Menu

Help me reset the day!

JustEm

Today was just awful! Things have been brewing for me for the last few weeks because dh works more in the summer, I feel completely overwhelmed at home with little help from him , and our AC is broken so being touch is driving me insane. Well today the bubble burst and I exploded all day long on my children.

Mind you they were truly doing things that would have gotten them in trouble anyway. For example, my 7 year old decided to use the stove without asking and then left it unattended. He also kept stealing toys from his baby sister just to hear her scream at him. He would also immediately do whatever I just told another child not to do(that last one got him sent to bed at 6pm.

The other 2, I'm not counting the youngest, were in rare disobedient form as well but my oldest was the worst. My reactions likely caused more problems then it solved and I'm not proud of my behavior.

So tomorrow is going to be just as overwhelming and stressful but I'd like to somehow collect myself enough to not take it out on the kids again. How can I do that? I really feel like I'm at a breaking point and I can't let that effect my children so negatively. Things will likely get better once school starts and dh's schedule is normal again but that is 2 weeks away and I can't go on this way for 2 weeks.

Help!

Trip to the (air conditioned) library?

Is there an air-conditioned nature center you could go to?  

An indoor playground?  Preferably one where you could treat the family to milkshakes or ice cream?

Take them to a movie theater?

I'm just thinking of all the combinations that make me happy ... air conditioning, books, nature, ice cream.

I'm sorry to hear that it's been so rough lately!! 

• Like 3

" tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet"

Plan now for tomorrow. What breakfast will you serve? What clothes will you put out for them?
What will you have for lunch? Can you pack a lunch right now so that you can go out tomorrow to the park or better yet, is there a swimming pool you can take them to? 

or you can even picnic in your yard in the shade? Fill up a wading pool? Set up a sprinkler hose and have a jumping over it contest? 

Have your afternoon snacks laid out too & plan now what your dinner will be. I find once meals are taken care of, and any chores that MUST be done (errands to doctor, bank; cleaning or straightening whatever drives you bonkers most) are slotted in & prioritized, it's easier to float and coast and adapt to the other stuff. 

Hang in there. You can do this. 

• Like 2

Thank you all. My biggest problem is we have no food in the house. Well we'll get through breakfast but after that it's pretty slim pickings. I couldn't go to the store today specifically because of their behavior. They are usually well behaved in public but when we were at the library today they were like a rabid pack of dogs!

I'll have to wake up extra early to go to the store alone before my 9am ultrasound so I can have a game plan for when I get home from that. I'll ask dh to take them to the park when I'm out.

I'm just feeling so defeated today.

Some more ideas ...

* Shower them with love; you make the first move. You love on them when they are unlovely.

* Have a Friday morning dance party. Crank up the volume and dance crazily to all the party hits of your youth.

* Blow bubbles together.

* Do a bunch of nursery rhymes and kiddie songs.

* Read "the book with no pictures" or "press here" or something else completely silly.

* Explore thekidshouldseethis.com videos together

* Watch "I love Lucy" - the chocolate factory clip or vegameatavitamin clip

* Watch "who's on first" - the classic Abbott and Costello and then watch jimmy Fallon's take on it.

* Watch jimmy Fallon's episode of "silent library"

Hugs!

I hope things are getting better! When I had a day like that (the kids weren't that bad, but I had zero patience) we made brownie sundaes for dinner. My kids thought I had lost my mind, but it was fun. It also motivated them to improve their behavior while waiting for dinner. I'm keeping that as a once a year, Dad's working late and you kids are driving me crazy treat :)

Thank you all for the ideas. As I lay in the table getting my ultrasound I figured out what would turn the entire week around. I decided to find out the sex of the baby and then come home and tell everyone.

We've never found out the sex before so it was a new experience and we're all now in better moods. It is fun to talk about names and keeping it a secret from the rest of the world.

• Like 2