Menu

Study abroad with chronic health condition

15 yr old DD wants to study abroad in France her junior year. She was just diagnosed with Crohn's and will need remicade infusions every 8 weeks. Our health insurance will not cover international treatment and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with a situation like this and if you were able to find some sort of travel insurance that would of cover this. The travel insurance that the study abroad organization provides does not cover treatment like this, either. I'm not sure where else to look, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

• Like 1

When I was a college exchange student in Germany I was eligible for German health insurance. Which was absurdly cheap and had great coverage. (I think I paid something like 150 DM for the year. I was charged 25 DM for an ambulance ride. I don't remember the exact exchange rate but it was like 1.5 dollars to the DM.) I would research to see if local coverage is a possibility with the country and the program.

Maybe she will need to go to a different country or program, but if that is what it takes to study abroad, it is so worth it!

Edited by Lawyer&Mom
  • Like 1

Yes, I've emailed the French consulate about it, but have not heard back. The college organization in France told me that she is not eligible for the low-cost coverage that they give college students since she is under 18. 

When I was a college exchange student in Germany I was eligible for German health insurance. Which was absurdly cheap and had great coverage. (I think I paid something like 150 DM for the year. I was charged 25 DM for an ambulance ride. I don't remember the exact exchange rate but it was like 1.5 dollars to the DM.) I would research to see if local coverage is a possibility with the country and the program.

Maybe she will need to go to a different country or program, but if that is what it takes to study abroad, it is so worth it!

I have also found many insurance companies that cover travel abroad, but hardly anyone covers pre-existing conditions, which is where we're having the issue. The infusions cost $10k each here in the US, and it is very possible it would be cheaper overseas, but we without knowing the cost, it's difficult to plan for. Even 25% of the cost is still a lot out of pocket :(  

I bought health insurance indipendently (just googled it, did 10 min of research) for my child while he was abroad, it was very inexpensive.
You may be able to pay out of pocket there for what the copay is here :(

Oh gee that is a bummer. 

Now why won't they cover it abroad?  I mean the insurance you have.  Do they just absolutely never consider covering anything abroad?  I wonder if they'd be willing to cover stuff with arrangements (like you find a doctor in the host country who would accept a particular amount).  Do you have any sort of out of network coverage? 

Just trying to brainstorm.  I worked for a couple of insurance companies and while it was always rather complicated to make these arrangements it was often possible.  And then is there any way to get the drug paid for her to take with her and make arrangements to have just the infusion part done?

Or, it might be cheaper to just fly home than to try to pay for that out of pocket.  If a flight costs say $800 round trip, that's probably way less than trying to pay for any of that out of your pocket. 

• Like 1

My husband was told by HR that they only cover emergencies abroad. I'll have him call to confirm this is the case. Our insurance is not the greatest, so it really doesn't surprise me. 

I'm not sure the Remicade is transportable for her to take with her. We'll reach out to our gastro to see if they have any suggestions, too. 

Thanks for the suggestions, we really appreciate it! She's been through so much the past few months (including finding out the Peace Corps likely won't accept her because of her Crohn's) that I hate to dash all her hopes & dreams because we couldn't find a policy that would cover her. 

Oh gee that is a bummer. 

Now why won't they cover it abroad?  I mean the insurance you have.  Do they just absolutely never consider covering anything abroad?  I wonder if they'd be willing to cover stuff with arrangements (like you find a doctor in the host country who would accept a particular amount).  Do you have any sort of out of network coverage? 

Just trying to brainstorm.  I worked for a couple of insurance companies and while it was always rather complicated to make these arrangements it was often possible.  And then is there any way to get the drug paid for her to take with her and make arrangements to have just the infusion part done?

Or, it might be cheaper to just fly home than to try to pay for that out of pocket.  If a flight costs say $800 round trip, that's probably way less than trying to pay for any of that out of your pocket. 

• Like 1

I have also found many insurance companies that cover travel abroad, but hardly anyone covers pre-existing conditions, which is where we're having the issue. The infusions cost $10k each here in the US, and it is very possible it would be cheaper overseas, but we without knowing the cost, it's difficult to plan for. Even 25% of the cost is still a lot out of pocket :(

But I don't think I was ever asked about preexisting conditions when i applied for DS...it could be that he is much younger?

But I don't think I was ever asked about preexisting conditions when i applied for DS...it could be that he is much younger?

Although getting real here, what insurance company wants to take someone on who already has an expensive condition?  I think the idea is they take the risk that something unexpected happens, but it's assumed it didn't start off that way.  I doubt the US policy against discriminating for per-excisting conditions would apply in this case.  

Although getting real here, what insurance company wants to take someone on who already has an expensive condition? I think the idea is they take the risk that something unexpected happens, but it's assumed it didn't start off that way. I doubt the US policy against discriminating for per-excisting conditions would apply in this case.

I don't know, I was being pretty real when I said that I was not asked about preexisting conditions when I bought health insurance for 6 months. Edited by madteaparty

I don't know, I was being pretty real when I said that I was not asked about preexisting conditions when I bought health insurance for 6 months.

You may not have been specifically asked, but somewhere in the policy they could mention it.  Which is even worse than asking because really with that kind of clause in the contract they could determine that anything that comes up is preexisting.

Recently, in the USA, the Health Insurance policies are supposed to cover Pre Existing Conditions.  Someone like your DD is a "lose lose" situation for any insurance company, because of the  expensive treatments she requires, and they would prefer not to write a policy for her.  There are companies that issue Health insurance policies for people who are not in their home country, temporarily or permanently, but I suspect they would exclude a pre existing condition like the one your DD has.  You said that you have contacted the French Consulate, and I suspect they will reply to you, eventually, but they are probably snowed under, because of the recent terrorist attacks in France.  A PP suggested the possibility of your DD returning to the states for these treatments and if they can be scheduled in advance, that might be much less expensive than paying for the treatments in France.   I would also suggest that you contact the ACS (American Citizen Services) unit in the U.S. Embassy in Paris, possibly they can give you contact information for one or 2 major hospitals that might be able to provide that kind of treatment for your DD, so you can contact them and find out what their normal charge is.  The ACS is probably also snowed under, because 3 Americans were killed in the attack in Nice and 3 others were wounded (4 are UC Berkeley students).  I think you will find, that in most countries, France, Colombia, Mexico, Israel, etc., outstanding medical care is available, but the possibility that a hospital in one country will accept an insurance policy issued in another country, which may or not cover treatment outside the country of issuance, is slim.  Lots of people come to Colombia, for Medical and Dental care, but I assume they pay for whatever treatments they have, out of their own pockets.  GL to your DD with the management of her medical issue!

• Like 1

Gently, here. It may not be the best time for your daughter to travel overseas. Managing a new chronic illness is stressful on its own and doing so in an unfamiliar environment and unfamiliar medical facility is more than I would expect out of a teen. It might be best for her to wait a couple of years before studying abroad. Universities have many study abroad opportunities that she can utilize.

• Like 3

Thank you! I hadn't found the ACS in my research. I will look into contacting them. 

Recently, in the USA, the Health Insurance policies are supposed to cover Pre Existing Conditions.  Someone like your DD is a "lose lose" situation for any insurance company, because of the  expensive treatments she requires, and they would prefer not to write a policy for her.  There are companies that issue Health insurance policies for people who are not in their home country, temporarily or permanently, but I suspect they would exclude a pre existing condition like the one your DD has.  You said that you have contacted the French Consulate, and I suspect they will reply to you, eventually, but they are probably snowed under, because of the recent terrorist attacks in France.  A PP suggested the possibility of your DD returning to the states for these treatments and if they can be scheduled in advance, that might be much less expensive than paying for the treatments in France.   I would also suggest that you contact the ACS (American Citizen Services) unit in the U.S. Embassy in Paris, possibly they can give you contact information for one or 2 major hospitals that might be able to provide that kind of treatment for your DD, so you can contact them and find out what their normal charge is.  The ACS is probably also snowed under, because 3 Americans were killed in the attack in Nice and 3 others were wounded (4 are UC Berkeley students).  I think you will find, that in most countries, France, Colombia, Mexico, Israel, etc., outstanding medical care is available, but the possibility that a hospital in one country will accept an insurance policy issued in another country, which may or not cover treatment outside the country of issuance, is slim.  Lots of people come to Colombia, for Medical and Dental care, but I assume they pay for whatever treatments they have, out of their own pockets.  GL to your DD with the management of her medical issue!

Humira is an option, but if Remicade works well, then we'll stay on that. I'm not sure the study abroad org will let her fly back. I'm placing a call into them today. Thanks!

Could she go onto Humira injections? Most policies only allow a 90 day supply....but with tickets to Paris at $1000ish RT, it may be worth it for her to fly home for a long weekend for labs and to pick up her new 90 day supply.

I appreciate your feedback :) This has long been a dream of hers, and if we can get the support system in place, I think she will be fine. She has already traveled on her own for several weeks with her diagnosis, and managed fine. I also have a chronic illness, so she is well aware of the struggles, and she has a great attitude about it all. 

Gently, here. It may not be the best time for your daughter to travel overseas. Managing a new chronic illness is stressful on its own and doing so in an unfamiliar environment and unfamiliar medical facility is more than I would expect out of a teen. It might be best for her to wait a couple of years before studying abroad. Universities have many study abroad opportunities that she can utilize.

I believe health insurances in the USA are required to cover pre-existing conditions now, though only within their network.  I doubt France is in their network!  Maybe some insurance companies will give approval though for out-of-network care.  I remember reading about how some insurance companies do that for college students who are out-of-network at college.  HOWEVER, I would still be surprised if they'd do that for her semester in Europe, though it's worth checking.

I believe most travel insurances are more for smaller, urgent care type appointments or major medical.  I have a feeling that it would be difficult to find one that would cover an expensive infusion due to an on-going condition.  How many would she need over there?  Just one?

France does have a good health plan that people on certain visas can get while they are there, but it is very difficult to get on those health plans.  It's not supposed to be, but it is due to very inefficient government services and organization.  I would not count on them.

If her heart is set on France, I'd probably recommend that she do a summer abroad program instead.  (Or some organizations have J-term or May-term programs, depending on what schedule her school is on.)  I think those run about 4-6 weeks so she wouldn't need any injections while over there.

Edited by J-rap

This is really helpful, thank you! My husband has spent the last 30 min on the phone with our current health insurance, and I have a call into the children's hospital's financial counselor. Our gastro said that he has had many patients study abroad with Remicade infusions, so we're trying to figure out how that works. I have found some companies who cover pre-existing conditions, and that is another avenue we're exploring. 

And the summer term is also a good idea. We're exploring that, as well. 

Thanks again, everyone!

I believe health insurances in the USA are required to cover pre-existing conditions now, though only within their network.  I doubt France is in their network!  Maybe some insurance companies will give approval though for out-of-network care.  I remember reading about how some insurance companies do that for college students who are out-of-network at college.  HOWEVER, I would still be surprised if they'd do that for her semester in Europe, though it's worth checking.

I believe most travel insurances are more for smaller, urgent care type appointments or major medical.  I have a feeling that it would be difficult to find one that would cover an expensive infusion due to an on-going condition.  How many would she need over there?  Just one?

France does have a good health plan that people on certain visas can get while they are there, but it is very difficult to get on those health plans.  It's not supposed to be, but it is due to very inefficient government services and organization.  I would not count on them.

If her heart is set on France, I'd probably recommend that she do a summer abroad program instead.  (Or some organizations have J-term or May-term programs, depending on what schedule her school is on.)  I think those run about 4-6 weeks so she wouldn't need any injections while over there.

• Like 1

This is really helpful, thank you! My husband has spent the last 30 min on the phone with our current health insurance, and I have a call into the children's hospital's financial counselor. Our gastro said that he has had many patients study abroad with Remicade infusions, so we're trying to figure out how that works. I have found some companies who cover pre-existing conditions, and that is another avenue we're exploring. 

And the summer term is also a good idea. We're exploring that, as well. 

Thanks again, everyone!

Sounds like you're covering all the bases!  I hope something works out!