Menu

New update doctor report...

Good luck. I will pray for you. I had surgery (nothing scary) with a long recovery - 6 weeks in a wheelchair. My kids grew up (in a good way) fast. I am proud to say that they can all do laundry - even the 6 year old! I started reading Pollyanna aloud to the kiddos and am trying to adopt her game of finding the best out of every situation.

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone so much. Your support is just wonderful and I truly do not feel as if I am alone in all of this.

Surprisingly, I am not afraid. Even my pesimistic heart tells me everything is going to be A-OK, that this is just a bump in the road. Hmmm...actually more like numerous speed bumps in a small parking lot. Really annoying but once past them the road is clear ahead. :)

Darn it, I just wish I knew if I should go home for treatment or not. Does anyone know anything about Orange County, California hospitals? Specifically: Saddleback Memorial Breast Center in Laguna Hills. Or any idea where I can find out about the hospital for myself?

As far as school...I can't just stop. My oldest is going through 9th grade for the 2nd time...and he is almost 16. I've got a 7th grader who is going to just get really lazy if I don't find a way to challenge him. My 2nd grader is fine.

However...we are going to take it easy.

9th grader will just be doing:

Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

Western Civilization and listening to modern classics with me.

Literary Lessons from LOTR and their writing suggestions. (more like creative writing actually, which he enjoys)

Apologia Biology (even if we don't get to most of the experiments)

7th grader:

Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals and hopefully getting to Beginning Algebra this year. (He is ready for it.)

Reading through G. Foster books (World of Capt. J. Smith and others)

IEW theme based writing lessons

2nd grader:

Heart of Dakota: Bigger hearts for His Glory (this is a joy to use, and so easy!)

R&S math

Spelling Workout

So....nothing tough. If the kids will just work with me we can get this done.

My dad died in May ...my mom hass alzthiemers (pardon my spelling)...we had to come to California and schooling out of state is tough (especially when it is too beautiful to do school! :tongue_smilie:)and...well...we've just had too many setbacks this year already. I'll keep going until I just can't.

On an upnote...if anyone here remembers my housesitters/pet sitters trashing my house (while we are in CA), they have been working on fixing the damage and have done a suberb job of it! The walls are done and they are having a reliable person come look at the damage to my table. I am very happy about that. Impressed actually. I was worried about having to go home for treatment and having to deal with the mess.

Anyway...if you guys know anything about this hospital it would sure help me make a decision.

Thanks again for all your support and prayers. :)

Anyway...if you guys know anything about this hospital it would sure help me make a decision.

Thanks again for all your support and prayers. :)

I know nothing about CA hospitals.

My best friend has a rare blood cancer and she is treated at MDA. Someone earlier said they have a god complex and don't like to be challanged, but my friend went against her doctor's advice for a full year and the doctor was very kind about it. No pressure at all. My friend does get very irritated by their lack of organization...to be one of the top hospitals in the world they have scheduling and communication issues.

Of course, that is her experience with ONE division of a huge hospital. YMMV

Traveling there and back for treatments (and she only has one child) was a nightmare though. That part was the worst of it all for her. 5 hours one way for her. Sounds like Houston might be your home town though? If so, I assume you would have relatives to stay with. Breast cancer treatments are typically long and drawn out....my mom's was. It all depends though on if you will need chemo or not.

My mom is 5 years post breast cancer diagnosis. She had a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and then more chemo. She did all of that here locally (in Arkansas in a medium size city). No problems at all.

It also depends on what type of breast cancer. I don't remember all the details now,but my mom's was a common estrogen fed type breast cancer and they have the protocol down pat on it...so any oncology center can handle it...Is yours the common type?

Oh, and what my friend with blood cancer did at the end of her last treatment was take her MDA orders to her local oncology center and get treated there. That was helpful...cut down on traveling.

I'm so sorry. Mom's doctor told her to look at it like a year of hassle to get back to a well place. :) That always helped her. She stayed so positive.

Hi Rhonda, Are you in CA taking care of your mom, and Texas is home? I don't know anything about Saddleback, but have had to go down the breast cancer road before (I didn't have it, but a surgical oncologist followed me for 2yrs). My husband is a physician, so he called a friend who recommended him. Do you know any physicians in CA that you could call? Often, they know who is truly up to par and who's not.

If I had to start from scratch I would schedule a consult with both. I would find out first what the common treatment is for your type. Then I would ask each doctor how many they're treated in the past. What treatment do they recommend and why? What will follow up care be? By meeting the physicians you can really get a feel for who you can trust. I seriously disliked my first surgeon, and therefore, found the surgical oncologist.

2 people in our church (and I live in Alabama) have gone to MD Anderson for treatment. One has intraductal in situ breast cancer. They are both really happy with the physicians and their treatment.

I would also consider where you're going to be long term. There will likely be follow up appts and I do think it's an advantage to see the same doctors. When I moved after having the breast cancer scare, the mammogram techs said they didn't see anything on my mammograms that was suspicious. I knew there were microcalcifications still present and it really made me not trust my care.

I'll be praying for you!

I know nothing about CA hospitals.

My best friend has a rare blood cancer and she is treated at MDA. Someone earlier said they have a god complex and don't like to be challanged, but my friend went against her doctor's advice for a full year and the doctor was very kind about it. No pressure at all. My friend does get very irritated by their lack of organization...to be one of the top hospitals in the world they have scheduling and communication issues.

Of course, that is her experience with ONE division of a huge hospital. YMMV

Traveling there and back for treatments (and she only has one child) was a nightmare though. That part was the worst of it all for her. 5 hours one way for her. Sounds like Houston might be your home town though? If so, I assume you would have relatives to stay with. Breast cancer treatments are typically long and drawn out....my mom's was. It all depends though on if you will need chemo or not.

My mom is 5 years post breast cancer diagnosis. She had a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and then more chemo. She did all of that here locally (in Arkansas in a medium size city). No problems at all.

It also depends on what type of breast cancer. I don't remember all the details now,but my mom's was a common estrogen fed type breast cancer and they have the protocol down pat on it...so any oncology center can handle it...Is yours the common type?

Oh, and what my friend with blood cancer did at the end of her last treatment was take her MDA orders to her local oncology center and get treated there. That was helpful...cut down on traveling.

I'm so sorry. Mom's doctor told her to look at it like a year of hassle to get back to a well place. :) That always helped her. She stayed so positive.

Scarlet,

Thanks for telling me what you know. Yes, Houston is my home town. But I get soooo darned stressed driving through it. Ha! Being driven through it. (I don't drive Houston). It is a much easier drive to the Breast Center from where I am at in CA.

Here is what I think is going to happen.

Huge lump in right (small) breast. Probably masectomy for sure.

Checking the left side because they saw some smaller calcifications there. At least a lumpectomy there. Checking noides during surgery. I expect they will find cancer cells there, due to the fact that I am pretty tender under one arm. So probably radiation. And immediate reconstructive surgery.

I am wondering if I could have my surgery and just START my reconstruction and radiation HERE...and finish reconstruction and radiation THERE. I know you have no way of knowing...I'm just thinking outloud.

I'll probably be able to get these answers today from the lady from the Breast Center who is supposed ot call me.

This is sooooo weird. I cannot believe how good and strong I feel. I cannot believe how HAPPY. I feel. I KNOW this is serious...but somehow it does not seem to be happening to me...but rather a patient of mine that needs to be cared for. I guess this is how my own weird wired mind is choosing to deal with a stressful situation. It feels so melodramic to me that it is laughable.

I'm just nuts is all. Don't mind me. :tongue_smilie:

This is sooooo weird. I cannot believe how good and strong I feel. I cannot believe how HAPPY. I feel. I KNOW this is serious...but somehow it does not seem to be happening to me...but rather a patient of mine that needs to be cared for. I guess this is how my own weird wired mind is choosing to deal with a stressful situation. It feels so melodramic to me that it is laughable.

I'm just nuts is all. Don't mind me. :tongue_smilie:

Yep, of course you are nuts. Anyone would be. I like your way of dealing with it...and as my mom said, 'what are my other choices? Lie down and give up? No thanks.'

My mom's doctor told her that if he had removed her breast she would not need radiation. Or are you talking about the other one that will need only a lumpectomy?

As to whether or not I would go to Houston...it would depend on the benefit vs. the stress of it. Do you have a good support system there? Is there room for you and your kids without being stressed out and over crowded? Will your insurance pay for travel and rooms and things like that? Be sure and check into that. My friend's insurance paid $50 toward every night she needed to be in a hotel in Houston. I know you wouldn't need a hotel, but you could collect that money and use it for something else....I mean as long as that is allowed...not suggesting you defraud your insurance ;)

My friend had to do 6 months of once a week treatments. She trusted MDA more, but in the end, she couldn't take the constant travel and upheavel to her life and she opted to finish her treament in her local city under the direction of MDA.

I'm confused about where you are right now...are you in Houston?

Yep, of course you are nuts. Anyone would be. I like your way of dealing with it...and as my mom said, 'what are my other choices? Lie down and give up? No thanks.'

My mom's doctor told her that if he had removed her breast she would not need radiation. Or are you talking about the other one that will need only a lumpectomy?

As to whether or not I would go to Houston...it would depend on the benefit vs. the stress of it. Do you have a good support system there? Is there room for you and your kids without being stressed out and over crowded? Will your insurance pay for travel and rooms and things like that? Be sure and check into that. My friend's insurance paid $50 toward every night she needed to be in a hotel in Houston. I know you wouldn't need a hotel, but you could collect that money and use it for something else....I mean as long as that is allowed...not suggesting you defraud your insurance ;)

My friend had to do 6 months of once a week treatments. She trusted MDA more, but in the end, she couldn't take the constant travel and upheavel to her life and she opted to finish her treament in her local city under the direction of MDA.

I'm confused about where you are right now...are you in Houston?

My home is in Houston, but right now we are in California. My husbands job sent him here to work from July to the end of November.

We really have three choices:

1.Figure out a way to extend his job here until my treatment is complete. (Don't know if this is possible)

2. Do part of my treatment here in California. Go home end of November (when his job is done here) and begin treatment again once we are back in Houston. (Don't know how wise this would be for my health.)

3. Pack up now and go home even though dh has not finished his job.

I WANT to stay here. I'd rather pick between choice 1 and 2. I love it here in CA. I love what I have seen at the Breast Center. I love the short easy drive. And...dh would be able to finish his job.

Too many variables. HopefullY I'll get some answers today.

I have a huge lump in Right B. probably mastectomy there. Maybe only lumpectomy on the other side. I keep hearing with mastectomy you don't need radiation...BUT...if it has spread to lymph glands I'll probably need to. But I won't know that until after surgery.

Right now they are saying DCIS....but she also told me that at this point they cannot tell if it is invasive or not.

thanks,

My home is in Houston, but right now we are in California. My husbands job sent him here to work from July to the end of November.

We really have three choices:

1.Figure out a way to extend his job here until my treatment is complete. (Don't know if this is possible)

2. Do part of my treatment here in California. Go home end of November (when his job is done here) and begin treatment again once we are back in Houston. (Don't know how wise this would be for my health.)

3. Pack up now and go home even though dh has not finished his job.

I WANT to stay here. I'd rather pick between choice 1 and 2. I love it here in CA. I love what I have seen at the Breast Center. I love the short easy drive. And...dh would be able to finish his job.

Too many variables. HopefullY I'll get some answers today.

I have a huge lump in Right B. probably mastectomy there. Maybe only lumpectomy on the other side. I keep hearing with mastectomy you don't need radiation...BUT...if it has spread to lymph glands I'll probably need to. But I won't know that until after surgery.

Right now they are saying DCIS....but she also told me that at this point they cannot tell if it is invasive or not.

thanks,

Ok, I see. Well, you will just have to do what is best for you and your family, but with your situation and those options *I* would choose 3. I wouldn't start in CA and finish in Houston. Especially since you already know MDA is an awesome hospital and you have the luxury of living there. The hardest part of course will be that you will be away from your dh for a month or two. And you don't like driving in Houston.

I suppose you have to decide quickly. :grouphug:

Ok, I see. Well, you will just have to do what is best for you and your family, but with your situation and those options *I* would choose 3. I wouldn't start in CA and finish in Houston. Especially since you already know MDA is an awesome hospital and you have the luxury of living there. The hardest part of course will be that you will be away from your dh for a month or two. And you don't like driving in Houston.

I suppose you have to decide quickly. :grouphug:

I don't drive Houston, period. Someone else would have to drive me. And no way dh will let me do this on my own. He'd pack up and go home too, job finished or not. :)

Rhonda, praying for you and hoping that you can stay in CA for all of your treatment. You seem to have a good attitude: deal with it and move on. Bless you! :grouphug:

I don't drive Houston, period. Someone else would have to drive me. And no way dh will let me do this on my own. He'd pack up and go home too, job finished or not. :)

Oh, duh Scarlett. Of course dh will not let you go alone. One more thing to consider...will he be able to leave the job early without THAT adding more stress to you?

So much to consider...I hope you find peace.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through all of this. After reading your posts, if I was in your situation, I would probably go with whatever option involved staying where you are, having dh finish his job, maybe looking into extending it. It sounds like you feel very comfortable with the Breast Center that you will be using. You'll be in my prayers.