Menu

What cheeses go together?

Night Elf

We sometimes mix parmesan  or provolone in.  I've seen some recipes that add gouda, either smoked or not.   Pepper jack can be nice if a little heat is desired.  

I just looked up a recipe for 3-cheese mac and cheese.  It called for cheddar, fontina, and gruyere.  Gruyere is delicious but too costly for me to add to a casserole!  :-)   I like the fontina idea though. 

I love Dubliner with cheddar in mac and cheese. It adds enough of a different layer without being obviously DIFFERENT if that makes any sense at all.

Do you have a Whole Foods? They will let you taste cheeses. Gruyere is a type of Swiss, but it's sweeter and nuttier. It doesn't have the slightly sock-like taste of Swiss. It's also great in mac and cheese. Fontina is softer, smoother, and usually mild and buttery. Both Fontina and Gruyere will vary in taste depending on brand, age, etc. Cave-aged Gruyere is fantastic for eating, but you wouldn't waste it in a mac and cheese.

Pepperjack would go nicely and provide a little kick. It melts really well. It just depends on what flavor you want your mac and cheese to have. 

Trader Joe's has the best, most affordable cheese variety around here. I'd go grab a few and see what you like. You can use the others for a cheese tray. :)

• Like 1

We're not big cheese eaters. I was just going to go to my grocery store and have the deli cut me a chunk 2 to 4 oz. in weight, just enough for the recipe. My dd likes the idea of pepperjack. If I was to use that, how much should I use? I need 8 oz. total of cheese. How much cheddar and how much pepperjack? I'm also going to taste the guyere. I'm worried about getting something too subtle and have the sharp cheddar overpower it.

We're not big cheese eaters. I was just going to go to my grocery store and have the deli cut me a chunk 2 to 4 oz. in weight, just enough for the recipe. My dd likes the idea of pepperjack. If I was to use that, how much should I use? I need 8 oz. total of cheese. How much cheddar and how much pepperjack? I'm also going to taste the guyere. I'm worried about getting something too subtle and have the sharp cheddar overpower it.

I'd use half of each, but it's not critical that it be exact. 

• Like 1

It may be cheaper to buy blocks. Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar is widely available and pretty darn good. Cabot has a packaged Pepperjack that's good and in every grocery store. They come in 8 oz blocks, so you could cut them in half and freeze the extra for Christmas mac and cheese. :)

Cracker Barrel is 2/$5 at Publix this week. I think you're in a Publix area. :)

It may be cheaper to buy blocks. Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar is widely available and pretty darn good. Cabot has a packaged Pepperjack that's good and in every grocery store. They come in 8 oz blocks, so you could cut them in half and freeze the extra for Christmas mac and cheese. :)

Cracker Barrel is 2/$5 at Publix this week. I think you're in a Publix area. :)

Thank you! I didn't realize I could get a block of pepperjack out of the regular cold section. Surely that will be cheaper. I'll look into it.

So, do tell, what recipe did you settle on?

It's a recipe my mom uses, but I can't remember the name of the cookbook. It was something that I recognized though. She said it always turns out really good and I figure if my mom, who is not the best cook in the world, can make it then I can too!