Menu

Do I want an iPhone 7?

Moxie

I do to. Dh thinks the giant memory I insist on having is what fries my battery.

I assume you are talking about the internal memory and not a MicroSD card.   We believe some of the Apps (Waze, etc.) run batteries down quickly. The fewer Apps that are running, the longer your battery is going to last before needing to be recharged. I think that would be true for any Smart Phone, iPhone or Android. 

I believe the memory will consume some of the battery, but not as much as the Display or Apps.  Also, if you are running on a 4G LTE network, that consumes a lot of battery when you are Downloading or Uploading files. An HSPA+ network (3.75 G) would give you fast Data, but not as fast as 4G LTE, but it would consume much less of the battery.

You're on the plus, right?  Cuz you're the reason I'm getting a 7+.  :D  So yeah, OBVIOUSLY you're going for the 7 plus, my lands.  Total no-brainer.  The camera is WAY loads better.  Mine hasn't come yet, but the online pics are dramatic.  I tried it with the 2x (tighter) lens in the store, and I'm really psyched about that.  I love being able to go wide, but there really are times when you'd like it tighter!

I don't know why your battery is dying so fast.  If you've only had your phone a year, might be under warranty.  There's something in settings where you go through and tell the phone what apps can use data and what can't.  If you go through and do that (if you haven't before), might decrease your power consumption and improve your battery life.  A LOT of apps want to be on background, using data, trolling, and you can turn all that off.  I'm obsessive about it.  And you can triple tap the home button to turn off apps.  But mainly that background data is something to kill.  

My phone is broken. The battery dies at about 56% and as soon as I plug it in it is charged back to 75%. We have the insurance which is why they will replace it for very little. But, apparently, it is time to upgrade. Guess that is what i'"" do!

• Like 1

I do to. Dh thinks the giant memory I insist on having is what fries my battery.

Again, I do not think it is the RAM that is consuming a lot of the battery capacity.  I looked in my Samsung Android phone. Most of the battery, when it is sitting here doing very little (looking for updates to Apps, hand shaking with the nearby towers for our 2 providers, etc.) is showing as being consumed by Android.

My phone is broken. The battery dies at about 56% and as soon as I plug it in it is charged back to 75%. We have the insurance which is why they will replace it for very little. But, apparently, it is time to upgrade. Guess that is what i'"" do!

YES.   You might as well upgrade if it has that issue.   I doubt that it is simply the battery, but that's possible. I do not think that is typical of Li-Ion batteries.  I try to remember to run my 2 laptops on battery power, once a month, until I get the warning from Windows that they are at about 13% and that Windows will shut down if I don't plug into AC power.  And my cell phone can go way lower than 56% and it charges up to 100% and that phone is from 2014.

Edited by Lanny

If you can get a Brand New phone, with a factory warranty, for $100, I think that's a great way to go.

ETA: A "Refurbished" or "Remanufactured" phone with a Factory Warranty would also be very acceptable to me.  

Edited by Lanny

I assume you are talking about the internal memory and not a MicroSD card.   We believe some of the Apps (Waze, etc.) run batteries down quickly. The fewer Apps that are running, the longer your battery is going to last before needing to be recharged. I think that would be true for any Smart Phone, iPhone or Android. 

I believe the memory will consume some of the battery, but not as much as the Display or Apps.  Also, if you are running on a 4G LTE network, that consumes a lot of battery when you are Downloading or Uploading files. An HSPA+ network (3.75 G) would give you fast Data, but not as fast as 4G LTE, but it would consume much less of the battery.

iPhones have no SD slot, but they are battery hogs.  That said, it is very possible she just got a bum of a battery.  It happens. 

Moxie, I'd upgrade for that.  It's a decent deal.

• Like 1

I have the I phone 7 plus and took it on my 12 day trip and the pictures turned out awesome....I waited 3 years for this so it was worth what it costed me.   I also highly recommend the Spigen case for it as it's already paid for itself when I dropped it and nothing shattered or cracked.  

How long did you have the 6? Any $500+ product that can't hold a charge after a year or two is - well - I don't think I'd throw more money at that company.

Excellent point! And, this is my second 6 since they came out. My first one died about a month after I got it.

• Like 1

A great opportunity for a learning experience! It is not expensive to buy the replacement battery and a small kit that can replace it.

Ah, but that would invalidate the insurance I have on it which is why I can turn it in so cheaply.

• Like 1

You can buy those kits on Amazon or eBay to work on cell phones, tablets, etc., for approximately USD $10. I hope to get one eventually.   However, as Moxie wrote, if she replaced the battery herself, it would invalidate the insurance, which apparently covers a bad battery.  There is also a possibility that the battery is not the issue, or, is one of 2 issues.  I'd go for the switch to a different model phone, since this is her 2nd iPhone 6. . 

Edited by Lanny