Menu

Is there any way to predict how much a kid will grow for costume fitting purposes?

Dmmetler

DD11 is currently in the "goes to bed one size, wakes up and her clothes don't fit" stage, and is supposed to order a new cheer uniform in the next two weeks. Our team didn't have a team at her level last year, and last year was the first year for that uniform design, so there are no used uniforms to be passed down. I really don't want to buy one based on her size right this minute, because I suspect it will be too small by the December competition, let alone in May for the Spring season.

Any suggestions on how much room is reasonable to add for measurements for growth for a kid who is really heading into puberty headlong? Maybe from experienced dance parents?

My dd just turned 12 and wow this is a really hard age for that for girls!  I have no advice.  I just measured my dd and she grew 4 inches since last September.  She has friends that still look like little kids and she has friends that need full on bras and are towering over me.  It's such a weird age! 

ETA - I will say, I have just been bumping up for a while.  Adult smalls in stretchy dance material have had some longevity here. 

Edited by WoolySocks

No answers.  I have to cough up $250 for a race suit and almost $1000 in size-specific equipment for a kid that has grown 6 inches in the last 6 months.  There is no real wiggle room size-wise for either.  I have no idea what to do.  If I order big and she doesn't grow, at least she can use it in a future year when she does become that size but then she does not have what she needs for this year.  I am dealing with this by not thinking about it.....

• Like 1

No answers. My DD has been all over the place--shooting up, but thanks to a medication change, she has also at the same time slimmed down so things that were getting too tight eight months ago fit or are even loose now--though may still look too small because of how tall she's getting.

Waistbands are easy to adjust on most things, I would err on the side of a little extra bust room and length, and put in temporary alterations if necessary for now.

One cannot really get away with more than one size larger than current size if she needs the uniform right away.

Sew an appropriate size piece of elastic to the back of all waist bands.

Use duct tape on the inside of all shirts to make seams smaller to fit. This includes around arm holes.

DD12 wears Irish dance costumes, which I have had to alter quite a bit over the last couple of years. She grew 6 inches in that time, but more importantly, her shape completely changed.

The costumes usually have about 2 inches of let-out and let-down. When looking for wiggle room, make sure it is not just in the waist, hem, and cuffs. We have had issues with upper arms, where the sleeves attach at the shoulder, when a growth spurt would mean she could not fully extend her arm without it pinching. Also problematic: going from basically NO rear-end to a full curvy woman shape in under 2 years. So, we adjusted the length on dresses, only to find that they no longer sat properly on the hips.

We are getting a new dress next month, and I plan buy the largest size I can get without looking clownish, then taking it in for the fall, and letting it back out as needed. One tip for this age is to wear a little padding in the bra when getting fitted, and wearing it as needed until nature fills in the gap.

It is really going to depend on the style and fit of the uniform. A vest and separate skirt can possibly be ordered 1-2 sizes larger and you can take in the waist for now. A tight-fitted minidress with cut outs at the waist will look terrible if it isn't fitting the same as the teammates.

Can you sew and do alterations? Sizing up too far and needing to take it in if she doesn't grow as expected could cost close to the price of a new uniform. But in general, it is easier to make a too-large uniform smaller than it is to try to make an outgrown one bigger.

Edited by Rebel Yell

Dance mom here and I've done fittings as well. It's really hard to say but I usually recommend you take her current measurements and look at the size chart. Whichever is the largest size recommended is the minimum size you want. If she's at the top end of the size range, go up. If at the bottom, she will probably be ok as there is usually a bit of seam to play with, in or out. Although my daughter grew six inches one comp season, she was fine, albeit not for too much longer, because we had ordered her costumes with the above in mind.

One other thing, you want to find out if the company size charts are accurate. One company we use, we always go up one size to start. Their charts are just that off.

• Like 1