Menu

Help settle a resume debate!

Kassia

I have two sons who will be seniors in college this fall.  They are updating their resumes now and one insists that he does not need an objective in his resume because it's redundant and a waste of space.  I disagree.

This started because the company my other son interns at asked for an updated resume.  In this case, I don't know if an objective is needed because it seems like just a formality and he's not applying for a specific position.  

Please help!

My husband reads resumes on a regular basis so I asked him. He says that objectives are not needed and distracting. He prefers to see that kind of thing in the cover letter, but not using the word "objective" as a candidate describes basic goals and attributes.

• Like 6

If they are applying for a particular job, no objective is necessary, as most would assume the objective is to be hired for that particular listed position.

If they are fishing, in an "I'll do anything for your company, but ideally I'd like to do this" sort of way, an objective might be useful, but that style of job-hunting really only works with small owner-operated businesses where there are so few employees that each one holds multiple roles.

• Like 2

This brings back unpleasant memories!  I think "objective" is silly - obviously one's objective is to get a job!  Let's be real - most of us would take anything that paid enough to cover the student loans.  :p  I guess if you're posting it on a generic list where all kinds of employers will see it, an objective would make sense.  You want to work in engineering, not daycare or nursing.  But sending it to a specific employer / in response to a specific job listing?  It's obvious and overkill and a little ridiculous IMO.  A little pompous actually.  :)

I say this remembering how excruciating it was to come up with an "objective," since my school required our resume to have one.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

Objectives are a waste of super-valuable real estate on a resume.

When I'm designing, I sometimes use the space just below the header to highlight some keywords related to the position that help the candidate stand out and/or list some of his/her specific accomplishments, before getting into the employment history/list of responsibilities, which I try to keep as brief as possible.

Ultimately, the point of a resume is not to get the job, but to get an INTERVIEW. Visually, a resume should be easily scannable, so that the most important info jumps out and convinces the reader that the candidate is worth a second look. But nowadays, it first has to get past the software most companies of size use to weed out applicants -- and the best way to do that is to use the keywords most likely to trigger the software. The traditional objective statement in no way helps you do that.

• Like 7

I write resumes for a living (well, for a supplement to our living :)), and I agree with the others that an objective is not necessary. Instead, use that space to describe the value that the applicant brings to the organization. This can be one simple line or a few relevant skills--something that introduces the person and makes the hiring manager say, "Hey! This person sounds like a good fit already. I'll keep reading."

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 2