Menu

Interesting 23 and me results

Janeway

SO...so far...and we have been barely doing anything at all....

On my side...found a cousin who has 3 same grandparents, but in different pairs. I do not recall the names so I will make up names to tell the story...but  Emma and Edward had a baby, Edward died, then Emma and James had a baby and Sarah And William had a baby.  Then Emma and William die and Sarah and James have a baby. And Emma and Edward and Sarah and William are his grandparents and mine are Emma and James and ..actually..I do not recall exactly how all this goes..but in the end..we have 3 same grandparents, but not paired together. I will try to find it later and then post it. But it goes somewhat like that.

And then on my dad's side.....a guy has the surname if my gr grandma's maiden name. But apparently, this guy, his mom has my surname as her maiden name. So basically..at some point in the last 150 years, something to the effect of Brother K married Sister S and Brother S married Sister K.  And it appears to have happened in the early 1900's, so in the last 100 years.

Now...on my husband's side...someone popped up who was related and had the same surname as his mom's surname. Fine. Sent a message and said that she was obviously related as she had the same surname. She comes back and tells is that surname is her married name. We check her husband's profile and my husband matches there too. But, when she ran her DNA against her husband's, there is no relation. So, my husband is biologically related to her and her husband, but she and her husband are not biologically related to each other.

A lot of criss crossing!

There is even more. But, I just thought this was interesting. Anyone else having interesting results?

Oh..and how can someone be less than 1% Japanese? Japanese was closed at the point in time this would mean my husband has 1 grandparent who would have married a westerner.

• Like 1

http://geneticgenie.org (free) gives methylation and detox information when you upload your results.  What, if anything, to do with the results can get overly complicated (e.g. see heartfixer), but it's very interesting nonetheless.  The results include those for MTHFR polymorhpisms.  (Defects in these areas are not uncommon for kids with various issues.)

• Like 1

http://geneticgenie.org (free) gives methylation and detox information when you upload your results.  What, if anything, to do with the results can get overly complicated (e.g. see heartfixer), but it's very interesting nonetheless.  The results include those for MTHFR polymorhpisms.  (Defects in these areas are not uncommon for kids with various issues.)

or adults.   I attribute several familial health issues on my mother's side to mthf - and I'm treating myself I hope to never develop these very prevalent in my family problems.   (TIAs, knees . . . .)

Oh..and how can someone be less than 1% Japanese? Japanese was closed at the point in time this would mean my husband has 1 grandparent who would have married a westerner.

I'm not sure if you tested your kids or your husband, but... if one of your husband's parents was Japanese, he'd be 50%. If one of his grandparents was Japanese, he'd be 25%. Great-grandparents, 12.5%, great-great-grandparents, 6.25%, great-great-great-grandparents, 3.125%, great-great-great-great grandparents, 1.56%, great-great-great-great-great grandparents, 0.78%. So, probably somewhere in the 1800s.

http://geneticgenie.org (free) gives methylation and detox information when you upload your results. What, if anything, to do with the results can get overly complicated (e.g. see heartfixer), but it's very interesting nonetheless. The results include those for MTHFR polymorhpisms. (Defects in these areas are not uncommon for kids with various issues.)

I'm so ignorant on all this, but why would one go on this path? If they have a potential genetic medical issue that has an identifiable treatment? I recall reading a biographical piece by Siddhartha Mukherjee on schizophrenia in his family and then an interview with him stating he would not be testing himself at this point. I thought that was interesting.

Eta that DH has rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile form. I'm watching my older but I'm not fully convinced on the genetic component of that one...

Edited by madteaparty

I'm so ignorant on all this, but why would one go on this path? If they have a potential genetic medical issue that has an identifiable treatment? I recall reading a biographical piece by Siddhartha Mukherjee on schizophrenia in his family and then an interview with him stating he would not be testing himself at this point. I thought that was interesting.

Eta that DH has rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile form. I'm watching my older but I'm not fully convinced on the genetic component of that one...

Someone might go down this path if the treatment for the genetic medical issue doesn't work at all, works only in part and/or has significant side effects.

This gets over my head in complexity pretty quickly, but the general idea is that while many conditions may have a genetic basis, the ongoing environment inside the individual will ultimately determine whether an individual ends up actually getting the condition.  For most conditions, it's far more complicated than a person having The Gene for Condition X.

This is especially true of conditions involving the immune system and, by extension, the nervous system.  Certain genetic polymorphisms may make various processes more difficult (intracellular processes like methylation or processes in the liver).  Ultimately, the immune system may not work so well, ordinary infections that should be easy to get rid of stick around and have their own effects, and eventually the wheels fall off, so to speak, where certain immune system components don't operate as they should.  Various autoimmune conditions and/or neuropsychiatric issues may result.  That's the big picture, although so much is unknown.

At its simplest, some polymorphisms might point toward a trial of particular vitamins to "bypass" the defective point in the cyclic process.  For us, the 23andme data is just another piece of a very large puzzle.

• Like 2

Someone might go down this path if the treatment for the genetic medical issue doesn't work at all, works only in part and/or has significant side effects.

This gets over my head in complexity pretty quickly, but the general idea is that while many conditions may have a genetic basis, the ongoing environment inside the individual will ultimately determine whether an individual ends up actually getting the condition. For most conditions, it's far more complicated than a person having The Gene for Condition X.

This is especially true of conditions involving the immune system and, by extension, the nervous system. Certain genetic polymorphisms may make various processes more difficult (intracellular processes like methylation or processes in the liver). Ultimately, the immune system may not work so well, ordinary infections that should be easy to get rid of stick around and have their own effects, and eventually the wheels fall off, so to speak, where certain immune system components don't operate as they should. Various autoimmune conditions and/or neuropsychiatric issues may result. That's the big picture, although so much is unknown.

At its simplest, some polymorphisms might point toward a trial of particular vitamins to "bypass" the defective point in the cyclic process. For us, the 23andme data is just another piece of a very large puzzle.

That's fascinating. thank you

I'm not sure if you tested your kids or your husband, but... if one of your husband's parents was Japanese, he'd be 50%. If one of his grandparents was Japanese, he'd be 25%. Great-grandparents, 12.5%, great-great-grandparents, 6.25%, great-great-great-grandparents, 3.125%, great-great-great-great grandparents, 1.56%, great-great-great-great-great grandparents, 0.78%. So, probably somewhere in the 1800s.

That is actually incorrect. You do receive 50% of your chromosomes from each parent. But each parent does not pass on exactly 50% of each of his or her parents' DNA. I might pass a much greater amount of one of my parents DNA to a child than another's. Genetically each of my child is equally related to DH and I, but not equally related to each grandparent.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 1

That is actually incorrect. You do receive 50% of your chromosomes from each parent. But each parent does not pass on exactly 50% of each of his or her parents' DNA. I might pass a much greater amount of one of my parents DNA to a child than another's. Genetically each of my child is equally related to DH and I, but not equally related to each grandparent.

Right. But odds are it's not one of his grandparents that's 100% Japanese.

Could this explain how my grandmother could be 50% Native American and I have 0% Native American DNA?

Could this explain how my grandmother could be 50% Native American and I have 0% Native American DNA?

I honestly think their percentages for Native American are not particularly accurate. I've heard others say what you said. My dad and I have had our DNA tested and I come up NA and he does not. However, the NA is on his side.

Yep! For example, I have only one Irish grandparent, but my results are 42% Irish.

Did your grandmother get the testing for comparison? Keep in mind that the percentages a person might track for, say, a CIB, is based on known ancestry, often traced to what some Indian Agent put down on the rolls when a reservation was established. There were several centuries there before that late 19th century/early 20th century roll where folks didn't keep such close track.

Did your grandmother get the testing for comparison? Keep in mind that the percentages a person might track for, say, a CIB, is based on known ancestry, often traced to what some Indian Agent put down on the rolls when a reservation was established. There were several centuries there before that late 19th century/early 20th century roll where folks didn't keep such close track.

No. Everyone in the family "knows" the percentage of NA because that is what Grandma told them. My father and his siblings (all now deceased) knew it. My cousins know it. All the people who married into the family know it. If I could prove 100% scientifically that we had no NA ancestry, no one in the family would believe it.

I suspect my cousins think my father was the milkman. :laugh:  I had fun asking my mother about that ... first time she's been speechless!

Just using my brain (which means nothing), I figure that if my dad got 50% of my grandma's genes, maybe he got the part that didn't include NA since his grandparents were born in Ireland. Or maybe I got the part of her genes from him that didn't include NA.

I was really looking forward my DNA test showing my NA ancestry. I don't think any of my cousins will get tested in case their fathers turn out to be milkmen, too!

I am getting dh a DNA kit either for his birthday or Christmas (same month). What does 23 and me charge for this?

I have a list of others as well. Since you are all talking about percentages here, I am thinking he will get to see how many percent Irish, German, Scandinavian he is. Is this correct?

Dh has been researching his family line and other people in the family have established records, etc. He does not have an account on Ancestry.com (yet) but has been using some other family tree program online for free.

I am getting dh a DNA kit either for his birthday or Christmas (same month). What does 23 and me charge for this?

I have a list of others as well. Since you are all talking about percentages here, I am thinking he will get to see how many percent Irish, German, Scandinavian he is. Is this correct?

Dh has been researching his family line and other people in the family have established records, etc. He does not have an account on Ancestry.com (yet) but has been using some other family tree program online for free.

$99 for ancestry only; $199 health + ancestry.  https://www.23andme.com/

As far as ancestry composition is concerned, on mine it is:

French & German (17.6%)

British & Irish (44.1%)

Iberian (0.5%)

Scandinavian (4.3%)

broadly Northwestern European (19.2%) 

Eastern European (3.5%)

broadly Southern European (1%)

broadly European (9.4%)

Ashkenazi (0.3%).

23andme also compared my DNA with my mother's and told me the ancestry composition from each parent.

I also have a list of DNA relatives. Most of them are barely related to me. I have a second cousin on my father's side, for example, who shares 5.03% of my DNA (21 segments). She allows contact, so I was able to give her some information she needed about my grandmother.

Out of my 1,537 relatives who were tested by 23andme, the last one is a guy who shares .16% of my DNA (one segment). A super majority of my DNA relatives are in this "distant cousin" category.

If I were researching my family's geneology, I wouldn't get very far with 23andme because except for my mother, none of the relatives I know have been tested through 23andme, and the people who are my "relatives" are so distantly related to me that it doesn't matter to me.