Menu

AP Exam - What if you're not sure if you will be ready?

My dd is taking two AP classes this year and I'm not sure if she will be ready for one of the exams. She, of course, is sure she will be and is chomping at the bit to take it, lol. I will need to contact the school next month to make arrangements for the exams and I'm not sure if I'll know at that point whether or not she's going to be ready. Is there any harm done if she takes the exam and doesn't score a 4 or a 5? Can we get a low score dropped?

AP exam scores are self-reported on the Common App. You only send an official score report to the school you decide to attend. That fact always took some of the pressure off for my kids. If they hadn't done well, I would have just renamed the course "advanced chemistry" instead of "advanced chemistry with AP exam" (for example). There is a way to officially cancel a score, but I don't see a real need for anyone to do so.

You should have your daughter take a practice exam before the real AP test if at all possible. That will give you a pretty good idea of how she'll score. The released exams purchased from the College board are best for that purpose, but sometimes we just used the (free) released FRQs on their website coupled with a good review guide like Barron's or Princeton Review for MC practice.

Edited by Kathy in Richmond
  • Like 11

You should have your daughter take a practice exam before the real AP test if at all possible. That will give you a pretty good idea of how she'll score. The released exams purchased from the College board are best for that purpose, but sometimes we just used the (free) released FRQs on their website coupled with a good review guide like Barron's or Princeton Review for MC practice.

Sometimes you can borrow AP study guides from the local library.

Better to know early before you commit the time to find the exam location and the expense.

• Like 1

How do you buy the released exams, from their website? Also do they release the answers also?

• Like 1

How do you buy the released exams, from their website? Also do they release the answers also?

This is where you can buy packs of released exams https://store.collegeboard.org/sto/catalog.do?category=259

More released exams are available to teachers whose courses are approved by College Board.

All past FRQs for all exams are available, with scoring rubric and actual example answers, plus sample multiple choice questions: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/exam/exam_information/index.html (choose the exam).

Adding for those who are unfamiliar w AP exams: most of the exams consist of multiple choice sections and free-response sections. Music, art, and languages are a bit different.

Edited by Luckymama
  • Like 10

This is where you can buy packs of released exams https://store.collegeboard.org/sto/catalog.do?category=259

More released exams are available to teachers whose courses are approved by College Board.

All past FRQs for all exams are available, with scoring rubric and actual example answers, plus sample multiple choice questions: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/exam/exam_information/index.html (choose the exam).

Adding for those who are unfamiliar w AP exams: most of the exams consist of multiple choice sections and free-response sections. Music, art, and languages are a bit different.

So, kind of impossible to know how your child would do unless one is super confident in their own grading of the free response essays, am I right?

Can you retake APs like people retake SATs?

• Like 1

Thanks for all this information!

My ds attempted 4 AP tests and got 2s and 3s. It was a waste of money and effort for us but we never even bothered cancel the scores. We just didn't report them.

I've heard this is the case by many. Just don't report them.

Would you mind sharing which 4 AP exams your ds took? (and if they were studied at home or via online provider?) Just curious. If you'd rather not say, that's OK too. :)

So, kind of impossible to know how your child would do unless one is super confident in their own grading of the free response essays, am I right?

There are sample student responses in the high, middle, and low range you can review and compare.  CB does have some fairly detailed breakdowns on elements to consider in scoring and variants on what qualifies as a correct or partially correct response. 

• Like 1

I am new to understanding APs so forgive my questions. Are AP scores given a college credit grade? Such as a score of 3 is that a C? Does AP scores affect high school or college GPA?

The AP score doesn't affect the gpa but if you take an AP class, that would.

I don't know about credit but a lot of people (like us) won't do APs for credit but because they are a specific admission requirement.

• Like 1

I see, so AP scores would need to be either 4 or 5s.

The answer is going to vary, not only by college, but also by exam.  For example, a 4 or 5 on an English AP may give you credit at College A, while no credit would be given at College B.  College A may have a stricter score requirement for chemistry than it does for English and require a score of 5 to get credit. 

Other colleges will not automatically grant credit for a high AP score, but a high AP score may give the student the opportunity to take the college placement test to determine if the student can place into a higher level course. 

Many colleges list their AP credit policy that you can google.  Once you know which college your child will be attending, it may be beneficial to check out the AP policy.  My oldest ended up not taking some AP exams his senior year, and my middle is going to skip taking the exam for at least one of his AP classes this year because the college he will be attending does not grant credit for the AP regardless of the score.

• Like 2

The AP website also has a search engine to find AP credit policies for various universities. Also wanted to add, you can find many of the prior released AP exams, even ones that should be purchased from the College Board,  by googling "released exam" the year and the name of the AP test. Appracticeexams also has links to all of the free officially released exams.