Menu

Is it ever worth it to replace phone glass?

Dmmetler

DD12 managed to crack the glass on her phone. It isn't an expensive one-it's a $100 or so Android tracfone. Is it even worth it to try to replace the glass, or should we just figure that we'll have to replace the phone and start looking for good deals? I don't think she did anything to abuse it, and she honestly has no idea when it cracked (my theory is that when she had her birthday sleepover, maybe someone sat on it-they did a lot of photo taking).

• Like 1

I did it myself by watching youtube videos. The phone was free, but still functional and the replacement cost for the phone was more expensive than buying the glass. You can purchase glass with the various attached components (like the camera) so you don't have to remove and re-attach those yourself. I didn't find it difficult. I just needed to be very careful as there are many little screws that look the same size but only fit in one place.

• Like 2

If you do it, you need to buy a kit that has a variety of tools to take phones and tablets apart. They sell the those tool kits, on Amazon and eBay for approximately 10 dollars.  If it is "only" a $100 phone (that's a lot of $ in my family),  I would probably just buy another Android phone. Last week, the superstore where we've purchased 3 phones this year had a low end Lenovo (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility now) for about USD $69 and the prices here include 16% tax. That is for a phone that left the factory Unbranded and Unlocked and has a 12 month manufacturers warranty. It had 4G LTE and something else I want in a new phone, which I cant remember. as I type this  I was looking at that for DD, but my wife wants to buy her a phone that is much better, with more Memory, better cameras, etc.  

ETA: My wife's Motorola, purchased at the end of January 2016 has "Gorilla Glass".  Possibly the Motorola phone she bought for me, the first week of February 2016, also has Gorilla Glass. (I ended up giving that one to DIL 2 months later). I think the Lenovo she bought for my stepson has Gorilla Glass. If it is a mid range or high end phone, I would consider "Gorilla Glass" to be a must.   That said, I am currently using a low end Samsung phone which was previously used by a boy who is 6 years old, but my wife told me that when he was using it, he was probably 4 or 5 years old.  It works perfectly.

ETA #2:  I cracked the glass on a low end Android tablet. I'm not sure how I did that, but my wife and my DD say that it is my fault...

Edited by Lanny

I did it myself by watching youtube videos. The phone was free, but still functional and the replacement cost for the phone was more expensive than buying the glass. You can purchase glass with the various attached components (like the camera) so you don't have to remove and re-attach those yourself. I didn't find it difficult. I just needed to be very careful as there are many little screws that look the same size but only fit in one place.

Also, if you replace the glass yourself, buy the repair tool kit. You likely won't have all the necessary tools and they are important. Mine cost $10 so it was worth the cost, knowing between DH, the kids, and me, we'd likely need it again.

This.

And you might want to spend a few dollars on a set of replacement screws, as original ones may have rusted.

A magnifying lamp is good, too. Even the screws that look alike can be different.

Our experience is exclusively with iPhones and iPads. It is so easy to damage an itty bitty connector inadvertently that we now gladly pay for a good shop to do the repairs. For older iPhones, the new glass repair is about $50, not much more than the kit.

• Like 1

I have an iPhone 4 and recently paid $99 ($106 or so after tax). This was at a repair shop with a physical building.

Then there is a kiosk at the mall, and it would have been less, I can't remember now if it would have been $60 or $70? At the kiosk at the mall, if you buy a new case or protective cover from the same guy, he might give a deal. (I feel like it would have ended up being $60 with $10 off for buying a case, too..... very embarrassing, I got it fixed but wanted to shop around for a new protective cover, and then broke it again within 3 days before I got a new protective cover.... so I got a protective cover at the same time at the mall.)

I would try the guy at the kiosk at the mall now, especially if I might buy anything else.

Anyway -- for the price you might just replace it anyway, but it was worth it for me to pay the money to have it replaced.

it depends upon the phone. - cost of the phone itself is only part.  some phone glass is separate from innards and are easy to replace.  if the iinnards are attached - it's expensive.

for the next phone - if you go that route - get a tempered glass screen protector.  it will crack - and not the phone's glass.  it's cheap (abt. $5) easy to replace.  and reminds me I need to get a new one, because the plexi glass got cracked but the phone itself is fine.

Edited by gardenmom5