upset, just confused. 

My thought is, if we wait, and the border collie is the only dog in the house, he cannot teach a puppy anything. He barely knows how to be a dog himself. If we got a puppy while we still have the older dog, then she would teach it doggy manners, where to go potty to some extent (not saying I wouldn't actively housebreak..just that it would help), etc. Then by the time the older one goes, the border collie and puppy would be bonded, hopefully?

Is that the crazy musings of a hormonal pregnant woman, or am I making sense?

Edited to add a few other thoughts:

Getting a puppy may mean more arthritis meds for the older dog if she over does it playing. Or may mean she loses some weight (we've been working on that) which might help. Not sure. 

None of us are in love with the idea of three dogs at once, but we've done it before. We are dog people. 

I am very very in love with my older dog. When she goes, I'll be very sad. She's not my soulmate like my weimaraner was, but we have a close bond....I got her right before a divorce. She used to go to work with me every day, etc. I like, and yes, love, our border collie, but he and I are not close that way. He's my husband's dog, for sure. Not sure if getting and having another dog already, when she goes, would make it easier. I don't know. 

Edited by ktgrok

My vote would be that if you decide to do the three-dog thing,do it before you get too far along in pregnancy.

House breaking puppies while huge and preggers is much less fun, even with a good older dog to help. Just the thought of cleaning up the puppy puddles while bending over makes me tired!

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 5

I think it would definitely be good for the puppy to have the older dog example! It might make the old dog more spry too by keeping her more active. You obviously know enough about dogs to judge if you want to deal with house breaking and new baby all at the same time. Get a smart dog so it goes faster. :) We got our youngest dog when I had a 16 month old and a 4 month old. I don't even remember the puppy phase with him. It was all a blur so I have no advice other than it can be done. He had a ball with the little kids too. :) Of course they don't remember it though so now are begging for another puppy.....

You're making sense. Three dogs is a lot of fun. I'd do it now :) 

LOL, I expected that answer from you I think :)

Or to be the voice of reason. 

We did have 3 dogs for a while, when DH's childhood dog came to live here when his mom got sick and eventually died.. He was elderly though, not a puppy. Biggest problem having him around was he shed like no dog I've ever known before. Sweet, sweet old man, but dear heavens. He shed more than the other 4 animals combined. 

SaveSave

My godmother thinks it's important to have three dogs of varying ages. So she would say get one now. She has three great Pyrenees rescues. Her dd is a very who does volunteer care for several rescues refers them to her when she knows finding a home that can handle a particular rescue issue will be hard.

Anyway: three dogs good.

Yeah, part of me thinks if we do it, to do it soon, so housebreaking is done before the baby comes, and the dog is not in the throes of puppyhood when the baby becomes a toddler. Toddler plus crazy puppy would suck. And there is no way I could housebreak while caring for an infant. 

So either we do it before having a baby, or not until baby is a few years old at least. 

ugh, this is more and more sounding like we should do it soon. This was going to be my first pregnancy NOT getting a dog, lol!  I took in a rescued weimaraner with my first pregnancy, the border collie with my second, and husband's childhood dog with my third. 

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of having three dogs because it seems like all too often there's a two-against-one thing going on.

But that may just be my own bias.

In your shoes I'd be more concerned about dealing with a new dog (and especially a new puppy) while pregnant than I would be about the other two dogs adapting.

Edited by Pawz4me

I vote three dogs rather than allowing the disabled dog to lead the pup into wacky socialization skills.  

As a former trainer I'm assuming you know this, but for the benefit of the greater internet: Please don't get a dog "for Christmas."  It is stressful on the pups to be thrust into the chaos of holiday celebrations (and it is easy for us humans to forget how much attention a pup really needs, and how distracted we are on holidays).

I'm not a fan of having three dogs because it seems like all too often there's a two-against-one thing going on.

But that may just be my own bias.

In your shoes I'd be more concerned about dealing with a new dog (and especially a new puppy) while pregnant than I would be about the other two dogs adapting.

I think I know what you mean, and luckily mine aren't rambunctious like that, where they might be picking on the other dog, or whatever. The older one is well, old, and super lazy. Like, her idea of a hard day is moving from one couch to the other, lol. I joke that other dogs can search out missing people, or drugs, or bombs, but she can search out soft places to lay. She's a princess in a pit bull body. 

And the border collie..he's too simple. Really. His day consists of laying with is head under a couch, barking at random things, and being super proud of himself for knowing where he eats, and how to sit on command. 

I don't see either of them forming a coalition :)

• Like 6

I vote three dogs rather than allowing the disabled dog to lead the pup into wacky socialization skills.  

As a former trainer I'm assuming you know this, but for the benefit of the greater internet: Please don't get a dog "for Christmas."  It is stressful on the pups to be thrust into the chaos of holiday celebrations (and it is easy for us humans to forget how much attention a pup really needs, and how distracted we are on holidays).

Very true. No, we would wait until after the holidays. We will go to my mom's for at least part of Christmas day and wouldn't leave a puppy alone that long, and wouldn't presume to bring a non housebroken puppy with us. And yeah, puppy plus christmas ornaments plus wrapped presents plus people in and out eating food that isn't safe for dogs....bad idea. 

• Like 2

When our dog was getting up in age we had planned to get a puppy, then waited too long. The elderly dog started having issue with his bowels so we didn't feel comfortable keeping him off the furniture while the new dog would be allowed, so we waited longer. After he passed we kept looking for a puppy, then I visited my grandfather. He has adopted adult dogs all my life and he has the best behaved and trained dogs. We got home, went to the humane society and ended up with a very well mannered 7 year old Beagle mix.

It's been 7 months and not having a puppy at this time in our lives has been one of the best decisions ever. So, if I were you I think I'd go with a completely different plan, get an adult dog whenever you feel ready or one of your current dogs passes. Then when your baby is older, get a puppy. The newer adult dog can train the puppy if the simple dog isn't able and you don't have to have a puppy and a baby at the same time.

• Like 1

Hmm...that is a possibility. Not sure if my older dog would be as tolerant of an older dog, although we could wait and do it after she passes. It's a thought. I have taken in adult dogs before, and to be honest, had a bad experience. My lovely sweet weimaraner Rosie was a rescue as an adult, and ended up with horrid separation anxiety. Too bad for me even to discuss without getting upset about how she suffered. 

Obviously, that isn't always the case, but it gives me pause. 

• Like 3

Hmm...that is a possibility. Not sure if my older dog would be as tolerant of an older dog, although we could wait and do it after she passes. It's a thought. I have taken in adult dogs before, and to be honest, had a bad experience. My lovely sweet weimaraner Rosie was a rescue as an adult, and ended up with horrid separation anxiety. Too bad for me even to discuss without getting upset about how she suffered.

I'm sorry she suffered, that's tough.

We're getting a lab puppy towards the end of January and I am in full-blown puppy-obsessed planning mode, so I think you should go for it sooner rather than later. I think having a well-behaved older dog who could teach the puppy appropriate boundaries and behavior is a huge benefit not to be underestimated. I'm half-seriously trying to figure out a way I can convince my neighbor to let her dog come live with us for a few months - she is such a great dog.

• Like 1

Our bichon/poodle crosses were adult rescues and have a little separation anxiety. (Nothing horrible.)  I wonder if it is because they "lost" their original family... They're super affectionate and there's a lot of people in this house, and at least one person is nearly always home, so it's usually not an issue.  BUT... this is definitely something to consider.