Menu

Magazines for older teens, maybe a good gift???

Prairie~Phlox

I am trying to come up with some type of "reading" gift for Christmas and was thinking maybe a magazine subscription this year.  I have an ~19 year old dd, she's gluten free and also likes girly things & doing her nails.  Ds~ 17 is into computers & gaming.  Ds 15 was wanting a drone and also into gaming & science.  Any suggestions?

Also where is the best place to get magazine subscriptions? It's been years since I've even had any, but thought it might be a good gift? Thoughts?

Check Amazon first - they carry many magazine subscriptions cheaper than I have found elsewhere.

Would any of them enjoy Mental Floss?

The print edition of Mental Floss is ceasing publication. They are going online only, because that is where they are making money. This was just announced.

I stopped getting most magazines except for the Cricket types for my kids. I use Zinnio app and check everything out through the library. They have tons, and they're so easy to read on the iPad. :) Your library may use another app or interface. It's refreshing not to have magazine clutter. I have a hard time purging them. :)

I will second Make magazine for your 15 year old science and drone nut :)

It's expensive. AFAIK only available through the Make website. Sometimes around the holiday they have a buy one get one free, so if you know someone else interested, you could cut the subscription price by half if you split.

DS had a subscription for one year about 3 years ago and continually rereads them.

The print edition of Mental Floss is ceasing publication. They are going online only, because that is where they are making money. This was just announced.

This ticks me off!  That's my son's favorite magazine and I just got him a subscription for his birthday a few months ago.  I think he's only received two issues so far.   :(

I'd probably deal with Amazon or directly with the magazine company. I've been burned before in a magazine scam. Though, I'm sure there are other legit places to buy them.

Do you know if they will read them? Ds has been gifted a magazine subscription for like 2 years and he hardly looks at them. We have to remind him he has them and should read them.