Menu

S/O Millenial song Do you know how old your friends are?

TravelingChris

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know the how old you friends are?

• mostly yes
    • mostly no

Do you know the ages of your friends?  I don't mostly.  I do have a good age range for my college friends and the high school friends I have facebooked but not friends I have made since then.  THe majority of friends I made in the years of my homeschooling time (except for the last 4 years of homeschooling) were homeschoolers with at least some kids similar in age to mine.  But that can still mean a good range of ages depending on what age they started and stopped having kids compared to me.  Then most of the friends I have made at church have older kids than mine though some have kids my age and one couple has younger kids than mine.  Again I don't know ages and often I don't know whether a person is older than me or not.  

I mean I think the people I have known for a while yeah I know how old they are.  Or I did at some point.  But to me everyone is around the same age it really doesn't matter.   Some friends I remember are a bit older or a bit younger.  But that is as much as I remember.  Their exact ages?  Who knows anymore

Plus I don't care.  Not that I am mean, just I don't care how old someone is.  That isn't how I judge people.  I have friends of all ages.  

• Like 1

I don't care how old someone is but with that discussion about what are the generations of people posting anti millenial posts on facebook, I thought about how I wouldn;t even know whether many of my friends were baby boomer or gen x.  I am friends with people from the silent generation, the baby boomers, generation x, and millenials.  I am friendly with people younger than millenials but don't have any friends in that group,   So I was curious how people know which exact generation their friends are in if they have friends on the fringes of the generation changes.  

I know generally for most, specifically for very few. I am on the younger side among our friends and homeschooling peers but it's not usually hard to tell what decade someone is in.

I do for all but a couple of acquaintances- but friends, yes for sure. Mostly because I've known them all a long time and I think age comes up more when you're younger. I just tend to remember stuff like that afterwards, so I remember the age differences. Meanwhile my husband doesn't even know how old he is most of the time, much less anyone else. If I ask the age of someone at his work he gives me a 20 span guess.  :confused1:

Moving accross the Atlantic was interesting because I started fresh friendwise and most markers are essentially gone. Things simply were not popular here at the same time as they were where I grew up. Music etc can be years different. I have been fortunate and made some great friends over the last few years and they all my age give or take a year. In all cases we had no clue until years after......50 th birthdays outed our ages. I do have other friends.

Btw, the core group is my age but our kids aren't the same ages at all.

Edited by mumto2

Most of my friends I know if they are my age, younger than me or older than me.  It doesn't matter to me but it often comes up in conversation at some point.  We'll talk about things we did in high school or college, remember when? type stuff.   

My daughter is the one who tells me most of her friends parents are dh's age (Boomer) instead of mine (Gen X) and, of course, I know how old my cousins are (the two groups I mentioned in the other thread).

I know mostly.  It comes up most often with cultural things (TV shows, first concert, where were you when the Challenger exploded or 9/11), and I've learned to never, ever try to make a connection about high school by asking what year they graduated.  I will always walk away feeling ancient.  LOL

I had kids from 31-37, which is average for the people I know through the school system.  And ancient for the homeschoolers I know.  But luckily, I have a few circles of people with others that are older, too, so I never have to play one role all the time.