Menu

For those who use the Apologia science series...

StaceyinLA

What order do you use them in? We have the anatomy one someone gave us, and my dd was thinking of loosely using it for K with dgs. I'm noticing they have new junior notebooking journals, so I'm wondering if it would work for him. He LOVES doing lap booking and stuff, and I usually do that kind of stuff with him since dd has 2 younger children too and can't always make all that mess. We are using the book to make a little lap book, but I'm thinking he might like the younger kids journal.

I'm curious though, whether there is an order that makes more sense, and hoping to get some advice. Thanks!

What order do you use them in? We have the anatomy one someone gave us, and my dd was thinking of loosely using it for K with dgs. I'm noticing they have new junior notebooking journals, so I'm wondering if it would work for him. He LOVES doing lap booking and stuff, and I usually do that kind of stuff with him since dd has 2 younger children too and can't always make all that mess. We are using the book to make a little lap book, but I'm thinking he might like the younger kids journal.

I'm curious though, whether there is an order that makes more sense, and hoping to get some advice. Thanks!

I can't speak to advice on order, but if you have a Mardel near you you can get flip through the Jr. Notebook to see if it's what you want. I decided against it for K because it was more writing than we were ready for and I didn't think the activities for the one I looked at (Astronomy) were all that neat for the price. I could Pinterest that part for free. I love the regular notebooks for older kids, but wasn't impressed with the Jr. edition. Of course ymmv. 

There isn't a specified order, but some of them contain more challenging concepts than others. I didn't actually read the anatomy book because ds was working independently by the time we got to it (grade 5), but my feeling was that it was too advanced for K. And actually, dd was in K at that time, and what I did was just check out books from the library that were on her level that corresponded to whatever chapter ds was in. 

I've only bought the Jr. journal for the Flying Creatures book. It has handwriting pages for the student to write narrations in, which my kids at least would not have used in K. It had coloring pages and some copywork pages. It had booklists for extra reading. I cannot remember if the jr. book had the lapbooking cutouts in them. Even at grade 3, which is what year I bought the jr journal for, I didn't really like it. My son actually needed MORE pages for his narrations (because he loves science), and he didn't care about the coloring pages.

• Like 1

I agree, my dd used Anatomy in 6th grade...not sure I'd want to use it for K (actually I think they are all a bit wordy for K, but maybe for a science-lover. Astronomy seems "younger" to me and would probably be an easier fit for a K student). There's not a specified order, except they do recommend doing the zoology books in order. To me, the series is closer to 2nd-6th, but maybe K or 1st for a tag-along sibling or a child who really wants more. 

• Like 1

The Anatomy book is really meant for older kids 5th or 6th grades.  Either the Astronomy book or the Zoology books are best for younger ages.  The Jr. Journals are very nice.  There are pages for them to color and also areas to write.  There are some cut and paste things too, like a lap book.  They jr journals are geared towards k-2/3rd and then the regular journals 3rd/4th and up.  It really depends on the ability of the child.

For k though you really do not need a full curriculum unless you really want one.  You could just use something like the Usborne Big Book of Science Experiments and just do some fun things without it being so formal.  I really would not start a formal curriculum till first or second grade.

The notebooking journals have pretty good library book lists to go along with the lessons, beautiful coloring pages, a vocabulary activity, handwriting pages ,extra project ideas and a cut and paste activity per lesson. If I had to go back, I'd get my Kindergartener a Dover coloring book and a primary composition book for drawing a picture from the lesson and then letting her dictate a sentence to me until she gets older and skip the Jr Notebooking Journal. I'm on the fence on if I'd get the notebooking journal for my older son if I could go back. He'd probably be OK with a composition book for notebooking and a stack of library books for extra reading.

• Like 2

I really like the notebooks, but any student who still needs the jr. notebook may be too young for the Apologia series or for the notebooking aspect of it. We started with a regular notebook for my 3rd grader. It was a bit much in the definition department, so I cut some of the writing for her. It didn't have the coloring pages, so maybe the jr. one may have been best for her first year in 3rd grade. But it had great book lists and activity ideas. The first year, I confess we did Flying Creatures most of the year with just the notebook and other bird books we had on hand and the library lists and activities from the notebook and library books instead of buying the text.

For what order, we have tried to stick with WTM science cycles, so the we have used the Flying Creatures one in a biology year, the astronomy one in the space/earth year, the chemistry/physics one in our chemistry year. We did the anatomy one in 6th grade which was another biology year for us, and have done animals and plants and Earth science not using Apologia, but using other materials. And like I said, we didn't use it before 3rd grade, and didn't use the text before 4th grade. My dd really really gets a lot of use out of the notebooking journals, so we have used one every year that we did Apologia. This year we are using a different science, so we are notebooking on our own with some different resources.

• Like 1

We've read all the books except for the astronomy and chem/physics (that's the newer one).  Every time we've bought the notebooking journals, it became overwhelming and we couldn't finish them.  My oldest two absolutely hated to write at that stage.  The Swimming Creatures note booking journal was pretty cool, though.

I'm reading the Anatomy book with a 6th grader and that seems about right.  There is a huge chapter on cells and organelles that would probably be over a Kindergartener's head.

If I had to rank them in terms of easiest to most difficult (from what I remember - Lol)...  

Astronomy

Flying Creatures

Land Animals

Swimming Creatures

Botany

Anatomy & Physiology 

Thank you all for the input. We aren't really using the Anatomy to its full potential by any means. I am basically using it as a little guide to teach him some basic body stuff and do a lap book that is age appropriate. He just LOVES making lap books and doing all that cutting/pasting, putting stuff together, etc., and the idea of the bones fascinates him, so I thought I would just help him do one that's about the bones. I just happened to see those junior notebooks and wondered if that would bring it down to his level.

I think after this little unit on the bones, I'll pick up the astronomy and use it loosely to make a lap book, or I may just skip it all together and wait til next year to get him anything like that.

This is my dgs and my dd is home schooling, but I get him for his "crafts," and I try to use that time to do stuff like this with him because he enjoys it, and it's the type of stuff dd really doesn't have time for with 2 other little ones at home.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the input. We aren't really using the Anatomy to its full potential by any means. I am basically using it as a little guide to teach him some basic body stuff and do a lap book that is age appropriate. He just LOVES making lap books and doing all that cutting/pasting, putting stuff together, etc., and the idea of the bones fascinates him, so I thought I would just help him do one that's about the bones. I just happened to see those junior notebooks and wondered if that would bring it down to his level.

I think after this little unit on the bones, I'll pick up the astronomy and use it loosely to make a lap book, or I may just skip it all together and wait til next year to get him anything like that.

This is my dgs and my dd is home schooling, but I get him for his "crafts," and I try to use that time to do stuff like this with him because he enjoys it, and it's the type of stuff dd really doesn't have time for with 2 other little ones at home.

I can't wait to be the homeschooling grandma that gets to help do this kind of stuff! That's so cool that you are doing that for them.

• Like 1

We're using them. I've got all four kids doing science at the same time, so my kindy is right along in there. We're doing Swimming Things and both my second grader and kindy are using the junior notebooks! Personally, I wouldn't start Apologia with just a kindergartener. It is a lot of reading and I think a older child would appreciate and understand and learn more. My advice would be to wait. When my older kids were little we read a lot of those "Let's Read and Find Out" books. I think those are great for that age, they help with scientific literacy, which is really what you want at that age. Then you can make lap books or whatever that go along with it.

• Like 2

I think they are meant to be used in the order of the days of creation, and get progressively more difficult through the levels.

Astronomy

Botany

Zoology 1 (Flying Creatures)

Zoology 2 (Swimming Creatures)

Zoology 3 (Land Animals)

Human Anatomy & Physiology

• Like 3

I think they are meant to be used in the order of the days of creation, and get progressively more difficult through the levels.

Astronomy

Botany

Zoology 1 (Flying Creatures)

Zoology 2 (Swimming Creatures)

Zoology 3 (Land Animals)

Human Anatomy & Physiology

Well, that makes sense. I never thought about it. :)

We have all the Apologia elementary science books. I might use Zoology 1 for Kindergarten (as a read aloud), but I wouldn't use Anatomy for Kindergarten, with or without a notebooking component.

For Kindergarten, I would read these:

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/SeriesDetail.aspx?PSId=223

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/SeriesDetail.aspx?PSId=224

Rainbow Resource has sets.

I might also look in my library for Gail Gibbons books related to science:

http://www.gailgibbons.com/otherbooks.html

There are teacher resources on her website (I haven't used those). We read so many of her books when my kids were that age.

If we wanted to study anatomy in Kindergarten -- hey! we did that, LOL! -- I would use this book to make a life-sized "body" of the child:

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Books-Patty-Carratello/dp/1557342113

There was another cut-and-paste body book that we used, but I can't find it this morning. You could make a "Cell Mobile" (various types of cells), a mini-book on the brain....

Ah, here it is, I found it!

https://shop.scholastic.com/shop/en/teacherstore/product/Easy-Make--Learn-Projects-Human-Body

HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama2

We have all the Apologia elementary science books. I might use Zoology 1 for Kindergarten (as a read aloud), but I wouldn't use Anatomy for Kindergarten, with or without a notebooking component.

For Kindergarten, I would read these:

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/SeriesDetail.aspx?PSId=223

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/SeriesDetail.aspx?PSId=224

Rainbow Resource has sets.

I might also look in my library for Gail Gibbons books related to science:

http://www.gailgibbons.com/otherbooks.html

There are teacher resources on her website (I haven't used those). We read so many of her books when my kids were that age.

If we wanted to study anatomy in Kindergarten -- hey! we did that, LOL! -- I would use this book to make a life-sized "body" of the child:

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Books-Patty-Carratello/dp/1557342113

There was another cut-and-paste body book that we used, but I can't find it this morning. You could make a "Cell Mobile" (various types of cells), a mini-book on the brain....

Ah, here it is, I found it!

https://shop.scholastic.com/shop/en/teacherstore/product/Easy-Make--Learn-Projects-Human-Body

HTH.

Thank you for this! VERY helpful! Dgs really wants to do something about the body/bones, so these will really help!

• Like 1