Menu

I know you're not supposed to put a kid on a diet, but...

TKDmom

Do people mean russets when they say that?  I'll do it with yellow skin etc but on russets - bleh.  How can you make those taste good (apart from deep frying & drenching with cheese - which is how a restaurant here serves them. I hope those people aren't telling themselves it's healthy lol) 

We eat all potato skins.  I am WAY too lazy to peel them.  I don't think they taste bad at all.  We ate the skins growing up too.  I guess my mom was also too lazy to peel them!

• Like 3

From the same guy, this is a really good primer on why meta-analyses are really useless, whether the support the conclusion you want to prove or not.

Statisticians & scientists have been aware of this & there are recognized tools to counter it. Just one bmj aritcle on this topic  http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/1932/1/MetaAnalysisPaper.pdf

Denise Minger is not a scientist &, has no science background. 

Feinman ---- I'm going to say this diplomatically - leaves me cold & unconvinced & rings lots of warning bells.   

I think we all get that you think ketogenic is the solution :)  I disagree because I don't find the evidence for it compelling. 

• Like 2

What happens to me in pregnancy gives me some sympathy for super picky eaters. Foods that I ordinarily like become repugnant--ridiculously, make me gag repugnant.

I'll choke stuff down because yeah my body needs food and I'm an adult with lots of experience making myself do distasteful stuff, but there is nothing remotely pleasant about the experience of eating. And if I do find something that tastes decent to me I'll happily eat that and only that until it becomes repugnant too, nevermind the nutrition content or lack thereof.

Eventually I do emerge from the all-food-is-repugnant phase into the must-eat-everything-in-sight phase. There's no middle ground...

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Do people mean russets when they say that?  I'll do it with yellow skin etc but on russets - bleh.  How can you make those taste good (apart from deep frying & drenching with cheese - which is how a restaurant here serves them. I hope those people aren't telling themselves it's healthy lol) 

Yes, those too.  Scrub them well first.  That's where most of the vitamins are.

• Like 1

I do potatoes a lot with the skins on -- I haven't noticed it being particularly repulsive? But of course different people have different tastes.

I chop them, steam them and then mash them, often with a sweet potato or a few carrots as well. I also microwave them when I'm in a hurry and eat them with salt and pepper. Both of these tend to avoid the tough dry skins that can happen in the oven, and still avoid adding large amounts of oils.

They're actually one of the most nutritious starches, having a decent amount of vitamin C, several B vitamins (except B12), and potassium -- potassium is one of the nutrients that people tend to run short on and is also a good counterbalance to the excess amounts of sodium people tend to consume. And they aren't that high calorie if you don't drown them in fats.  

I love potatoes. I often come home with big bags of potatoes, onions & beets and announce (in my Polish accent) "now we can make it through the winter!"   It's become a joke to not send me to the store because that's pretty much what I'll always buy. 

I mean the meals with these ingredients are almost endless.... Add a cabbage & you're really cooking up a storm  :laugh:

Potatoes are magic. And not just because you can make vodka out of them... 

• Like 5

I love potatoes. I often come home with big bags of potatoes, onions & beets and announce (in my Polish accent) "now we can make it through the winter!"   It's become a joke to not send me to the store because that's pretty much what I'll always buy. 

I mean the meals with these ingredients are almost endless.... Add a cabbage & you're really cooking up a storm  :laugh:

I went to the store a couple weeks ago and they had these 20 lb bags for $3. 

I haven't been eating, like, any other starch since. I figure I'll balance it out once potatoes are off sale :D

• Like 2

We should just all eat like the Japanese- the traditional diet. Very healthy. Too bad I don't like fish.

Mmm. Sushi... The perfect blend of sticky rice and veggies and protein. And pickled ginger. I should just learn to make sushi.  :drool:

What happens to me in pregnancy gives me some sympathy for super picky eaters. Foods that I ordinarily like become repugnant--ridiculously, make me gag repugnant.

I'll choke stuff down because yeah my body needs food and I'm an adult with lots of experience making myself do distasteful stuff, but there is nothing remotely pleasant about the experience of eating. And if I do find something that tastes decent to me I'll happily eat that and only that until it becomes repugnant too, nevermind the nutrition content or lack thereof.

Eventually I do emerge from the all-food-is-repugnant phase into the must-eat-everything-in-sight phase. There's no middle ground...

:lol: I never got tired of ice cream. Which I was I gained 10lbs a month for the last few months of pregnancy. Then on the nursing end, I ate SO much. And lost 50 lbs in 9 months. Sigh... Sometimes I wish I could have a nursing baby without the pregnancy baloney. 

• Like 1

I disagree with the "Don't put kids on a diet" advice.  If a kid is fat, it's necessary to discuss it openly as the health problem it is, and to diet to get rid of excess fat; a diet will do that.  I am not talking about a strict diet, but simply one that controls calories to a reasonable level that allows the child to lose.  I don't see this being successful unless the entire family is willing to eat as the kid eats, however.

Yup, it's a Polish thing; I cook the same way!  Potatoes, cabbage, flour and onions will keep me happy all winter.  All the fixins' for pierogi and buttered cabbage!

OP, is the TKD Tai Kwan Do? And if so, is it you or your children who are involved with that sport? Isn't that a sport that has weight classes? Could that be linked to your problem?

Nan

Yes, it was Tae Kwon Do. I should probably change my user name--it's been almost a year since any of us have been active in TKD. But I don't particularly feel like changing user names. Kids and I were all doing it for several years, but there was no weight training involved, at least not at their age. Maybe for the black belts that were older teens and adults.  My kids didn't participate very far into their teens, and I only advanced up to blue belt. I kinda want to get back into it, and I did a trial class in our new area last week. Oi, my knees hurt for days. And I have no cardiovascular stamina left. I was hoping that I'd get off easy coming in a a "beginner" but no such luck. I was ready to quit less than halfway into the laps we ran during warm-up.

Or are you asking about weight classes, like boxing has (eg heavyweight and lightweight)? That wasn't a consideration, either. For sparring, kids were usually matched up by skill and roughly size, although I got to spar with the occasional 7yo (with me crouching down, making no contact, and leaving my defenses wide open). Sparring in TKD for us was always about being quick, making high kicks, and keeping contact light.

Edited by TKDmom

:lol: I never got tired of ice cream. Which I was I gained 10lbs a month for the last few months of pregnancy. Then on the nursing end, I ate SO much. And lost 50 lbs in 9 months. Sigh... Sometimes I wish I could have a nursing baby without the pregnancy baloney.

Even ice cream has no appeal for me right now.

Sigh.

I always lose weight in early pregnancy because I just can't make myself eat enough not to.

I don't lose while breastfeeding though--even when tandem nursing. Truely unfair, that ...

• Like 1

Yes, it was Tae Kwon Do. I should probably change my user name--it's been almost a year since any of us have been active in TKD. But I don't particularly feel like changing user names. Kids and I were all doing it for several years, but there was no weight training involved, at least not at their age. Maybe for the black belts that were older teens and adults. My kids didn't participate very far into their teens, and I only advanced up to blue belt. I kinda want to get back into it, and I did a trial class in our new area last week. Oi, my knees hurt for days. And I have no cardiovascular stamina left. I was hoping that I'd get off easy coming in a a "beginner" but no such luck. I was ready to quit less than halfway into the laps we ran during warm-up.

Or are you asking about weight classes, like boxing has (eg heavyweight and lightweight)? That wasn't a consideration, either. For sparring, kids were usually matched up by skill and roughly size, although I got to spar with the occasional 7yo (with me crouching down, making no contact, and leaving my defenses wide open). Sparring in TKD for us was always about being quick, making high kicks, and keeping contact light.

I was thinking weight classes. A relative had a string bean TKD champion son and a more normal daughter that they put in TKD for excersize. The whole family did it for awhile. The down side was that they had to register for certain weight classes and weigh in for competitions. The son dropped weight easily. They did a lot of talking about "healthy eating" with the daughter and were pretty unhappy about the emphasis on weight. It doesn,t sound like you are dealing with anything like that, though. Happily! : )

Nan

• Like 2

Even ice cream has no appeal for me right now.

Sigh.

I always lose weight in early pregnancy because I just can't make myself eat enough not to.

I don't lose while breastfeeding though--even when tandem nursing. Truely unfair, that ...

Oh, that is just sad.  :crying:

Most of my pregnancy memories are fuzzy. I probably didn't eat ice cream much until after 4 months. I do remember dh would make me cheesy grits for breakfast during my first trimester with #1. It was one of the few things that I could get down before 3pm. And they came up easy too.  :laugh: It's funny that I still like grits. 

• Like 1

Barring medical issues, your daughter is still young enough that she can grow into her weight.  You cannot have trigger foods in the house (cookies, chips, candy, etc.)  Period.  She can't eat what's not there.  Treats are something you go OUT of the house for every now and then.  If you have a children's hospital near you, find out if they have a childhood obesity clinic and get her in there.

This book is really good: Your Child's Weight: Helping Without Harming

Good luck!  It's a tough place to be, both as a child and as a mom.  People can be so nasty and judgmental.   :grouphug: 

Before I sign off for the night, I just wanted to come back and let you know that I'm really enjoying this book. I love her emphasis on dividing what the parent's role is from the child's role.

DH grew up in a very structured family. They only ate at meals, and they were expected to clean their plates (I have literally never met anyone who has such a clean plate after dinner). Even now, MIL feels offended if the serving bowls aren't empty at the end of a meal. But they don't seem to get why every one of her 5 boys is 100 lbs overweight. 

DH and I decided that we would not do that to our children. I was never expected to eat any more once I decided I was full, and I credited my healthy weight to my parents who didn't make food a big deal for me. They didn't limit me, they didn't force me to eat, and I was always aware of my body's hunger signals. 

Reading through this book, I can see that I've swung too far in the opposite direction. I don't provide much structure for meals outside dinner. I let the kids fend for themselves too often, and I don't sit with them for meals other than dinner. So I have some goals cut out for me in making food more positive.

• Like 3

When I was pregnant and nursing, I ate ice cream out of the carton with a big spoon every night. I was craving it so badly, and I am sure that was my body telling me it had to have the calories. As soon as I weaned, I had no longer any desire for ice cream. I went easily back to my regular weight even before weaning.

• Like 1

When I was pregnant and nursing, I ate ice cream out of the carton with a big spoon every night. I was craving it so badly, and I am sure that was my body telling me it had to have the calories. As soon as I weaned, I had no longer any desire for ice cream. I went easily back to my regular weight even before weaning.

My doctor told me to eat icecream every night when I was pregnant. : )

Nan

Depends on the age. A high schooler? I am a big believer in giving them solid resources so they can learn if they want to. Littler kids? Setting them up for success by what choices are made for the whole family is as far as I go. But by the time puberty is setting in it's better to give them resource access and let the rest be their choice.

That's easy enough if you don't have your own eating issues.  I don't have super major bad eating issues, but growing up with a mother who constantly struggled in that department some stuff does kinda wear off on you.

Plus DH is worse than I am.  His mother had some VERY unhealthy food philosophies.  He'll do whatever I encourage him to do or eat whatever food I buy, but ya know, sometimes I don't want to be in charge of everyone's eating.  If that makes sense. 

• Like 1