Menu

Do you like receiving Christmas gift baskets? Favorites?

grantmeawish

We get my MIL the wine baskets or the wine club for a year membership with the types of wine she loves but won't spring for. She's hard to buy for and those at least get used. :)

What do they like or prefer? My relatives would prefer chocolates and cookies not in a basket because they have so many baskets already over the years. My BIL and some of hubby's relatives would prefer a traditional gift basket. My BIL's family don't drink so he would prefer something like this http://www.marksandspencer.com/festive-cheer-gift-box/p/p21052467

Edited by Arcadia

I have bought a variety of food gift baskets for my in-laws over the years.  Sams and Costco both offer gift baskets that you can order online and have shipped directly to someone.  Candies and cookies, meat and cheese and cracker, popcorn and snacks, etc. Last year I sent a fruit basket from The Fruit Company - http://www.thefruitcompany.com/  It was through Costco and the price seemed nice for what was included.  

It's hard to know if they like the items as they never say thanks or we got it or yum or yuck or anything!!

I enjoy getting mixed baskets or boxes.  We send a mixed box to some friends every year - small containers of tea, coffee, chocolates, cookies.  Once someone sent us a fancy cookie mix (not a homemade one in a mason jar, but a commercial one) along with some nuts and other little treats.   An assortment of little things is fun, I think, and if one or two of the things don't "fit" it usually doesn't really matter. 

It just really depends on what people like and can use.  Someone once gave me a basket of lotions and other personal care products.  It was very nice - but I couldn't use the stuff as it made my husband sick (allergies).   But it's usually not too hard to know if people like coffee, hot cocoa, and other things like that. 

When I send gifts to family in other parts of the country, I like to send a local foods gift basket.  So I'll fill a basket with some regional specialties for my area- in my case, that's Wisconsin, so frequently there will be a cheese or two.  I'll add some locally grown popcorn, maybe pretzels or crackers, some amazing Cranberry mustard, a jar of honey from a local apiary or a jar of homemade jam.  These always seem to be well received.

• Like 2

We have gotten a gift basket once from my son in law's parents.  According to my daughter, it was a regift but we didn't care.  They hadn't opened it and just gave it to us.  They had heard from their son and my daughter that our family is much more a foodie family so they gave us the Italian food basket they got (and probably didn't really want). 

Usually no. I am allergic to wheat so that is a big issue. We do not go through things like honey, jam, syrup, etc. very quickly at all so we end up giving a lot away.

Fruit is okay but with two of the three boys away at college unless the gift basket comes after they get home from finals week, we may not be able to use a generous basket fast enough so we end up giving it away.

Specialty teas do not get used. Specialty coffee would definitely be appreciated but that is rarely the type of basket we receive.