Menu

Would anyone be willing to share recipes for homemade. . .

This is my take on the recipe for potato bread in Secrets of a Jewish Baker. It is for a KitchenAid mixer. To do by hand, reduce by 33%.

Mix:

3 1/2 C potato water

1 1/2 C mashed potatoes (to get this very smooth and light, I used Yukon

Gold pots and blended the well boiled, peeled spuds in a food processor.

The product of this was more like glue than mash patatoes)

6 3/4 Teas yeast (three packets)

3 T sugar

3 T room temp butter

1/2 C skim milk powder (I use non-instant which is a little denser than

the instant kind)

1 T salt

Stir in 3-4 Cups all purp flour and put your hook on your Kitchen Aid

mixer. Run on low and keep adding flour until the dough comes away from

the sides....this dough will remain on the sticky side. Knead or mix

about 7 minutes until silky smooth.

Place in greased bowl, let double, punch down and let it 'rest' while

you grease or butter a baking sheet 12x18". Unfortunately this recipe

won't *quite* fill the pan, but to make more will run the dough up the

hook. Grease your hands and pinch off a wad of dough a bit bigger than a

golf ball, roll it up tight, pinching together the loose ends you have

drawn up, and place them in rows four across and 6 down, spacing them

evenly, but leaving a gap on one long end so that they rise into each

other. Cover with *greased* wax paper (this dough is sticky!) and let

double. Preheat oven to 375F and bake about 20 minutes. They should be

evenly and darkly brown.

I transported this to a T-day meal on the baking sheet and when the

turkey came out, in went the cooled rolls. They reheated very well and

were very popular. Great with cranberries smeared on them. I did butter

the tops as they came out of the oven on first baking and let them cool initially with a

teatowel over them.

Oh, and if you have any extra of the food processed, slimey potato

leftover try:

1 cup of above potato puree', one egg, 4 T all purp flour, salt and

white pepper, mix well, drop into gently boiling, salted water off of a

greased serving spoon. Boil, turning once, about 5 minutes. I had mine

with a bit of horseradish....very tasty.

I'll see what I can find in my files....

Cuban Bread

From start to finish, 1 hour and 15 minutes

5-6 C all purpose flour (can sub 1-2 C whole wheat flour for all purpose)

2 Tbsp dry yeast

2 Tbsp sugar

1 Tbsp salt

2 C hot water (120-130 degrees)

1 Tbsp sesame or poppy seeds (opt., decoration only)

Mix dry ingredients in kitchen-aid with dough hook. As the machine is running, drizzle in water until dough forms a ball. Spin the ball 20 times to knead. Place dough in greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise 15 minutes.

Punch down. Divide into two pieces. Shape into two round loaves and place on a baking sheet. Cut an X ½ inch deep on top with a sharp knife. Brush with water and sprinkle with seeds (opt). Place on the middle shelf of a cold oven. Place a cake pan of hot water on the lowest shelf. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake 40-50 minutes until deep golden brown.

. Old-Time Whole Wheat Bread

5 C all-purpose flour

2 pkgs active dry yeast

2 ¾ C water

½ C packed brown sugar

¼ C shortening

1 Tbsp salt

3 C whole wheat flour

In large mixer bowl combine 3 ½ C all purpose flour and yeast. In saucepan heat water, brown sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (115-120 F), stirring constantly to melt shortening. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer for ½ minute. Beat 3 minutes at high speed.

By hand, stir in the whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough (or can add and knead all in the kitchenaid). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (10-12 minutes). Shape into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about one hour).

Punch down; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into two loaves and place in two greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double (about 45 minutes) Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves.

Note: Can do one rise in the refrigerator, I often make the dough up until in the loaf pans, then cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in the frig over night, then bake in the oven in the morning for fresh bread that day. Slices freeze well and come out nice and moist

Fast and Easy Granola

1/2 C brown sugar

1/3 C vegetable oil

1/3 C honey

Mix above in saucepan and heat until combined.

5 C oatmeal

½ C dry milk

¾ tsp cinnamon

pinch of salt

peanuts (1/2 C – optional)

Combine above dry ingredients in 9x13 pan. Pour sugar mixture over dry mixture and mix well. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Let cool in pan. Add raisins and/or dates (1/2 C) at this time. Store in airtight container.

HTH

Greek Salad Dressing

1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)

1 tsp dried oregano

1 heaping tsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Whisk in 1/2 cup good quality olive oil.

Keep in frige. You might need to warm up (in warm water or microwave) a few seconds to pour if cold.

I serve this over greens (usually Romaine), cucumber, black olives, and feta cheese.

This is the salad dressing my friend learned during her "junior year abroad" living with a young French family:

1/3 C olive oil

1/3 c balsamic vinegar

1/3 c very icy water

big dollop Dijon mustard with a regular teaspoon, like what you set the table with.

Cover and shake well. The icy water keeps everything in suspension, so you don't get one oil peice and then gag on pure vinegar with the next bite. You can make it with while balsamic as well. Good on strong greens, like yuppie chow.

If you'd like to add some nutrition to it, use the white balsamic and puree it with avocado for 1/4 cup and the rest of the third of a cup of oil as just the oil. So, 1/4 cup pureed avo, with enough oil added to make it 1/3 of a cup. This is even good as a dressing over boiled, cubed taters. YUM

This is a recipe I got from the Supermarket Handbook over 30 years ago, and I've been making my own mayo ever since.

1 cup oil (I now use extra light olive oil)

1 egg

1 TB vinegar (any kind except white. bleah)

about 1/2 tsp. dry mustard

about 1/4 tsp. salt

Put about 1/4 c. oil, egg, vinegar, and seasonings into food processor or blender (I like the food processor better); process for about a minute. Pour in the rest of the oil slowly while the processor is running. Process for about a minute more. Voila! Yummy, healthy mayo--no sugar, no chemicals, no fillers.

I have used red wine vinegar, regular old cider vinegar, tarragon vinegar, and lemon juice. I prefer red wine or cider vinegar. Right now I'm using Bragg's, because regular vinegar has gluten but Bragg's does not, so my celiac friends are safe :-)

This is the salad dressing my friend learned during her "junior year abroad" living with a young French family:

1/3 C olive oil

1/3 c balsamic vinegar

1/3 c very icy water

big dollop Dijon mustard with a regular teaspoon, like what you set the table with.

Cover and shake well. The icy water keeps everything in suspension, so you don't get one oil peice and then gag on pure vinegar with the next bite. You can make it with while balsamic as well. Good on strong greens, like yuppie chow.

If you'd like to add some nutrition to it, use the white balsamic and puree it with avocado for 1/4 cup and the rest of the third of a cup of oil as just the oil. So, 1/4 cup pureed avo, with enough oil added to make it 1/3 of a cup. This is even good as a dressing over boiled, cubed taters. YUM

YUM is right! Thanks!

This is a recipe I got from the Supermarket Handbook over 30 years ago, and I've been making my own mayo ever since.

1 egg

about 1/4 tsp. salt

Put about 1/4 c. oil, egg, vinegar, and seasonings into food processor or blender (I like the food processor better); process for about a minute. Pour in the rest of the oil slowly while the processor is running. Process for about a minute more. Voila! Yummy, healthy mayo--no sugar, no chemicals, no fillers.

I have used red wine vinegar, regular old cider vinegar, tarragon vinegar, and lemon juice. I prefer red wine or cider vinegar. Right now I'm using Bragg's, because regular vinegar has gluten but Bragg's does not, so my celiac friends are safe :-)

And COOL!!! How did I not know this was so easy? I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Here's the recipe for granola bars that's been going around here. I got it from emeraldjoy, but others have gotten it from other places. We love it!

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/04/11/homemade-granola-bar-recipe-no-high-fructose-corn-syrup-in-these-bars/

I made it according to the basic recipe she posted (subbing almonds for the peanuts and using both raisins and cranberries as the fruit), and it was amazing. Everyone loved it, even my picky DD6. I'm going to play with it more next time, though.

I use this for sandwich bread, dinner rolls, sandwich rolls like

these, sub sandwich rolls or as one long large loaf. I just shape it however I need it for the day. Sub sandwiches are one of our favorite meals and my husband always says I make the best bread. It's the one cooking compliment I can count on hearing often.

Basic Wheat Bread

1 cup lukewarm water

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 cups flour (*see notes below)

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

**NOTES: I use a mixture of whole wheat and unbleached white flour totaling three cups. 100% whole wheat is too dense for us when homemade. 1 1/2 cups wheat and 1 1/2 cups white is just about perfect, but I've been known to be lazy and just do 2 cups wheat and 1 cup white. When I want a lighter, less dense bread, I use 1 cup wheat and 2 cups white. I've used 3 cups white and no wheat as well.

Put everything in the bread machine pan in order listed and start the dough cycle. When done, remove and shape as desired. Let proof for 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I do not preheat the oven; I find this gives me a lighter crust that my children prefer. Baking time may vary for your oven but 15-17 minutes works perfect for me, where 20 minutes makes the crust too dark and crunchy. Just watch the bread the first few times you make it until you figure out what is perfect for you.

Sometimes I like to add a teaspoon of garlic powder to the bread and some hard cheese (parmesan/romano/asiago). I just toss in a bunch of cheese so I don't have a measurement...maybe a 1/4 cup or so. I brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle more cheese on top before baking. This version I bake in a single long loaf as a side to dinner. Yum!

We use this recipe for dinner rolls, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, and any other sandwich rolls we need.

1.5 cups water, room temp

4 T butter

1 egg

1.5 t salt

.25 cup sugar

4.75 cups bread flour

2.5 t yeast

I run this on the dough cycle in my bread machine. Remove, press down, shape into rolls, proof for 20-30 minutes, bake @ 350 for 20 minutes.

Makes 32 small dinner rolls, 16 sandwich rolls, varying amounts of hamburger or hot dog buns depending on how big you make them.

Here are some easy bread machine dinner rolls my family loves.

1 egg, room temp. plus enough water (80 degree F. to equal 1 cup)

3 tbsp. oil

3 tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt

3 1/4 cups bread flour

1 1/2 tsp. yeast

After the dough cycle is done, shape dough into rolls, let rise in warm place until double in size (about 30 minutes). I made 15 rolls from this. It was so easy and so good.

Granola Bars

1 c honey

2/3 c smooth peanut butter

2 2/3 c rolled oats

1 c whole wheat flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/3 c wheat germ or ground flaxseed

2 c of mix-ins in any combo:

coconut

dried blueberries

chocolate chips

raisins

butterscotch chips

craisins

chopped nuts of any kind

chopped dried apricots, apples

mini m&ms

whatever you like. :) We just use the first three on the list.

Warm the honey, then mix with pb til well blended. Stir in the rest. If mixture seems too dry, add water 1 tbsp at a time. If it's too sticky, add oats 1 tbsp at a time. Press with greased fingers into a greased 9X13 pan. Bake at 350* until barely browned, about 7 minutes. Then check every 2 minutes if more time is needed. Cut while warm into desired size of bars. When completely cool, remove with a greased spatula. You can wrap them individually, and they freeze well, too.

*Original recipe had 1/2 tsp each of cloves and nutmeg, in case you care to try those in there.

Edited by Tina

Homemade No-Bake Granola Bars

1 c sugar

2/3 c water (if using natural PB, increase to 1 c)

1 c peanut butter

5 c oats

1 T vanilla

1 c chocolate chips

Heat the sugar, water and PB on the stove and mix until sugar and PB are dissolved. Let cool a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, mix oats and vanilla in big bowl. Pour in PB mixture and stir. Add chocolate chips. Press into greased 13x9 pan. Refrigerate 2-3 hours until solid.

My kids love these!

1 egg

about 1/4 tsp. salt

Do you have to use the whole amount immediately or can you refrigerate some of it for a couple of days?

Ingredients:

• 1 package of yeast, or quick rising yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teapsoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 cup lukewarm water

Preparation:

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until water is frothy.

Combine flour and salt in large bowl.

Make a small depression in the middle of lour and pur yeast water in depression.

Slowly add 1 cup of warm water, and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until elastic.

PLace dough on floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes. When the dough is no longer stick and is smooth and elastic, it has been successfully kneaded.

Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all of the dough is coated.

Allow to sit in a warm place for about 3 hours, or until it has doubled in size.

Once doubled, roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to preheat your baking sheet also.

Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.

Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for 2 minutes.

Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking.

Take spatula and gently push down puff. Immediately place in storage bags.

3 1/4 cups wheat flour

3 1/4 cups all purpose flour(unbleached is best)

2 1/2 cups warm water

4T olive oil

4tsp. yeast

4tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients and knead for 10 minutes either by hand or with a stand mixer. If you are using a stand mixer start out with the paddle and then switch to the dough hook. Let dough rise for 45 minutes. Heat oven to 475 and place either a baking stone or baking sheet on the bottom rack. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and shape into a ball. Let them rise for 30 minutes under saran wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Roll each ball of dough out until flat. Let each one sit out uncovered for 10 minutes. Place three pieces onto the stone in the oven and let them bake for 3 minutes. When you remove them place them in a paper bag to cool.

These pitas puff up and can be filled, but we also use them for dipping in humus. I have tried many pita recipes in the past and this one is the best!