Menu

PSA for those with bad periods and allergies

Katy

For years I've had multiple allergies and always have heavy periods with bad cramping unless I'm on the pill.  I've always known if I go vegan my periods get better, and I've shared that here before.  But recently a relative said her allergies were a lot better since she figured out she is allergic to vinegar.  That led to an investigation of histamine intolerance and trying a 21 day elimination diet.  Suddenly my periods are light and cramp free, and I feel much healthier, without the painful vegan low-fat thing.  Just wanted to share because I know we've discussed pill-free period treatments here so many times before.

In related news, apparently histamine can trigger early ovulation, before eggs are mature, and cause miscarriages.  Since my miscarriages started at about the same time I discovered a few new favorite foods that are also high-histamine, I'm thinking now they are related, and am feeling very hopeful about this.

• Like 11

I'm glad you found your triggers! I'm not sensitive to histamine in food in particular, but there is just no way to know what you're reaction to without elimination. I had several things show up as fine on a blood test and patch/prick testing but they give me very obvious internal symptoms. Vinegar of all things - who would have thought?!

Heavy periods absolutely suck, so I'm glad you've found relief. Yay!

Weird. I never even knew about high histamine foods.

I can't tell from your post if you're trying to conceive? I currently meet with a natural family planning teacher while I chart my cycles. If you chart you should keep an eye on your luteal phase length. Shorter ones are linked to miscarriages and once spotted a woman can take something to address the short luteal phase and fix it. Some of mine are shorter because of breastfeeding, which is not uncommon, but in other cases it can signal that something is amiss. I can't find my book right now, but it is probably addressed in it as that is the method my teacher uses (The Billings Ovulation Method book) and we have discussed short luteal phases. 

• Like 2

Weird. I never even knew about high histamine foods.

I can't tell from your post if you're trying to conceive? I currently meet with a natural family planning teacher while I chart my cycles. If you chart you should keep an eye on your luteal phase length. Shorter ones are linked to miscarriages and once spotted a woman can take something to address the short luteal phase and fix it. Some of mine are shorter because of breastfeeding, which is not uncommon, but in other cases it can signal that something is amiss. I can't find my book right now, but it is probably addressed in it as that is the method my teacher uses (The Billings Ovulation Method book) and we have discussed short luteal phases. 

Yeah, my luteal phase is usually 10-12 days, but it always has been, and so was my mother's.  I know textbook wise that's bad, but since that's not what changed, I don't think that's the problem.

Very interesting. I'd not read about that connection w/ histamine and ovulation. I went on a low histamine diet last year I believe because of allergy issues. For reasons I don't understand they are not really bothering me too much anymore despite easing up with the diet. My periods are already light if anything too light but my hormones aren't quite right either.  Glad you found something that worked for you, I wonder the connection between the vegan diet and the low histamine one that would cause the same reaction. 

Very interesting. I'd not read about that connection w/ histamine and ovulation. I went on a low histamine diet last year I believe because of allergy issues. For reasons I don't understand they are not really bothering me too much anymore despite easing up with the diet. My periods are already light if anything too light but my hormones aren't quite right either.  Glad you found something that worked for you, I wonder the connection between the vegan diet and the low histamine one that would cause the same reaction. 

Yeah, I think there is a connection. The animal foods that were hardest to give up are high in histamine (cheese).  The vegan foods that are comparatively high in histamine (kidney beans) also contain an anti-histamine all of their own. Plus, beans contain fiber that lower estrogen, and lower estrogen decreases histamine release.  I'm hardly an expert, this is just what I've gathered from a handful of websites and a couple books.

ETA: in theory, once your histamine levels are lower you don't need to be as strict with the diet.  Your levels are now low enough that your body can keep up with the increased histamines occasionally.  If you start feeling not so great, a few days of being strict with it should get you back to normal.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think there is a connection. The animal foods that were hardest to give up are high in histamine (cheese).  The vegan foods that are comparatively high in histamine (kidney beans) also contain an anti-histamine all of their own. Plus, beans contain fiber that lower estrogen, and lower estrogen decreases histamine release.  I'm hardly an expert, this is just what I've gathered from a handful of websites and a couple books.

ETA: in theory, once your histamine levels are lower you don't need to be as strict with the diet.  Your levels are now low enough that your body can keep up with the increased histamines occasionally.  If you start feeling not so great, a few days of being strict with it should get you back to normal.

I was thinking that perhaps dairy was the biggest connection, considering your previous improvement with the Vegan diet. Dairy seems to cause various troubles with a lot of people.  I think part of the improvement for me has been to get my thyroid levels normalized. I was having trouble just from leftover food before (already dairy free) but I don't really pay attention to histamine levels at all anymore. Likewise, I didn't have trouble before but when my thyroid messed up it got worse, as the thyroid got better so did that. Thanks again for sharing. 

I recently learned some things about mast cells, which are related to allergic processes in the body--besides releasing histamine, they release heparin, which is a blood thinner. I think there is some suspicion that a heparin release can make for heavier bleeding. Not sure. Still learning about this and trying to find good information.

This is SO true.  I feel SO much better after figuring it out.  For me, there is also a HUGE link with b vitamins.  If I start feeling like I'm reacting to everything I eat, it's a good sign I need to a.) take b vitamins for a while, and b.) drink a lot more water.

Okay, I have a question for anyone who can answer. I read conflicting things about B vitamins. For people with intolerance to glutamine, B vitamins can be problematic. For people with methylation problems, they can be problematic. But yet, they seem to help with the whole allergy process. I KNOW that I am sensitive to "fortified" foods, like cereal with added folate, niacin, etc. So, what gives? How does it work? I really want to take B vitamins again, but I think they trigger stuff as well. 

As I am figuring out my food reactions (I have no IgE allergies to foods), I am finding that B vitamins and vitamin C are areas where I will probably have a deficit shortly. I think some of the literature I've read suggested that those are two things that people with allergies/histamine intolerance?mast cell mess are likely to find themselves short on. I have few sources of vitamin C I can take that don't set off a reaction, and my level of reaction waxes and wanes. 

Anyway, I would love some information on this. Pernicious anemia from B12 deficiency runs in the family.

I recently learned some things about mast cells, which are related to allergic processes in the body--besides releasing histamine, they release heparin, which is a blood thinner. I think there is some suspicion that a heparin release can make for heavier bleeding. Not sure. Still learning about this and trying to find good information.

Okay, I have a question for anyone who can answer. I read conflicting things about B vitamins. For people with intolerance to glutamine, B vitamins can be problematic. For people with methylation problems, they can be problematic. But yet, they seem to help with the whole allergy process. I KNOW that I am sensitive to "fortified" foods, like cereal with added folate, niacin, etc. So, what gives? How does it work? I really want to take B vitamins again, but I think they trigger stuff as well. 

As I am figuring out my food reactions (I have no IgE allergies to foods), I am finding that B vitamins and vitamin C are areas where I will probably have a deficit shortly. I think some of the literature I've read suggested that those are two things that people with allergies/histamine intolerance?mast cell mess are likely to find themselves short on. I have few sources of vitamin C I can take that don't set off a reaction, and my level of reaction waxes and wanes. 

Anyway, I would love some information on this. Pernicious anemia from B12 deficiency runs in the family.

Well, eating a cup of beans or legumes per day will cover the folate needs without synthetic folic acid.  People with problems with methylation do just fine with real (natural) folate, they simply can't process the synthetic stuff.  So if you're worried about it, eat home cooked beans (if you have histamine issues too make beans from dry, rinse the cooking water to reduce histamine, freeze excess in individual portions to avoid histamine developing), or buy vitamins that include methyl-folate.  Thorne is a good brand, the cheapest place I've found it was Amazon.

• Like 1