Menu

Palin: abuse of power or contributing factor?

Alright, I just woke up so I may not be up to speed on Troopergate yet. But I checked the articles online on Fox News and MSNBC and I am a bit confused. Did she do wrong or not? The headlines are that she unlawfully abused her power , but the article from MSNBC says

The investigative report concludes that a family grudge wasn't the sole reason Gov. Sarah Palin fired the public safety commissioner but says it likely was a contributing factor.

Why does contributing factor = abuse of power?

I know you all have some thoughts on this.;)

The bipartisan report says she is guilty of abuse of power and violated the ethics act of the executive branch. What it basically said was the personal mess did contribute to the reason Monegan was fired. So that is where the abuse of power comes in.

What bothers me just as much is how much Todd Palin was involved and how much access Sarah allowed him to have. I wonder how much other business in the governor's office Todd was involved in. Also, it was almost like they were obsessed with this man and him being fired. They said they feared for their safety because the ex-BIL made threats against them. Gee, wonder how she will handle the next terrorist threat if she's afraid of a mosse-shooting, beer-drinking, taser using cop from Wasilla.

I hope Monegan sues her and gets a huge settlement.

I am waiting to see if she does the Christian thing by confessing her sin and asking for forgiveness of the Alaskan people. Somehow, I think not.

The bipartisan report says she is guilty of abuse of power and violated the ethics act of the executive branch. What it basically said was the personal mess did contribute to the reason Monegan was fired. So that is where the abuse of power comes in.

What bothers me just as much is how much Todd Palin was involved and how much access Sarah allowed him to have. I wonder how much other business in the governor's office Todd was involved in. Also, it was almost like they were obsessed with this man and him being fired. They said they feared for their safety because the ex-BIL made threats against them. Gee, wonder how she will handle the next terrorist threat if she's afraid of a mosse-shooting, beer-drinking, taser using cop from Wasilla.

I am waiting to see if she does the Christian thing by confessing her sin and asking for forgiveness of the Alaskan people. Somehow, I think not.

It doesn't sound like this will happen since the report said his firing was lawful.

Wow. Talk about a jump. Yes, I can see Sarah Palin shooting terrorists from a helicopter as VP, that is completely possible.:glare:

Have other spouses not been involved in the political process. Let me think...oh, yes. There was Hillary Clinton and the whole health care debacle.

I am amazed the amount of preposterous claims made in this post.

There was Hillary Clinton and the whole health care debacle.

Hillary Clinton declared before her husband was elected that her platform was going to be Health Care. There is a difference is being involved in the political process and Todd Palin making phone calls from the Governor's office to have someone fired for personal reasons. What is Todd Palin's platform?

I assume that many people are going to defend lying and persecution from this person whose "Christian values" they so admire. Par for the course- hypocrisy rules the day. I have read some postings on another board I am on this morning where one woman condoned Sarah Palin's actions because she was trying to "drive out Satan" from law enforcement. :lol:

How come there hasn't been more reporting about the ex-BIL and what he did? I really think there was a bit of abuse of his powers as a police officer, but we don't hear about that? Wonder why? oh thats right it is an election year??

Blessings,

Pat

:iagree: This seems like a politically motivated investigation. I am skeptical.

Why is the media not focused on the criminals in Congress who blew all the taxpayers money in the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac scandal? We are talking about billions of dollars of OUR money? Where is the outrage and criminal investigation in that?

Well, yeah, but look at the alternative: a state trooper is drinking on the job, abusing his stepson, & poaching, & he's untouchable because he was married to the gov's sil. Palin admits he should be fired but is worried that that would look like abuse of power. So, for essentially political reasons, she won't do. her. job.

I'm not saying that that was her thinking, & so far... I don't really like her. But I do think it's important to look at the situation from both sides--she was most likely d@mned if she did & d@mned if she didn't.

Also, it was almost like they were obsessed with this man and him being fired. They said they feared for their safety because the ex-BIL made threats against them. Gee, wonder how she will handle the next terrorist threat if she's afraid of a mosse-shooting, beer-drinking, taser using cop from Wasilla.

Well, actually, she seems to have dealt w/ her fear, don't you think? She didn't let the guy walk all over her, she fired him. Considering what we've read of his actions, I'd say that was appropriate, neither under nor over reacting. *If* that's how she responds to terrorists, maybe she'll make an ok VP after all?

Why is the media not focused on the criminals in Congress who blew all the taxpayers money in the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac scandal? We are talking about billions of dollars of OUR money? Where is the outrage and criminal investigation in that?

:iagree:

And the criminals, I mean CEO's and CFO's, who have walked away from the mortgage crisis with big fat pocketbooks, leaving the taxpayers to bail the banks out.

I really don't know how they live with themselves.

(((Hillary Clinton declared before her husband was elected that her platform was going to be Health Care. There is a difference is being involved in the political process and Todd Palin making phone calls from the Governor's office to have someone fired for personal reasons. What is Todd Palin's platform?)))

As far asI can see, Todd Palin is a private citizen who has a right to try to get this trooper fired, regardless of his wife's position. Good try, but this doesn't seem to amount to much.

Lisa

Well, actually, she seems to have dealt w/ her fear, don't you think? She didn't let the guy walk all over her, she fired him. Considering what we've read of his actions, I'd say that was appropriate, neither under nor over reacting. *If* that's how she responds to terrorists, maybe she'll make an ok VP after all?

Huh? Whose actions are you speaking of?

Palin did not fire Wooten. That's not what the investigation was about. Palin's firing of Monegan was questioned because she fired him after he refused to fire Wooten. She cited other reasons, but Monegan begged to differ on her motivation.

Palin tried to get Monegan to fire Wooten. She didn't have the authority to do it herself. She did fire Monegan. What actions of Monegan's do you think were inappropriate?

And the criminals, I mean CEO's and CFO's, who have walked away from the mortgage crisis with big fat pocketbooks, leaving the taxpayers to bail the banks out.

The taxpayers did not have to bail out the banks. By bailing them out we are rewarding irresponsible behavior. I, and many other Americans, disagreed with Congress on that. Congress did it anyway.

In fact, the $700 bailout was supposed to not cause the stock market to drop. It hasn't worked.

I agree with you about the CEO's that walked away from those bankrupt companies with huge bonuses. I don't know how they live with themselves.

This whole "investigation" with Sarah Palin just strikes me as a distraction from all the corruption in Congress and on Wall Street.

Palin did not fire Wooten. That's not what the investigation was about. Palin's firing of Monegan was questioned because she fired him after he refused to fire Wooten. She cited other reasons, but Monegan begged to differ on her motivation.

Palin tried to get Monegan to fire Wooten. She didn't have the authority to do it herself. She did fire Monegan. What actions of Monegan's do you think were inappropriate?

Are you saying that I read this article too early this AM? Or w/ insufficient caffeine???? :001_huh:

:lol:

Sorry!

The taxpayers did not have to bail out the banks. By bailing them out we are rewarding irresponsible behavior. I, and many other Americans, disagreed with Congress on that. Congress did it anyway.

In fact, the $700 bailout was supposed to not cause the stock market to drop. It hasn't worked.

I agree with you about the CEO's that walked away from those bankrupt companies with huge bonuses. I don't know how they live with themselves.

This whole "investigation" with Sarah Palin just strikes me as a distraction from all the corruption in Congress and on Wall Street.

I agree with you about the bailout and the CEOs.

But the Alaskan panel that investigated Sarah Palin started the investigation before the bailout, and in fact, even before she was nominated for VP.

I agree with you about the bailout and the CEOs.

But the Alaskan panel that investigated Sarah Palin started the investigation before the bailout, and in fact, even before she was nominated for VP.

I doubt John McCain would have picked her, then, if she were guilty of a serious crime, because his team would have analyzed her pretty closely before choosing her as a VP pick.

Oh.my.goodness. This is my daily wonderment since this broke. What is going on?? Why is this not a REALLY.BIG.DEAL?

I doubt John McCain would have picked her, then, if she were guilty of a serious crime, because his team would have analyzed her pretty closely before choosing her as a VP pick.

Well, how closely the McCain team analyzed her was a subject of much discussion immediately following the announcement of her selection. I believe there are differing accounts.

That aside, the bipartisan Alaskan panel is not saying she committed a "serious crime." They are saying she acted legally but unethically.

And I certainly wouldn't expect the panel to suspend their investigation just because Palin is now a VP candidate.

Well, yeah, but look at the alternative: a state trooper is drinking on the job, abusing his stepson, & poaching, & he's untouchable because he was married to the gov's sil. Palin admits he should be fired but is worried that that would look like abuse of power. So, for essentially political reasons, she won't do. her. job.

I'm not saying that that was her thinking, & so far... I don't really like her. But I do think it's important to look at the situation from both sides--she was most likely d@mned if she did & d@mned if she didn't.

She could have made one phone call and reported his drinking, etc. then let the BIL's superiors deal with the situation at their discretion.

As others have said she didn't fire him. She had someone else fired for not firing him. I think corruption within law enforcement exists in many places and is a serious thing. My opinion would change greatly if there were evidence that Palin frequently called to report the actions of other law enforcement officials, not just the BIL after he separated from her sister.

Oh.my.goodness. This is my daily wonderment since this broke. What is going on?? Why is this not a REALLY.BIG.DEAL?

:banghead::cursing::sneaky2::angry::mad:

Yes, I admit I am rather stinkin' sick and tired of the media. I don't care if Palin is distantly related to Princess Diana, or Obama is distantly related to Brad Pitt.

I can see how the troopergate story does matter some but it does not matter more than the criminals who have jeopardized our countries economic stability.

I'm sick of both presidential candidates who do not give specifics on calling out exactly where the problem lies with this melt-down but just twist a little politics into a negative smear if it works for them, otherwise ignore the whole thing.

McCain has been a big, fat sissy on the whole thing, and has anyone heard Obama say one word against the very large part congress played in this mess? I don't think so.

Even SNL is more honest than any of them.

Edited by CLHCO
Wow. Spelling is bad when I'm mad

Would you like to know what caused the crisis we are in?

"It was the meltdown of the subprime mortgage market with cascading defaults that triggered the start of the credit crisis in the United States in August 2007."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081011/D93OB7SG0.html

"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are two government agencies who created, and remain highly involved in, the secondary market for mortgage-backed securities. They now own or guarantee about $1.4 trillion, or 40%, of all U.S. mortgages, with $168 billion in subprime mortgages. The two agencies support the secondary market, which is supposed to help low-income families realize the dream of homeownership, and that has turned into the nightmare of the subprime mortgage crisis."

Read all about it if you would like.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/grossdomesticproduct/tp/Subprime_Mortgages_FNMA.htm

If Monegan was under her authority, isn't it her job to ensure he is doing his job? And since he did not fire a loose cannon like Wooten, I would say Monegan wasn't quite doing his job. If I were in her place, I'd probably give him the boot too and get someone in there that wouldn't keep a man like Wooten on the force.

:iagree: This seems like a politically motivated investigation. I am skeptical.

the conclusion of this report was reached by a 12-0 bi-partisan Legislative Council decision.

from the Anchorage Daily News:

Branchflower's report contains four findings. The first concludes that Palin violated the state's executive branch ethics act, which says that "each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust."

Troopergate Report

the conclusion of this report was reached by a 12-0 bi-partisan Legislative Council decision.

Branchflower's report contains four findings. The first concludes that Palin violated the state's executive branch ethics act, which says that "each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust."

Troopergate Report

It also said that Palin acted within her authority by removing Monegan from his job as public safety commissioner.

What I am saying is I don't think the media is focusing on the bigger issues, and yes I still see the timing of this as politically motivated.

a few weeks ago i read somewhere (sorry, i don't have a link) that this investigation was started well before Palin was picked for VP with a release of its findings anticipated for October. if this is correct, it definitely would have been seen as 'politically motivated' if the findings had been held until after 11/4.

i'll try to find a link as soon as i clear some papers off my desk.

my reading of the article said Palin had other legitimate grounds for removing Monegan but that those reasons did not excuse her office and especially Todd for pressuring Monegan on the BIL issue.

Edited by Deidre in GA

okay. i found one. (no, my desk isn't really clear...)

Palin won't actually cooperate with the original investigation — the one approved unanimously by a majority Republican committee in the state legislature this summer, which Palin welcomed in a spirit of transparency and accountability before she became the Republican Party's vice-presidential nominee.

Time Magazine, September 23, 2008

The report with link here certainly makes clear that it is a far more subtle allegation than one might think. What is interesting and bothersome to me is the extent of Todd Palin's involvement in the situation. The analysis of the alleged violation of the ethics laws against what is called self dealing , or as the statute states, abuse of power. It is not that long to read and the compelling analysis of the law and what it means is really interesting. I am not satisfied that the statute was violated-I do not like the analysis that attempts to parse the statute so that it was sufficient to call it abuse of power to find that she "partially "abused her office . I will read further but it seems at first blush to be semantics only .

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Interactives/Politics/Election2008/branchflower_report_to_the_legislative_council.pdf Page 66 of the document is an excellent summary of the law and the facts as pertinent to the investigation. Most of what follows that is deposition and sworn statements. They are interesting indeed but the statutory analysis is what counts

Edited by elizabeth
Forgot note regarding page on which analysis can be found

Time.com had an interesting article on this issue. Sorry, I don't know how to do links....

The article states that what happened wasn't (exactly) unlawful. But what gives the author pause is the way the Palin administration handled the whole process. The author called it "amateurish" and demonstrated that Palin's readiness to hold the office of VP should be questioned.

Personally, from what I've read, I don't like the way the situation was handled--too much bullying, cronyism, lack of forethought and judgement.

But I also think the trooper sounds like a bad guy, someone who shouldn't be trusted in law enforcement.

If I lived in Alaska, I'd likely be glad the trooper was fired and look the other way in regards to how that firing came about.

Still, I think the way Palin's admin. handled the situation shows she is simply not ready right now to hold a national office.

My understanding is that findings of the report are twofold:

1. In the firing of Monhegan, her actions were found to be "proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads."

2. In heractions regarding Wooten (who, as far as I know, is still on the job, incidentally) she was found to have acted in violation of state ethics laws and abused her power.

So she did nothing illegal in firing Monhegan, but did act illegally on the larger issue of her handling of the Wooten case.

Finding Number One

For the reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) provides The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.

there are the statute numbers that she was found to have violated.

I would humbly suggest that if Joe Biden were found guilty of ethics violations by a legislative body dominated by his own party in an investigation that began before he was nominated for VP, it might be an uphill battle to try to claim he was the victim of a politically-motivated witchhunt.

Would you like to know what caused the crisis we are in?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081011/D93OB7SG0.html

Read all about it if you would like.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/grossdomesticproduct/tp/Subprime_Mortgages_FNMA.htm

Thanks for the links, fractalgal! I actually have been keeping up with this so my post was joining in complete agreement with you and MeganP that this thing with Palin, while annoying and could have/should have been handled differently (and, I will add while I'm at it, that all of the canditates have had similar bad judgement issues surface this year), was NOT illegal...bad judgement, at worst, and is not going to require every American to pay for someone else's pocket-lining. While the FM/FM CEOs just walk away.

It is simply unbelievable. Unbelievable that we are not more outraged. The Palin issue pales in comparision (ugh...no pun intended). I'm just :angry::mad::banghead::angry:.

(What is up with my grammar this a.m.??)

Edited by Debbie in OR
typo; added something

Branchflower report contains four findings. The first concludes that Palin violated the state's executive branch ethics act, which says that "each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust."

Troopergate Report

G.C. Lichtenberg wrote, "The most dangerous of all falsehoods is a slightly distorted truth.

Some bi-partisan group.... It was the Republicans in the Republican party who had axes to grind because she took the party on, cleaned it up, and Dems.......... and in the end they cleared her but made sure they left enough doubt..... After all they needed their pound of flesh.

Sorry it was about as truly objective of a group as a lynch mob could be once the law got there. Every one who reads what this group put out should do so with a large grain of salt.

Last bit I will add is just what does the VP do, preside over the Senate and breaks tie votes.... and how often is there a tie? How often does a VP become Pres other than by election. Twice in my 48.5 years, Johnson and Ford. All this is much ado about nothing. All the vitriol against Palin is much ado about nothing. The job of the VP is to rally the base during the campaign and then hold a gavel for 4 years. VP is a do nothing job as outlined in the constitution. So all the undies in bunches about Palin are for what..... a do nothing job that will have almost no impact on policy unless there is the dreaded tie vote :eek: Which happens so often that all the bad that has ever come out of Washington can be directly tied back to a VP breaking a tie vote :lol:

Can anyone, and I am sure someone on the boards can, point to the tie breaking votes given in the last 25 years and how important and impacting those votes were. I bet knowing off the cuff less than one percent of one percent of us can answer that. Puts the Palin, even Biden, thing in a whole nother light. They are the accent pillow you buy to put on your couch to make it look a bit nicer and what is more important the couch or the pillow?

Edited by RebeccaC

Thanks for the links, fractalgal! I actually have been keeping up with this so my post was joining in complete agreement with you and MeganP that this thing with Palin, while annoying and could have/should have been handled differently (and, I will add while I'm at it, that all of the canditates have had similar bad judgement issues surface this year), was NOT illegal...bad judgement, at worst, and is not going to require every American to pay for someone else's pocket-lining. While the FM/FM CEOs just walk away.

It is simply unbelievable. Unbelievable that we are not more outraged. The Palin issue pales in comparision (ugh...no pun intended). I'm just :angry::mad::banghead::angry:.

(What is up with my grammar this a.m.??)

I agree with you. My husband and I lost a lot of money already on this "financial crisis", and I know many others on this board have as well.

I am hopeful that whoever is elected President will either regulate/reform or eliminate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac so at the very least this doesn't happen again.

Why doesn't the media focus at least some sort of investigation into this!

Last bit I will add is just what does the VP do, preside over the Senate and breaks tie votes.... and how often is there a tie? How often does a VP become Pres other than by election. Twice in my 48.5 years, Johnson and Ford. All this is much ado about nothing. All the vitriol against Palin is much ado about nothing. The job of the VP is to rally the base during the campaign and then hold a gavel for 4 years. VP is a do nothing job as outlined in the constitution. So all the undies in bunches about Palin are for what..... a do nothing job that will have almost no impact on policy unless there is the dreaded tie vote :eek: Which happens so often that all the bad that has ever come out of Washington can be directly tied back to a VP breaking a tie vote :lol:

given McCain's age, i think it is unwise to not take into consideration what a VP might be called to do. heck, it's unwise period; a president of any age can slip in the bathtub and die. i want every official in every position to be ready to step up to the plate if the worst possible scenario unfolds. for me, Palin is not that person and should not be elected to the VP position.

Deidre in GA is completely correct--all of this started long before Palin was the VP pick--why McCain chose her when many things where in question is anyone's guess. But there are many points here that have not been brought up. As to the media's coverage--they go where the interest is, and they seem to think this is it.

The whole thing about Wooten's possible drinking in his trooper car, tasering his stepson, etc, were all allegations only made by Palin and her husband.

Palin's husband used, not only her phone and office, but also her computers, and staff, for this and many other matters. He was not a government official and had no right to do so. Hillary Clinton did take on many different hats while First Lady, which is considered an official position. All First Ladies I can recall have done, and have been expected to do, a very large amount of work for the US.

From a Yahoo News article this morn, entitled: "Report stings Palin over Troopergate flap":

"A legislative investigator found that Palin violated state ethics laws and abused her power by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper."

Here is the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081011/ap_on_el_pr/palin_troopergate;_ylt=Al98amgANmvYES1NdTICskqs0NUE

They do go on to say that they do not have the power to give any type of punishment, only the Personnel Board can.

One thing to remember is that Palin originally said she and her staff would gladly testify, then she and her husband refused, and her staff ignored subpoenas to testify, presumably under her orders. Which does make you wonder why, if they had nothing to hide.

given McCain's age, i think it is unwise to not take into consideration what a VP might be called to do. heck, it's unwise period; a president of any age can slip in the bathtub and die. i want every official in every position to be ready to step up to the plate if the worst possible scenario unfolds. for me, Palin is not that person and should not be elected to the VP position.

Ummm.... Ya, there has been a lot of slippage of presidents in bathtubs in our 200+ year history.... So many that I have lost count, Whoops! No, wait.... I think that count is zero... In fact I can't think of anyone in irl I know who has slipped in the tub and died at any age over 2.

The group who did the investigation do not have clean hands and do have an invested interest in seeing Palin given bad press, ect..... They are not a true bi-partisan group. It is not objective proof that Palin should or should not be VP. Your posting of the link is not clean either but has an agenda as you just stated,

for me, Palin is not that person and should not be elected to the VP position.

I understand that you don't like Palin but It is McCain and Obama who are more important.

Ummm.... Ya, there has been a lot of slippage of presidents in bathtubs in our 200+ year history.... So many that I have lost count, Whoops! No, wait.... I think that count is zero... In fact I can't think of anyone in irl I know who has slipped in the tub and died at any age over 2.

Wow; that was an incredibly sarcastic, snarky comment. I'm pretty certain that Deirdra's comment was rhetorical. Defending Palin certainly brings out the best in some people.

astrid

Edited by astrid
added

As to the media's coverage--they go where the interest is, and they seem to think this is it.

If that were true, there would be an investigation into Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac by now. There is a lot of anger and interest in that.

Most of the time, the media tries to make the candidates it wants elected look good, and the ones it doesn't want elected look bad.

If that were true, there would be an investigation into Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac by now. There is a lot of anger and interest in that.

Most of the time, the media tries to make the candidates it wants elected look good, and the ones it doesn't want elected look bad.

Then by that logic we should be electing Britney Spears and the Jolie-Pitt. Sex and violence sell, for the most part network and cable news are show biz... pure and simple (it's all about the ratings). If folks were not interested then the ratings would go down and the shows would scramble to cover what their viewers want, like Fox focusing on the Obama is a closet terrorist angle.

Do you know how un-sexy Fannie and Freddy are compared to whether Palin has a lip liner tattoo or if she has had an affair. So, of course a minor abuse of power involving a hot divorce, is going to be far more interesting than investigating mortgage funds mismanagement. Actually covering the issues does not make for entertaining TV viewing.

Then by that logic we should be electing Britney Spears and the Jolie-Pitt. Sex and violence sell, for the most part network and cable news are show biz... pure and simple (it's all about the ratings). If folks were not interested then the ratings would go down and the shows would scramble to cover what their viewers want, like Fox focusing on the Obama is a closet terrorist angle.

Do you know how un-sexy Fannie and Freddy are compared to whether Palin has a lip liner tattoo or if she has had an affair. So, of course a minor abuse of power involving a hot divorce, is going to be far more interesting than investigating mortgage funds mismanagement. Actually covering the issues does not make for entertaining TV viewing.

:iagree: 100% Why do you think mags like People, and all the others are so popular? That is all I see at checkout stands at grocers--not Time or other news magazines. People want gossip, gossip, gossip for the most part. Sad, but true.

I've seen many people here say they haven't read the articles about Fanny Mae or Freddie Mac, or about the economy, or about the candidates. They come here for their news--which is why I post news articles, not blogs, regardless of attacks. I read everything that is news that I can find on both sides. I feel it is my duty as a citizen, to be as informed as I can before I vote. I read the NY Times and the Wall St. Journal every day, I don't pick up gossip mags, I read online news, and I do consider myself well informed. I'm entitled to my opinions, and when I post them here, I know what I am talking about.

But many people in America are swayed by what singers think, what actors think, what columnists think, what authors think. TV greatly effected elections--Reagan proved that. Now it is the internet. Forums like this sway votes. Artists influence everyone, not just teens. Someone asked who would listen to them? Too many people. I'm a dinosaur; most people won't do what I do. They don't have time (I have major insomnia :D), or the desire, or the inclination; I'd put it as much to time as anything; or maybe the way I was brought up--my dad slept 4 hours a night, and read the same papers every morn.

In any case, this is America, welcome to it.

Wow; that was a snarky comment. I'm pretty certain that Deirdra's comment was rhetorical. Defending Palin certainly brings out the best in some people.

astrid

My point was that the vitriol against Palin is pointless. I was not so much defending Palin.... You did read my first post and understand that? I am sick and tired of reading the Aha I have the smoking gun on and I got because I am ever so objective as are the folks who handed me the gun that will now change your mind forever on.......... I am tired of it for Obama and tired of it for Palin and tired of it for McCain and seeing next to nothing about Biden just waiting to be tired about it for him....

In case you misread this and my motivation I am TIRED of this election and how it divides everyone! As if we are now all brainless and need to be enlightened about...... and have no idea how to research info on any thing.

I wonder about all of these links, as if no one reads the papers and gets info for themselves. Links to newspapers with biases whether it is the Huffington report or the National Review, liberal or conservative and then presented as if they are objective and in the same league as Moses bringing the tablets off Sinai. I am sick of political investigations by both parties that pretend to be bi-partisan and have sick of them since the Clinton era.

Please do not mis read this I am not defending Palin!

Edited by RebeccaC

My point was that the vitriol against Palin is pointless. I was not so much defending Palin.... You did read my first post and understand that? I am sick and tired of reading the Aha I have the smoking gun on and I got because I am ever so objective as are the folks who handed me the gun that will now change your mind forever on.......... I am tired of it for Obama and tired of it for Palin and tired of it for McCain and seeing next to nothing about Biden just waiting to be tired about it for him....

In case you misread this and my motivation I am TIRED of this election and how it divides everyone! As if we are now all brainless and need to be enlightened about...... and have no idea how to research info on any thing.

I wonder about all of these links, as if no one reads the papers and gets info for themselves. Links to newspapers with biases whether it is the Huffington report or the National Review, liberal or conservative and then presented as if they are objective and in the same league as Moses bringing the tablets off Sinai. I am sick of political investigations by both parties that pretend to be bi-partisan and have sick of them since the Clinton era.

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

It also said that Palin acted within her authority by removing Monegan from his job as public safety commissioner.

What I am saying is I don't think the media is focusing on the bigger issues, and yes I still see the timing of this as politically motivated.

Yes, it most certainally is politically motivated. Political because she's a politician running for the second highest office in the country. She played around with her power and she got busted. Let's not act like we're surprised by this (is this the first time it's happened that a politician used their power for personal gain??) But... let's not sweep it under the rug just because there are "bigger criminals" in Congress and on Wall Street right now.

Margaret

But how many people here say themselves they don't read the papers? Don't know what is going on? Act as though all of this is news to them? This is the new thing--learn it on a forum--listen to an actor--get it where ever, but it is 2nd hand news. That is what is really frightening! Blogs are the big "news" these days! Everyone here quotes them like they are news! How many here quote wikipedia like it is gospel? Don't you see it all the time?

Yes, it most certainally is politically motivated. Political because she's a politician running for the second highest office in the country. She played around with her power and she got busted. Let's not act like we're surprised by this (is this the first time it's happened that a politician used their power for personal gain??) But... let's not sweep it under the rug just because there are "bigger criminals" in Congress and on Wall Street right now.

Margaret

:iagree: :D Where is my rep button???

:iagree: that sex and violence sell, and unfortunately many of us are "tuned in" to the wrong things. Again, this is what I am saying.

The focus should be on how to not let this financial crisis happen again. Most everyone is suffering now with the stock market tanking.

However, there is also a lot of anger about the Bailout. Perhaps people will pay more attention to what Congress does as a result of this anger.

I don't see anyone here sweeping it under the rug. How about next week we focus on Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae?

I think that is a great idea! That is about the worst thing I can remember seeing happen--financially, anyway. Well, that and the oil companies. I don't get why something more isn't being done about them. Besides the huge waste of money, useless committee that was convened over the summer that knew it couldn't do anything but went ahead anyway.

Why wait till next week? We could start today? ;) Although my pain meds are wearing off. I might get a bit grumpy soon. Think I'd prefer to take more and retire to my bedroom. :D