Menu

Chicago Tribune Endorses Obama

since it's an Illinois paper you might be going 'well, duh' but well duh indeed; in its over 100 year history, the Chicago Tribune has never endorsed a Democratic Presidential nominee.

On Nov. 4 we're going to elect a president to lead us through a perilous time and restore in us a common sense of national purpose.

The strongest candidate to do that is Sen. Barack Obama. The Tribune is proud to endorse him today for president of the United States.

The Republican Party, the party of limited government, has lost its way. The government ran a $237 billion surplus in 2000, the year before Bush took office -- and recorded a $455 billion deficit in 2008. The Republicans lost control of the U.S. House and Senate in 2006 because, as we said at the time, they gave the nation rampant spending and Capitol Hill corruption. They abandoned their principles. They paid the price.

Full article here.

Note: shouldn't they have capitalized "president"?

Edited by Deidre in GA

It happens. They present the news, but journalists have opinions and it slips through reporting. I'm not surprised Chicago Tribune has backed Obama for several reasons. 1. He's a local. 2. He's their senator. 3. He's black as is much of south Chicago. (Pandering to the readers as much as promoting a local.) And most importantly, 4. Chicago is known to be a Democratic city.

I love Chicago, but was really glad to move to a republican vs. democratic state for this reason.

It happens. They present the news, but journalists have opinions and it slips through reporting. I'm not surprised Chicago Tribune has backed Obama for several reasons. 1. He's a local. 2. He's their senator. 3. He's black as is much of south Chicago. (Pandering to the readers as much as promoting a local.) And most importantly, 4. Chicago is known to be a Democratic city.

I love Chicago, but was really glad to move to a republican vs. democratic state for this reason.

Yes BUT the Tribune is traditionally a Republican paper. :D

But I agree that the above factors probably played a large part this time :D

Ya' know, I think endorsements meant something in times past. Today, however, with media bias, an endorsement by a media entity means absolutely nothing to me. The only endorsement I would even care to know about is one coming from someone whom I have admired and respected for quite some time; someone who has shown that he/she has a sense of judgment and discernment. I don't think any news media fits that bill.

He's black as is much of south Chicago. (Pandering to the readers as much as promoting a local.)

Pandering?

Pandering?

when McCain receives an endorsement, do you also label it as pandering to the white vote?

about chicago from Wikipedia:

The racial makeup of the city was 41.97% White, 36.77% Black or African American, 0.36% Native American, 4.35% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 13.58% from other races, and 2.92% from two or more races. Of the population, 26.02% are Hispanics or Latinos of any race.

I agree with Deidre that this IS news. The Chicago Tribune, which is a respected newspaper, has a long, LONG history of supporting Republican candidates. I don't think there was any pandering here at all. I think they genuinely believe that he is the best candidate for the job. I also agree with them completely that the Republican party has lost its way. But that's MY op-ed. :D

Newspapers routinely endorse candidates on their editorial page (not the op-ed, which is, by definition, the page opposite the paper's editorial page). That IS the paper's official endorsement.