Menu

what category is personal finance?

So we need to take an economics course focusing on free enterprise.  I'll just use Abeka Economics.

However, my dd really wants to know about budgets and stuff, so I thought we'd do Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance course.  Would that count as a Social Studies or an Elective or a Math?  I don't need to meet any particular requirements for credit.  It will be a semester course, but I just don't know where to put it in her transcript.

This is Texas, if that helps.

So we need to take an economics course focusing on free enterprise.  I'll just use Abeka Economics.

However, my dd really wants to know about budgets and stuff, so I thought we'd do Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance course.  Would that count as a Social Studies or an Elective or a Math?  I don't need to meet any particular requirements for credit.  It will be a semester course, but I just don't know where to put it in her transcript.

This is Texas, if that helps.

Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance course is 12 hours of DVD, and we put in another 6 hours of discussion, and doing the quizzes. So, 18 hours of work for that program, which is not enough for even 0.25 credit, much less a semester (0.5 credit). It is important to keep your credits "in the ballpark" of being consistent. We counted the Dave Ramsey materials in as part of our with our Economic 0.5 credit.

If you need a 0.5 credit of Personal Finance (which would be an Elective), you'll need to add a fair amount of material to reach a minimal level of 60 hours (see chart below). And way at the bottom are more personal finance resources, if your DD is really interested, as well as some Consumer Math resources.

Another option: if you have a number of other "dribs and drabs" of hours that fit under the Elective of "Consumer Sciences" (Home Ec) heading -- things like sewing, cooking, cleaning, shopping. home maintenance, auto maintenance, etc. -- the Dave Ramsey Personal Finance would fit there. 

Credit hours chart:

. . . . . . . . . . . .lite . . . average . . rigorous

1.00 credit = 120 . . . 150 . . . 180  hours

0.75 credit =   90 . . . 110 . . . 135  hours

0.66 credit =   80 . . . 100 . . . 120  hours

0.50 credit =   60 . . . . 75 . . . . 90  hours

0.33 credit =   40 . . . . 50 . . . . 60  hours

0.25 credit =   30 . . . . 35 . . . . 45  hours

Consumer Math programs (all are 1-year / 1-credit)

Abeka's Consumer Math (Christian) 

AGS Consumer Math (Wieser Education -- Pearson published a revised version) (secular) 

Alpha Omega Consumer Math (Christian)

Bob Jones Consumer Math (Christian)

Math-U-See Stewardship (Christian)

Walch Publishing: Consumer Math (Power Basics series) (secular)

FREE Consumer Math supplemental resources

Math & You (Ron Larson) (secular) -- 1 semester; free text with consumer math topics mixed with other topics

Money Instructor: Spending Money and Consumer Math (lessons) (secular)

Math Central, U Regina CA: grade 10 Consumer Math (projects, problems, etc.) (secular)

Summit High School, Mr. Fisher: Consumer Math & Personal Finance (4 downloadable workbooks) (secular)

IOHS: Weebly: Consumer Math (131-page workbook of consumer math -- exercise sets only) (secular)

Beatrice Schools: Consumer Math (printable worksheets) (secular)

ALEKS Business Math

- Mathematic Foundations (Whole Numbers, Fractions, Decimals, Solving for the Unknown, Business Statistics)

- Percents and Their Applications (Discounts: Trade and Cash, Markups and Markdowns, Payroll, Sales, Excise, and Property Tax, Interest, Promissory Notes, Simple Discount Notes, and the Discount Process, Compound Interest and Present Value, Annuities and Sinking Funds, Installment Buying, Rule of 78, and Revolving Charge Credit Cards)

- Personal Finance (Banking, Cost of Home Ownership, Life-Fire-Auto Insurance, Stocks-Bonds-Mutual Funds)

- Business Finance (How to Read, Analyze, and Interpret Financial Reports, Depreciation, Inventory and Overhead)

- Other Topics Available (Chain discounts: Single equivalent discount rate

Employer tax responsibilities, Actual sales before taxes, Making partial note payments before due date, Annuity due, Paying off installment loans before due date, Sum-of-the-years'-digits depreciation)

Personal Finance Supplements

My Father's World: Personal Finance Elective (uses Money Matters for Teens (Burkett), Money, Possessions & Eternity (Alcorn) and has lesson plans) (Christian)

- Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance (DVD lectures & workbook)

- Larry Burkett's Money Matters for Teens

FREE Personal Finance resources

The Actuarial Foundation: Building Your Future (downloadable, 4 units: Banking, Financing, Investing, Succeeding)

NWT Literacy Council: Money Math (downloadable workbook on Personal Finance, Saving Money, Consumer Math) (secular)

Money Skills (FULL CURRICULUM: online reality-based personal finance high school program) (secular)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Lori D.,

I was going to use his Foundations in Personal Finance Kit from cbd:

http://www.christianbook.com/foundations-personal-finance-homeschool-new-edition/dave-ramsey/pd/948187?product_redirect=1&Ntt=948187&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

It has a teacher's edition, 12 hours of dvd, and a 288 page student book.  Plus some website access. 

Are you saying that it's still not a semester or did you not have these additional resources available to you at the time?  I really thought I read somewhere that it was a semester long course.  I appreciate any info you give me.  :)

Lori D.,

http://www.christianbook.com/foundations-personal-finance-homeschool-new-edition/dave-ramsey/pd/948187?product_redirect=1&Ntt=948187&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

It has a teacher's edition, 12 hours of dvd, and a 288 page student book.  Plus some website access. 

Are you saying that it's still not a semester or did you not have these additional resources available to you at the time?  I really thought I read somewhere that it was a semester long course.  I appreciate any info you give me.   :)

We did Dave and spent an hour a day for the whole semester on it. There were plenty of activities and some of them were really good. We skipped few and added a few of our own too.

• Like 3

If you are using the text, too, you should be fine time-wise.  Pay attention to what is included, though, to be sure it has everything you want your dc to learn.  I seem to remember that part of why I chose the standard high school curriculum I chose (Personal Finance by Kapoor) was that it included things Dave Ramsey did not. 

• Like 2

Lori D.,

Are you saying that it's still not a semester or did you not have these additional resources available to you at the time?  I really thought I read somewhere that it was a semester long course.  I appreciate any info you give me.   :)

Correct. We used both the DVDs and the student book, which is mostly comprehension questions to go with the video segments. That, and discussion, added maybe another 6 hours to our time. Website access did not exist when we used the program, so you may be able to add more material, information, projects, etc. that way.

Apparently we must have missed quite a lot somehow (???) as I do not remember any activities that Momto2Ns mentions -- and I have quite a lot of trust and respect for her! So if she says there's enough to spend an hour a day every day for a semester, then you certainly have enough for 0.5 credit of Personal Finance as an Elective. :)

Thanks to those who contributed your own experiences with the program! :) And best of luck, original poster! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

OP, here is the table of contents for a recent edition of the text I used with my dc.  I encourage you to compare it to the Dave Ramsey TOC to see if there are topics you want to supplement.  http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0073530697/information_center_view0/table_of_contents.html

This is the site for the edition we used.  This site has chapter summary pages, flashcards, and online quizzes which we found helpful.  http://glencoe.mheducation.com/sites/0078698006/student_view0/unit1/chapter1/index.html

• Like 2

I don't know exactly what activities Dave Ramsey includes, but we're planning on doing that and adding these "assignments":

• make a budget and meal plan for groceries for the week, shopping for it, and making those planned meals
  • make a budget for clothing for the year and shopping for it
  • create a detailed budget for their 1st year out of college with a job in their field (I imagine this is similar the the H&R Block Budget Challenge?)

I know these fall under the category of life skills and some may not think they're worthy of being included in a credit, but they are skills that do take some time to learn so I feel comfortable including the practice of them in a .5 credit elective course. YMMV. :)

Apparently we must have missed quite a lot somehow (???) as I do not remember any activities that Momto2Ns mentions -- and I have quite a lot of trust and respect for her! So if she says there's enough to spend an hour a day every day for a semester, then you certainly have enough for 0.5 credit of Personal Finance as an Elective. :)

You did miss something Lori. At least the version I had came with a CD that had "activities" They were pdf's of worksheets. There were budgets, check writing and checkbook balancing, how to read a stock report, looking up investment return rates and calculating returns on various investments, using ads to find an apartment and figure out housing costs, etc., enough roughly for 1 a day for the semester. Some of them took just a few minutes, some took significant time and effort. They were the application portion of the program. The DVD's taught the concept, then you used what you learned and learned some more doing the activities.

• Like 1

You did miss something Lori. At least the version I had came with a CD that had "activities" They were pdf's of worksheets. There were budgets, check writing and checkbook balancing, how to read a stock report, looking up investment return rates and calculating returns on various investments, using ads to find an apartment and figure out housing costs, etc., enough roughly for 1 a day for the semester. Some of them took just a few minutes, some took significant time and effort. They were the application portion of the program. The DVD's taught the concept, then you used what you learned and learned some more doing the activities.

Thanks Debbie!  Wow, totally mom fail here -- I don't remember ever seeing any CD in the package of materials; just the box of 4 DVDs and the student workbook and TM. :(

That all sounds very worthwhile! Fortunately, both DSs DID do a consumer math program, but it sounds like this material would cover much of the same material and types of work that a consumer math program requires...

• Like 1

Thanks Debbie!  Wow, totally mom fail here -- I don't remember ever seeing any CD in the package of materials; just the box of 4 DVDs and the student workbook and TM. :(

That all sounds very worthwhile! Fortunately, both DSs DID do a consumer math program, but it sounds like this material would cover much of the same material and types of work that a consumer math program requires...

I think consumer math would still have been valuable. There would have been overlap, but Dave's stuff was still very light on math. 

I have seen personal finance and economics under the headings of elective, social studies, and math.

For oldschool families that were not pursuing advanced maths, it was often used as a math credit.

For busy unschooling families with kids that were covering a lot of untraditional history but not a text, it was often called social studies, especially if a text was used.

Newspapers in Education FREE resources

http://www.nieteacher.org/#financiallit

If you click on the link in my signature, the last level of my Ray's math scope and sequence lists the Ray's financial literacy topics and some links to free ideas and books and videos.

Economics can get really political. You might want to look at overlapping economics and politics into your literature curriculum. Jack London wrote some interesting books I only recently became aware of. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Heel Dover sells a cheap copy of the Communist Manifesto that has lots of other bits and bobs added to it. http://m.doverpublications.com/0486424650.html

Edited by Hunter