Menu

Emergency math situation

I would rather not go into details but I need to take on the teaching of algebra 2 when I was planning to use thinkwell. I found a new copy of Intermediate Algebra, a graphing approach, 4th edition by Martin-Gay and Greene. Published by Pearson/prentice hall. Isbn 978-0-13-600733-3

It has a DVD with the test problems worked and it is unopened.

Opinions on if this can work for algebra 2 and would we need to finish the entire text to "count" for a credit? It appears to be a college text (probably remedial?) so that's why I'm not sure.

Do I need to find a teacher edition? I'm pretty overwhelmed having to make this switch midstream. The good news is I have a strong math foundation and took through calculus B in high school. I think I can handle this but I've never done math completely on my own. I don't have another choice at this point although I could possibly get another very cheap text (this was at savers for 2.99).

I don't know anything about the text, but I found a solutions manual at Amazon. Used copies are available for about $2.00 plus $3.99 for shipping. According to the reviews, the solutions (not just answers) are shown for the odd numbered problems in the text.

Product Details
  • Paperback: 648 pages
  • Publisher: Pearson; 6 edition (April 28, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0321785320
  • ISBN-13: 978-0321785329
  • Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 1.3 x 10.7 inches

I hope this helps! Best wishes!

• Like 2

Never heard of the text, but you don't usually have to cover every chapter for a full Alg 2 credit.

Someone might be able to help with what you can cut out if you post chapter titles, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. The skippable chapters are probably not at the front of the book.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Never heard of the text, but you don't usually have to cover every chapter for a full Alg 2 credit.

Someone might be able to help with what you can cut out if you post chapter titles, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. The skippable chapters are probably not at the front of the book.

Good luck!

Published Date: Jun 11, 2008

Table of Contents

Chapter 1  Real Numbers, Algebraic Expressions, and Equations

1.1 Tips for Success in Mathematics

1.2 Algebraic Expressions and Sets of Numbers

1.3 Operations on Real Numbers

1.4 Properties of Real Numbers

Integrated Review — Algebraic Expressions, Operations on Real Numbers, and Properties

1.5 Solving Linear Equations Algebraically

1.6 An Introduction to Problem Solving

1.7 A Numerical Approach:  Modeling with Tables

1.8 Formulas and Problem Solving

Chapter 2  Graphs and Functions

2.1 Graphing Equations

2.2 Introduction to Functions

2.3 Graphing Linear Functions

2.4 The Slope of a Line

2.5 Equations of Lines

Integrated Review — Linear Equations in Two Variables

2.6 Interpreting Data:  Linear Models

2.7 Graphing Piecewise-Defined Functions and Shifting and Reflecting Graphs of Functions

Chapter 3  Equations and Inequalities

3.1 Solving Linear Equations Graphically

3.2 Linear Inequalities and Problem Solving

Integrated Review — Linear Equations and Inequalities

3.3 Compound Inequalities

3.4 Absolute Value Equations

3.5 Absolute Value Inequalities

3.6 Graphing Linear Inequalities in Two Variables

Chapter 4 Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities

4.1Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables

4.2 Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables

4.3 Systems of Linear Equations and Problem Solving

Integrated Review — Systems of Linear Equations

4.4 Solving Systems of Equations by Matrices

4.5 Systems of Linear Inequalities

Chapter 5  Exponents, Polynomials, and Polynomial Functions

5.1 Exponents and Scientific Notation

5.2 More Work with Exponents and Scientific Notation

5.3 Polynomials and Polynomial Functions

5.4 Multiplying Polynomials

5.5 The Greatest Common Factor and Factoring by Grouping

5.6 Factoring Trinomials

5.7 Factoring by Special Products

Integrated Review — Operations on Polynomials and Factoring Strategies

5.8 Solving Equations by Factoring and Problem Solving

Chapter 6  Rational Expressions

6.1 Rational Functions and Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions

6.2 Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions

6.3 Simplifying Complex Fractions

6.4 Dividing Polynomials:  Long Divisions and Synthetic Division

6.5 Solving Equations Containing Rational Expressions

Integrated Review — Expressions and Equations Containing Rational Expressions

6.6 Rational Equations and Problem Solving

6.7 Variation and Problem Solving

Chapter 7  Rational Exponents, Radicals, and Complex Numbers

7.1 Radicals and Radical Functions

7.2 Rational Exponents

7.3 Simplifying Radical Expressions

7.4 Adding, Subtracting, and Multiplying Radical Expressions

7.5 Rationalizing Denominators and Numerators of Radical Expressions

Integrated Review — Radicals and Rational Exponents

7.6 Radical Equations and Problem Solving

7.7 Complex Numbers

Chapter 8 Quadratic Equations and Functions

8.1 Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square

8.2 Solving Quadratic Equations by the Quadratic Formula

8.3 Solving Equations by Using Quadratic Methods

Integrated Review — Summary on Solving Quadratic Equations

8.4 Nonlinear Inequalities in One Variable

8.5 Quadratic Functions and Their Graphs

8.6 Further Graphing of Quadratic Functions

8.7 Interpreting Data:  Linear and Quadratic Models

Chapter 9  Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

9.1 The Algebra of Functions; Composite Functions

9.2 Inverse Functions

9.3 Exponential Functions

9.4 Logarithmic Functions

9.5 Properties of Logarithms

Integrated Review — Functions and Properties of Logarithms

9.6 Common Logarithms, Natural Logarithms, and Change of Base

9.7 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations and Applications

Chapter 10  Conic Sections

10.1 The Parabola and the Circle

10.2 The Ellipse and the Hyperbola

Integrated Review — Graphing Conic Sections

10.3 Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations

10.4 Nonlinear Inequalities and Systems of Inequalities

Chapter 11 Sequences, Series, and the Binomial Theorem

11.1 Sequences

11.2 Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences

11.3 Series

Integrated Review — Sequences and Series

11.4 Partial Sums of Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences

11.5 The Binomial Theorem

Appendices

A  The Bigger Picture/Practice Final Exam

B   Geometry

C  Stretching and Compressing Graphs of Absolute Value Functions

D  Solving Systems of Equations Using Determinants

E  Graphing Stat Plots and Regression Equations

• Like 2

I would rather not go into details but I need to take on the teaching of algebra 2 when I was planning to use thinkwell. I found a new copy of Intermediate Algebra, a graphing approach, 4th edition by Martin-Gay and Greene. Published by Pearson/prentice hall. Isbn 978-0-13-600733-3

It has a DVD with the test problems worked and it is unopened.

Opinions on if this can work for algebra 2 and would we need to finish the entire text to "count" for a credit? It appears to be a college text (probably remedial?) so that's why I'm not sure.

Do I need to find a teacher edition? I'm pretty overwhelmed having to make this switch midstream. The good news is I have a strong math foundation and took through calculus B in high school. I think I can handle this but I've never done math completely on my own. I don't have another choice at this point although I could possibly get another very cheap text (this was at savers for 2.99).

I published the TOC above.  For HS Algebra 2 I would cover this whole book especially if your student is math capable.

You could cover Trig in your next class but I would find some basic Probability and Stats material to supplement (at least as much as needed for the PSAT).

Teacher editions are usually not needed - a solutions manual is a better way to go.

Good luck.

reviews are all over the spectrum:

https://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Algebra-Graphing-Approach-4th/dp/0136007333

Edited by MarkT

I wanted to mention that the Virtual Homeschool Group offers an Algebra 2 self-paced class (videos, homework & tests auto-graded by computer) for free and it can be started at any time. You would only need to buy an older version (2nd or 3rd edition) of the Saxon Algebra 2 textbook. It needs to be the older edition, which is usually plentiful on Amazon. If students need extra help there are open office hours for drop-in help. The book is well-written and contains good explanations. The nice thing about this option is that you would not need to do any of the grading. If you want to teach in addition to the videos that is an option, too. There is a solutions manual but most families do not need it.

• Like 1

I would definitely cover the whole text for an Algebra 2 credit.

My only experience with using an Intermediate Algebra text (so remedial) for Algebra 2 is with the Lial book.  The Lial book (IMO) is little more than a beefed up Algebra 1 text.  In looking at the TOC for the book you're interested in, it appears that it might cover a little bit more than the Lial book did, but not much.

I compared the Lial Intermediate Algebra book to Derek Owens' Algebra 2 course here.  Scroll down to post 8.  I realize that you are not thinking about using Lial, but I suspect that most remedial texts are similar in that they are trying to get students up to precalculus as painlessly as possible, so they put off all of the more difficult stuff until then.

I wanted to mention that the Virtual Homeschool Group offers an Algebra 2 self-paced class (videos, homework & tests auto-graded by computer) for free and it can be started at any time. You would only need to buy an older version (2nd or 3rd edition) of the Saxon Algebra 2 textbook. It needs to be the older edition, which is usually plentiful on Amazon. If students need extra help there are open office hours for drop-in help. The book is well-written and contains good explanations. The nice thing about this option is that you would not need to do any of the grading. If you want to teach in addition to the videos that is an option, too. There is a solutions manual but most families do not need it.

Thank you. I was getting all excited at "free" and "Saxon" until I remembered the big reason we are in this position is that we have no computer. (I'm on my phone) And we don't know when we will as my husband quit his full time employment to start a business. I will keep this in mind for the future though :)

I published the TOC above. For HS Algebra 2 I would cover this whole book especially if your student is math capable.

You could cover Trig in your next class but I would find some basic Probability and Stats material to supplement (at least as much as needed for the PSAT).

Teacher editions are usually not needed - a solutions manual is a better way to go.

Good luck.

reviews are all over the spectrum:

https://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Algebra-Graphing-Approach-4th/dp/0136007333

Thank you. I was just offered a copy of Saxon algebra 2 from a friend. I may go that route instead.

I would definitely cover the whole text for an Algebra 2 credit.

My only experience with using an Intermediate Algebra text (so remedial) for Algebra 2 is with the Lial book. The Lial book (IMO) is little more than a beefed up Algebra 1 text. In looking at the TOC for the book you're interested in, it appears that it might cover a little bit more than the Lial book did, but not much.

I compared the Lial Intermediate Algebra book to Derek Owens' Algebra 2 course here. Scroll down to post 8. I realize that you are not thinking about using Lial, but I suspect that most remedial texts are similar in that they are trying to get students up to precalculus as painlessly as possible, so they put off all of the more difficult stuff until then.

I forgot about Lial's. I have a copy but it says introductory algebra so that must be more like algebra 1?

Thank you. I was getting all excited at "free" and "Saxon" until I remembered the big reason we are in this position is that we have no computer. (I'm on my phone) And we don't know when we will as my husband quit his full time employment to start a business. I will keep this in mind for the future though :)

That's too bad about the computer. Do you have an ipad or access to the library? If not you could still do the course yourself straight from the book, but not all the problems are answered in the book so you may want to get an answer key for the even problems. I do like the way the book is written. It is easy to understand.

Thank you. I was just offered a copy of Saxon algebra 2 from a friend. I may go that route instead.

if you didn't use Saxon algebra 1 then I do NOT recommend this approach.

The Martin-Gay and Greene text is probably fine many of the reviews were high.  

I believe Saxon Algebra 2 (3rd) may have some Prob and Stats so you could use those lessons along with the Martin-Gay and Greene text.

added: Saxon Lessons 116, 129 so not much there.

Edited by MarkT

I forgot about Lial's. I have a copy but it says introductory algebra so that must be more like algebra 1?

Yes, Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1 (and it is a fairly rigorous and complete Algebra 1 text--it's the Intermediate Algebra text that is incomplete).

• Like 1

That's too bad about the computer. Do you have an ipad or access to the library? If not you could still do the course yourself straight from the book, but not all the problems are answered in the book so you may want to get an answer key for the even problems. I do like the way the book is written. It is easy to understand.

iPad yes but thinkwell videos wouldn't work on it so I didn't explore any further. Going to a library daily would not work. We have broken two computers in 3 months and honestly I'm relieved at not being tied to a computer for school. Math was the last hold out. It is so much easier for us to just pull out a book and be done. So I think with all the stress we have right now that not having the stress of school being dependent on electronics will be nice. Oh yeah our wifi is unreliable too. Edited by busymama7
  • Like 1

if you didn't use Saxon algebra 1 then I do NOT recommend this approach.

The Martin-Gay and Greene text is probably fine many of the reviews were high.

I believe Saxon Algebra 2 (3rd) may have some Prob and Stats so you could use those lessons along with the Martin-Gay and Greene text.

added: Saxon Lessons 116, 129 so not much there.

Thank you for letting me know this. We have never used Saxon. My goals here are to make sure the boys can score well on SAT/ACT and not have to take remedial math at college. I want to be sure they have a strong foundation for building later. One will likely not need much college math if he can get what he needs now(music major). The other is going into the sciences but is only a freshman so we have time and he is strong in math and finds it easy.

My friend is not using her Saxon algebra 2 this year so I could borrow it for those lessons later. Thanks!

Martin-Gay's text is OUTSTANDING.  It's not well known, but one of the best out there.  She is one of the rare authors who personally solves every single problem to make sure they are on point and not filled with meaningless tricks or pitfalls.

She posts the solutions to most of her problems on youtube.  You won't need a teacher's edition.

If you get through that text, then you will be well-prepared for precalculus.

• Like 4

Thank you for letting me know this. We have never used Saxon. My goals here are to make sure the boys can score well on SAT/ACT and not have to take remedial math at college. I want to be sure they have a strong foundation for building later. One will likely not need much college math if he can get what he needs now(music major). The other is going into the sciences but is only a freshman so we have time and he is strong in math and finds it easy.

My friend is not using her Saxon algebra 2 this year so I could borrow it for those lessons later. Thanks!

Ok SAT has almost no Trig except for right triangle stuff  -  others can speak to the ACT

For the SAT prep there are Khan Academy support videos which you can see on Youtube -  you can locate the ones you want and have a friend save them off on DVD for you (there are apps for that) such as in FLV or MP4 format.  

Eventually you should get at least one computer that works (maybe buy a used PC and load Ubuntu Linux which will be more efficient).

google 

"SAT Chapter 20 Problem Solving and Data Analysis"

for a PDF file 

Ok SAT has almost no Trig except for right triangle stuff - others can speak to the ACT

For the SAT prep there are Khan Academy support videos which you can see on Youtube - you can locate the ones you want and have a friend save them off on DVD for you (there are apps for that) such as in FLV or MP4 format.

Eventually you should get at least one computer that works (maybe buy a used PC and load Ubuntu Linux which will be more efficient).

google

"SAT Chapter 20 Problem Solving and Data Analysis"

for a PDF file

Yes we will have a computer within 4-6 months I would say but in the meantime we need to do MATH 😉

The younger boy has not had geometry yet but in this challenging state I decided to combine them for algebra 2 this year. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

For the older one, if he does pre calc next year, does that cover trig?

Yes we will have a computer within 4-6 months I would say but in the meantime we need to do MATH 😉

The younger boy has not had geometry yet but in this challenging state I decided to combine them for algebra 2 this year. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

That's doable my nephew did Alg 1 ->  Alg 2 -> Geo  - he scored 700 on the SAT

Get started with the text you have it will be fine

The other stuff I mentioned was more for SAT prep.  When is the older student taking that test?  Next Spring 2017 or following year?

Edited by MarkT

That's doable my nephew did Alg 1 -> Alg 2 -> Geo - he scored 700 on the SAT

Get started with the text you have it will be fine

The other stuff I mentioned was more for SAT prep. When is the older student taking that test? Next Spring 2017 or following year?

Thanks!

We are waiting as long as possible with him so probably next fall. He has (undiagnosed formally) dyslexia so we are trying to get a diagnosis so he can get accommodations. It's a very long wait list (1-1.5 years). We've been waiting about 8 months.

Martin-Gay's text is OUTSTANDING. It's not well known, but one of the best out there. She is one of the rare authors who personally solves every single problem to make sure they are on point and not filled with meaningless tricks or pitfalls.

She posts the solutions to most of her problems on youtube. You won't need a teacher's edition.

If you get through that text, then you will be well-prepared for precalculus.

Thank you so much. This is very encouraging! We can use iPad for YouTube. I think I will get the solutions manual anyways just in case our internet is out ;)

Chapter 11 Sequences, Series, and the Binomial Theorem

11.1 Sequences

11.2 Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences

11.3 Series Integrated Review — Sequences and Series

11.4 Partial Sums of Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences

11.5 The Binomial Theorem

This would be the only negotiable chapter, IMO. It is a good material to cover, but if you have a time crunch, this is the one you could skip. This is usually in Alg 2 texts, but I've seen a couple syllabi (for Foerster's Alg 2, for example) which skip this material for non-honors courses. 

Ok we are two days in. It's going fine.

I have a question. The lessons are quite long. Lots of info to go over and a lot of problems in the practice set. We did half the lesson one day with half the problems (luckily they are organized like the lesson!) and the other half today. Does this seem like a good pace to keep up? I'd like to do s lesson a day but looking to tomorrow's, it's long! 125 problems (but I'm having them do only odd).

I think I counted 76 lessons with 11 chapter reviews and 11 tests. At two days a lesson that seems about right for a year's worth of work. Is there something I'm not considering? The thing is tomorrow's lesson is long but it's all a review. I think they could do it all but it might take quite a long time. Wondering if I should push it though so we have more wiggle room later. I've never used a program set up like this so I'm trying to figure this out. I was expecting a lesson a day.

Pace is tough to assess.  I generally recommend setting aside a month for contingency.  If you need to go long, then go long - the start is a bit late, after all.

Doing a 60-problem set is entirely unnecessary.  Maybe half of what you are assigning is essential (~20-30 per day).  Additional problems are provided for practice where needed (the authors can't identify up front which types of problems a particular student will struggle with). 

Beyond the 20-30, add in an another 5-10 problems for those types which prove to be more difficult.  In other words, focus practice on where it adds the most value.

Doing every problem in a developmental math textbook is unnecessary unless your student needs massive amounts of drill. Every other is more than enough. Even less would be fine for a quick student. Save the rest for review if needed. I do recommend working through all of the chapter review problems -- this is a good time to go back and work extras out of each section that your student didn't get. 

Doing every problem in a developmental math textbook is unnecessary unless your student needs massive amounts of drill. Every other is more than enough. Even less would be fine for a quick student. Save the rest for review if needed. I do recommend working through all of the chapter review problems -- this is a good time to go back and work extras out of each section that your student didn't get.

We are only doing odds :)

We are only doing odds :)

My daughter used Lial's.  I used to assign about every fourth or fifth problem.  If she got any wrong, I asked her to correct her work and then do another problem of the same type.

Some of those problem sets are huge!

Regards,

Kareni

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1 (and it is a fairly rigorous and complete Algebra 1 text--it's the Intermediate Algebra text that is incomplete).

I have to differ with you on this one!

I have a boat load of Algebra 2 texts.  The Lial Intermediate Algebra text is a GREAT Algebra 2 text!

The way it is set up it does a quick review of Algebra 1-- then it springboards into deeper topics.

I have almost 30 years of teaching experience and I've taught Algebra 2 from more than 10 different texts.

This text (Lial Intermediate Algebra) is standard.  Some texts go more into PRE-CALC or TRIG but these are optional chapters.

Derek Owens is not a bench mark.  His classes are very good-- and close to honors level.  The fact that he incorporates more Pre-Calc topics  just means he expects his students to retain more of their Algebra 1... I get students from all sorts of Algebra 1 backgrounds-- and even with my former students who made high A's -- the 'review' in the Lial Intermediate Algebra text is PRICELESS!

My own daughters used the Lial program and had Zero issues moving into Pre-Calc-- in fact they both made A's and they are NOT natural math students!  I've also taught 100's and 100's of students from this program.

Just wanted to give another perspective-- this program is ON LEVEL.  It is published by the same publisher as the Martin Gaye text-- just a different perspective /teaching viewpoint...

• Like 4

I have to differ with you on this one!

I used the Lial Intermediate Algebra book with both of my children primarily because of your strenuous recommendation of it on here.  And I agree with you that it is an excellent text *for what it does*.  It does do a fabulous review of Algebra I, which was extremely valuable for both of my students.  But my opinion is that by omitting some pretty key material (for example, it doesn't discuss how to deal with polynomials of >degree 3) that other standard texts (Holt, for example) retain, it is not a complete Algebra 2 course.

I used the Lial Intermediate Algebra book with both of my children primarily because of your strenuous recommendation of it on here.  And I agree with you that it is an excellent text *for what it does*.  It does do a fabulous review of Algebra I, which was extremely valuable for both of my students.  But my opinion is that by omitting some pretty key material (for example, it doesn't discuss how to deal with polynomials of >degree 3) that other standard texts (Holt, for example) retain, it is not a complete Algebra 2 course.

Yes, some texts introduce more Pre-Calc topics (College Algebra 3 and Trig)-- the Lial Intermediate Text does offer many of these optional 'sneak peak' topics in the appendix (synthetic division...) these are covered in detail 'from the beginning' in a typical Pre-Calc text (like Lial's Pre-Calc chapter 3)... 

• Like 1

Yes, some texts introduce more Pre-Calc topics (College Algebra 3 and Trig)-- the Lial Intermediate Text does offer many of these optional 'sneak peak' topics in the appendix (synthetic division...) these are covered in detail 'from the beginning' in a typical Pre-Calc text (like Lial's Pre-Calc chapter 3)... 

The thing that's odd about the Lial Intermediate Algebra book is that her Introductory Algebra book is so very thorough.  It's not like the Introductory book hardly covers anything so the Intermediate book is just picking up where it left off.  The Intermediate book is mostly a rehashing of what was covered in the Introductory book.

To me, this is surprising because the intended audience for the Intermediate book is a community college student who has either recently placed into the course or has recently actually taken a course using (presumably) the Introductory book and passed it.  It is not a high school student who has had a year of geometry in between Algebra I and II and needs a bunch of review.  

So what would be the reasoning behind introducing tons of new material in the Introductory Algebra and Precalculus (I have this one too, and I agree that it covers everything) books and very little in the Intermediate Algebra book?  If I were a CC student enrolled in this sequence, I'd feel like the Intermediate course had wasted my time and money.

• Like 1

Ok we are two days in. It's going fine.

I have a question. The lessons are quite long. Lots of info to go over and a lot of problems in the practice set. We did half the lesson one day with half the problems (luckily they are organized like the lesson!) and the other half today. Does this seem like a good pace to keep up? I'd like to do s lesson a day but looking to tomorrow's, it's long! 125 problems (but I'm having them do only odd).

I think I counted 76 lessons with 11 chapter reviews and 11 tests. At two days a lesson that seems about right for a year's worth of work. Is there something I'm not considering? The thing is tomorrow's lesson is long but it's all a review. I think they could do it all but it might take quite a long time. Wondering if I should push it though so we have more wiggle room later. I've never used a program set up like this so I'm trying to figure this out. I was expecting a lesson a day.

I have that book!

I would get the student solutions manual before the teachers guide. Teachers guide will have answers to the even problems (solution manual has all odds) but you most likely won't need to EVER do all of the problems.

I had my girls aim for 10-20 problems per lesson. I highlighted or circled them, making sure to get 1-2 of each type of problem. If there was one thathey missed, I then assigned another problem of the same type. My reasoning was if they understood they didn't need to do 5 of every kind of problem, and if they didn't, doing all of them wrong wasn't helpful, and didn't leave any odd problems (wih solutions in the student solutions manual) to do after we went over the lesson or mistakes. KWIM?

Edited by Rebel Yell

So what would be the reasoning behind introducing tons of new material in the Introductory Algebra and Precalculus (I have this one too, and I agree that it covers everything) books and very little in the Intermediate Algebra book?  If I were a CC student enrolled in this sequence, I'd feel like the Intermediate course had wasted my time and money.

In most of the intermediate classes, they're full of people who placed into them with patchy knowledge of algebra 1 and algebra 2 topics, as well as a smattering of precalculus, but no real depth to what they do know. Because there is so much variety in student backgrounds, nothing can really be assumed, and certainly not a thorough knowledge of algebra 1.

The students who place into introductory algebra in the first place tend to be people who are either a long way out of math or people who are real math strugglers. So even though the introductory algebra text itself is thorough, what students actually pass the class with is frequently much less thorough. There is indeed more repetition for students who really "got" introductory algebra, but this is a sufficiently small minority that in most cases they just need to suck it up and take intermediate algebra anyway.