Menu

Starting public school (again)

IRL we are one on a few families trying PS this fall after homeschooling. I'm excited, sad, nervous, and a mix of emotions all in one. Homeschooling will always be an option if needed, but we all need this change for right now, even if it's only temporary.

I've been caught up in the back-to-school stuff, but I plan on getting our afterschooling and extracurriculars/therapies work planned in all the free time I'll have. I met with the school counselor and wrote letters to the teachers. I think I've covered my bases and now I just have to hope for the best and continue to work on everything.

Everything always seems to be a sprint and I just have to work on it as daily life instead. I hope school goes well and wishing the same for everyone starting soon too :)

• Like 3

Ahhhhh! So nervous! If the school won't accommodate anything it will be a short trial, but at least DD will be in VPK so they day should be easier. I know DS will enjoy being with other kids. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sooooooo grateful for all the help and support here over the years.

• Like 3

So DS having a meltdown during orientation does not mean the year is doomed, right? Aaaaah!

Did it even catch their attention?  Was it something they had to help with?  I think there are enough challenging behaviors in schools that they probably didn't even notice your ds'.  And since he's coming from homeschooling, they have a handy excuse to blame it on.

His behavior is going to be what it is.  If he has some anxiety or transition issues or whatever and they weren't showing up because of the supports you were giving, then sure they'll be there.  They might improve as he adjusts, or things might go the opposite way with his behavior getting worse as he gets more comfortable and over the initial fascination and honeymoon.

You'll end up going through the IEP process, getting stuff added, and getting it taken care of.  There's nothing he's going to do that they don't have a plan for.  You wanted them on your team, so now you're working through it their way, the IEP way. But it will be ok!  :)

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

No, it is one of those things that it seems like I never used to notice, but now I notice more and it is hard on a lot of kids.

It is not a good sign, but it is not a sign of doom.

I think this is why they even have an orientation, though, instead of just a first day of school.

• Like 2

Is he going into 2nd or 3rd?

Looking back, the biggest issue that we experienced during either of those grades was handwriting.  Back then, I did not scribe for DS and there were no in class accommodations to address the handwriting.  That was a MAJOR mistake on my part and perhaps my greatest regret.  

If the school will allow them and you need a word processor that is as low tech as possible, check out Ebay and pick up an Alphasmart Neo.  They are cheap, durable, free of distraction, and work on AAA batteries.  You can connect one to a PC/Mac using a USB cable and send the NEO typed files into any text type file.  This tech is super old, so he might get by with an IPad.  I just met a local man with kids enrolled in ps, and all of his kids were issued IPads.  

You asked earlier about volunteering to provide supports to your DS.  Yes, volunteer and provide all the supports that the school will allow.  I have to say that homework dominated our afternoons.  If the teachers will allow it, scribe the homework.  Just work closely with the teachers.  Son's teachers emailed with me and we spoke often, so much so that son's 2nd grade teacher and I are now very close friends.  Good luck!

• Like 3

^^^ same thing happened with us.

2 of the boys SN teachers , we are close friends with.

One in particular. The one they were with the longest.

Heather makes a great point. It can work out very well.

If you can get in with a good teacher, our experience was, the teachers would 'break the rules' to accommodate what our boys needed.

Noone was the wiser :)

• Like 1

Did it even catch their attention? Was it something they had to help with? I think there are enough challenging behaviors in schools that they probably didn't even notice your ds'. And since he's coming from homeschooling, they have a handy excuse to blame it on.

His behavior is going to be what it is. If he has some anxiety or transition issues or whatever and they weren't showing up because of the supports you were giving, then sure they'll be there. They might improve as he adjusts, or things might go the opposite way with his behavior getting worse as he gets more comfortable and over the initial fascination and honeymoon.

You'll end up going through the IEP process, getting stuff added, and getting it taken care of. There's nothing he's going to do that they don't have a plan for. You wanted them on your team, so now you're working through it their way, the IEP way. But it will be ok! :)

DS held it together in front of them but I'm sure they noticed.

Your post is 100% awesome, logical, and correct!

• Like 1

But that's the real point. Is his going *contingent* on his behavior and response, or is he going no matter what and you're using the IEP process and the team process to make it work?

His behavior would unlikely ever be a reason for me to remove from public school, though I'll never say never. The schools willingness to accommodate his LDs is what will determine his staying in school.

Is he going into 2nd or 3rd?

Looking back, the biggest issue that we experienced during either of those grades was handwriting. Back then, I did not scribe for DS and there were no in class accommodations to address the handwriting. That was a MAJOR mistake on my part and perhaps my greatest regret.

If the school will allow them and you need a word processor that is as low tech as possible, check out Ebay and pick up an Alphasmart Neo. They are cheap, durable, free of distraction, and work on AAA batteries. You can connect one to a PC/Mac using a USB cable and send the NEO typed files into any text type file. This tech is super old, so he might get by with an IPad. I just met a local man with kids enrolled in ps, and all of his kids were issued IPads.

You asked earlier about volunteering to provide supports to your DS. Yes, volunteer and provide all the supports that the school will allow. I have to say that homework dominated our afternoons. If the teachers will allow it, scribe the homework. Just work closely with the teachers. Son's teachers emailed with me and we spoke often, so much so that son's 2nd grade teacher and I are now very close friends. Good luck!

Thanks. We're starting third. The dysgraphia is my biggest concern. He's learning to type ok, and the school is issuing iPads to all kids, but using technology like that for his LD is pending. We're in the 504 "wait and see if he needs accommodations yet" process. With me, he only writes 15-30 min per day for handwriting instruction. For them he will write a lot but I bet they don't care as much about exactness if he can produce. Edited by displace

So the conclusion to the story: first day was a raging success! He went on and on and on about how awesome everything is, the kids, the teachers, etc! I almost cried. He wrote a few things today they asked him to. Without a fuss (I think). He had a few things in his daily folder that he wrote too. It was small, and legible to me.

I hope the momentum continues. I told him if he likes school and they are willing to work with him, I will do whatever to help him stay there.

Thanks for all the well wishes and positive thoughts. Idk what the future holds, but for today I'll be grateful and excited for him too.

• Like 4

Thats....awesome! :)

We found (our DS 13 is the behavior issue at home) that the school never saw what we saw. He didn't do it for them.

My theory?....he's not quite sure what they'd do lol.

All kidding aside. I think it's normal for kids to be better for others than for moms.

Lil bugars lol ;)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1