Menu

How do you cook without gaining weight!

1. Make sure most of what you are cooking is identifiable as "plants" (or plant "parts")

2. Don't add "bad" things to "good" things to make them taste "better". Taste-buds adjust to "real food".

3. Knock out the "high-glycemic" starches.

4. Try to limit the "quality-control" checks :tongue_smilie:

Bill

1. Make sure most of what you are cooking is identifiable as "plants" (or plant "parts")

2. Don't add "bad" things to "good" things to make them taste "better". Taste-buds adjust to "real food".

3. Knock out the "high-glycemic" starches.

4. Try to limit the "quality-control" checks :tongue_smilie:

Bill

What if your "family" doesn't eat "plants" or anything remotely "resembling" "plants"? :glare:

I do everything Spy Car said. I serve meat to the omnivores, but control portion sizes (4 oz. for DD, 6 oz. for teen boys and DH). I cook with as little added fat as possible. I serve abundant amounts of vegetables and whole grains. I portion control all sweets. I serve ample food, but if someone is hungry enough for a second helping of meat, they have to eat veggies, beans, or whole grains instead. No second helpings are permitted at dinner unless everyone has eaten 3 servings of veggies first -- and I make sure each person has veggies they like on their plates. One DS has always refused to eat veggies, so he gets fruit and a multivitamin instead.

I serve bare vegetables -- I do not add anything to them to make them taste better except a handful of cranberries added to the pot of green beans or a drizzle of honey over baked sweet potatoes. (I have gotten completely away from my Southern cooking roots.)

In every season except summer, I make stews and soups to which I add very little meat (compared to single serving sizes) and loads of extra vegetables. I put lots of extra veggies in spaghetti sauce made with meat and in chili, and I usually use ground poultry instead of ground beef in these dishes.

I use herbs and spices to add flavor. I don't use cheese unless the dish I am cooking is cheese-based (rarely).

I serve and cook with skim milk only, and limit dairy unless it is fat-free (yogurt, sour cream). If I make something that requires whipped cream, I do not limit the fat content because that is a special dessert (strawberry shortcakes, pies on holidays).

Eggs are ingredients of some recipes, but I serve them as themselves only a couple of times a week. I serve bacon or sausage to my family a couple of times a week, too, with 2 items per serving. I don't put out butter for breads. My family uses preserves on toast, biscuits and English muffins, and muffins are eaten plain. Of course we use syrup for pancakes, waffles and French toast (except for me; I don't like it).

I serve bare veggies & fruits at holiday meals to make up for the unhealthily prepared foods I serve (gravy, mashed potatoes made with heavy cream and butter, stuffing, pecan pie, German chocolate cake). I love to cook and bake, but I save my favorite, highly caloric, recipes for major holidays.

Above all, I don't taste anything I cook -- I never have -- food tastes like it smells to me, and smelling is calorie-free and an appetite-killer. My sole major transgression -- and it is a big one -- is that when I cook a turkey, I eat the browned skin with stuffing rolled inside it and no one knows this because I do not want to share.

Edited by RoughCollie

What if your "family" doesn't eat "plants" or anything remotely "resembling" "plants"? :glare:

Change their diet. LOL. I don't mean that to sound snarky. My five sons love meat, but they'll eat salad. So, I got a great salad cookbook this summer that has some yummy recipes. Things like miniature blue cheese burgers on a bed of lettuce with blue cheese dressing. Or buffalo chicken salad. I use meat sparingly, and lots of greens, and we are all happy. Stir fry is another great option.

I'm with Spy Car....not eating plants is not good.

Ria

I am confused- like what type of plants? Veggies- ?

If it doesn't have a face or come from a face-bearer, it is a plant -- or you could say if it grows in the ground it is a plant, since as far as I know, clams don't have faces. This includes grains, beans, veggies, fruits, and everything made mainly therefrom, such as bread, pasta, and rice.

Eggs and dairy products come from a face-bearer, so they don't fit into the plant category.

Edited by RoughCollie

Vegetables of many types and varieties, beans, whole grains, some fruits...I'm not suggesting eating the shrubs out front :tongue_smilie:

Bill

ETA: I left our nuts, some nuts.

Edited by Spy Car

Are you baking or cooking? I think there's a difference, unless you are cooking with lots of heavy foods.

Not Bill, but I'm assuming he means veggies, beans, fruit, berries, nuts, whole grains, etc.

I agree w/Ria, soups, salads, and stir-fry are the best place to start. You can really load them up with healthy foods. For snacks, I put out nuts, fruit, veggies, and occasionally make healthier quick breads. None of us have weight issues.

Maybe if you share a typical week with us we can understand better? In general, I think that any homecooking is better than the quick convenient foods that most purchase. Those foods seem to pack on weight quicker in the general public than any good home cooking.

If it doesn't have a face or come from a face-bearer, it is a plant. This includes grains, beans, veggies, fruits, and everything made mainly therefrom, such as bread, pasta, and rice.

Eggs and dairy products come from a face-bearer, so they don't fit into the plant category.

The only differentiation I'd have with this (and the reason I said identifiable as "plants" or plant "parts" is the bread and pasta). And the rice (if it is not brown rice). Now do I eat bread, pasta, and white rice sometimes? You bet. I'm not a (complete) nut.

But for me they don't "count" in the "plant" category (nor do potatoes) and are foods that ought to be minimized. Brown rice is very good (and does count).

Of course grinding your own wheat with a Nurtamill and baking it fresh, moves the fulcrum, but I don't do that (too lazy).

Bill

If it's a cream soup, use nonfat milk or sour cream rather than something fattening. Don't use a lot of butter in cooking the veggies for this soup, and if you use meat at all, trim it first.

Soups like that are very filling, and then people take less of the rest of the meal. Also, have salads as your vegetable side dish--they are more filling than cooked veggies and don't require as much fattening food.

Also, try to avoid things that only come in big chunks, like steaks.

If you make ground turkey breast meatballs, or a casserole, for instance, people often define smaller serving sizes.

My problem with cooking for myself is that I only make things I really, really like. So naturally I eat a lot of it. I don't have a solution, but I do try to drink a lot of water 1/2 hour before a meal like this, and then I'm a little fuller going into it.

The only differentiation I'd have with this (and the reason I said identifiable as "plants" or plant "parts" is the bread and pasta). And the rice (if it is not brown rice). Now do I eat bread, pasta, and white rice sometimes? You bet. I'm not a (complete) nut. Bill

I eat & serve brown rice and whole grain bread and pasta. Except for DH's pasta -- he will not eat the whole grain type.

But all breads and pasta started out as plants, in the main, even though they were screwed around with as to make them a low quality food, which is why I didn't differentiate between the good stuff and the not-so-good stuff.

I'm not a complete nut either -- grilled cheese sandwiches have to be on store-bought white bread, and I do eat them once in awhile. I have white rice in the pantry and I serve it once in awhile, and I eat it, too!

I don't grind my own wheat, although the idea is a pleasing one -- I don't have time to add that to my duties, is all. I do bake bread to save money -- otherwise, I could live on Arnold's Double Fiber Whole Wheat Bread quite happily (at $4.19 per loaf, that's not gonna happen).

Edited by RoughCollie

I eat & serve brown rice and whole grain bread and pasta. Except for DH's pasta -- he will not eat the whole grain type.

You husband is a man of taste :D

The whole-wheat pasta just isn't the same, is it?

But all breads and pasta started out as plants, in the main, even though they were screwed around with as to make them a low quality food, which is why I didn't differentiate between the good stuff and the not-so-good stuff.

Yea but that's why I was trying to do the reverse. Anyway I'm sounding so "ruley" when I'm so un-ruley (or is unruly? :tongue_smilie:).

But to help the OP, I'd put bread and pasta in the "not identifiable as a plant" category, and not avoid them like the plague, but not count them towards the "good stuff".

With me?

Bill (who's getting to be good at arguing with people who agree with him :D)

With me?

Bill (who's getting to be good at arguing with people who agree with him :D)

With you, except that:

1. Whole wheat pasta doesn't taste as good, but I'm willing to suffer and eat it anyway. It makes me feel virtuous, which cannot be under-rated it happens so seldom. Plus, the suffering level is low, compared to the suffering I'd endure if I had to eat beets or sweet potatoes (this does not include sweet potato pie).

2. Whole grains belong in the plant category, period. The other stuff, okay -- I'm willing to put it in the junk food category.

I am a relatively recent convert to whole grains. I used to think brown rice was abominable, until I actually tasted it in an effort to get that virtuous feeling, along with better health. Same with whole grain breads.

Into which category do you place beans, Spy Car? I decided yesterday not to worry about it and call them vegetables. But, are they?

RC (who is getting to be good at worrying about things she decided not to worry about)

Edited by RoughCollie

I used to have that kind of problem where you taste too much stuff. Now I taste once to adjust seasonings and ask someone else to check for me. Two opinions = even seasonings.

Also, if you have to nibble, cut up some extra carrots or celery or cucumber. No one ever got fat on those. :)

Steer away from cream-based anything except for occasional special meals.

Get in the habit of using herbs to season and flavour instead of butter, cream, oils... experiment with herbs to find what works for your family's tastes.

And... all that stuff Bill said.

Then they won't have optimal health.

I'm sorry if that sounds overly "blunt". But...

Bill

I've tried blunt, I've tried pointed, I've tried Ranch dip and butter and cheese, I've tried everything short of cramming it down their throats and rubbing their neck to make them swallow.

And still they flicketh aside that which resembles "plant".

Gaaaahhhh.

I've tried blunt, I've tried pointed, I've tried Ranch dip and butter and cheese, I've tried everything short of cramming it down their throats and rubbing their neck to make them swallow.

And still they flicketh aside that which resembles "plant".

Gaaaahhhh.

Mine can upchuck at will....:banghead:

He will eat a most fruits and veges, at least a few pieces. It's the entrees that are not hot dogs, chicken nuggets, or pizza that he gags on.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

One word: Salad. Live it. Learn to love it. (My poor DH certainly has had to.)

For the non-plant eater (in my case, DS), I make a smoothie almost every night for dinner. It includes fresh and frozen berries, natural yogurt, ice cubes, water or milk...and a heap of fresh spinach and carrots and sometimes avocado. It's delicious--though it does often come out the color of my parents' 1971 Ford Maverick. Serve in an opaque cup for the squeamish. :D

In case you're not convinced by Bill that our industrial food is killing us, read this. When you've finished, you're convinced, and you decide you want to make a change, read this.

Good luck! :001_smile:

One word: Salad. Live it. Learn to love it. (My poor DH certainly has had to.)

For the non-plant eater (in my case, DS), I make a smoothie almost every night for dinner. It includes fresh and frozen berries, natural yogurt, ice cubes, water or milk...and a heap of fresh spinach and carrots and sometimes avocado. It's delicious--though it does often come out the color of my parents' 1971 Ford Maverick. Serve in an opaque cup for the squeamish. :D

In case you're not convinced by Bill that our industrial food is killing us, read this. When you've finished, you're convinced, and you decide you want to make a change, read this.

Good luck! :001_smile:

Hey! I learned to drive on a 1971ish Ford Maverick just that color. :D I called her Mavis.

I, too, have a ds who hates anything remotely plant based. Sigh. We are working on it.

To the original poster....

I take a vaguely European approach to food. That is to say, if I'm gonna eat it, I want it to be the good stuff. For example, at the risk of sounding snobby, I only eat Belgian chocolate (because we lived there, ya know.) And because it is the best and richest to my taste buds. I never grab a Snicker bar anymore. For us, that's real butter, good cheeses, small portions of nice steaks, organic milk, etc. I also know which grocery stores carry better tasting produce. That discovery helped me a LOT. My own garden and farmer's markets help, too. In short, I'd rather have a small amount of something wonderful than a plateful of mediocre

If I do this European thing well, then a meal is an event. Good dishes, a nice napkin, and well prepared food. Stopping between bites helps me savor the delicious flavors more. Companionship other than the TV is prefered.;) This is one of my downfalls. I love to read while I eat...which results in me shoveling in food.

Just the other day, I saw a nifty plate. On it was painted a variety of sections. One fourth for protein, one fourth for starches. Half the plate was designated for veggies. That's a good way to start. If you are cooking great veggies, (without cream, butter, or cheese) then weight gain won't be a huge problem.

Love everyone's advice. I'm taking notes myself.

Hey! I learned to drive on a 1971ish Ford Maverick just that color. :D I called her Mavis.

Gah! Me and my sister, too--ours was Ricky! Man, shifting that thing took some muscle, huh? Whew. Our motto: If you can drive Ricky, you can drive ANYTHING. Cheers! :D

(Lux: Please forgive temporary nostalgic threadjack. :blush: :auto: )

You know, this was the story with my daughter. Actually she'd eat vegetables but not green salad. I read in Fuhrman's book that it takes about 15 tries for someone to decide if they like something or not. I was quitting after three. After I read that, I told dd that "today is the day you start eating salad." She at a little every day. AFter about 12 time, she liked it. Now she eats salad at every meal.

Do it now, while they're young. I have a feeling trying that at 15 or 17 might not go over so well.

Jill, putting Ranch dip and butter and cheese on healthy veggies in an effort to get them "eaten" is a "violation" of rule #2 :D

ill

This just turns good food into junk food. And doesn't give the brain-taste mechanism a chance to "reset". If (as the diabolical "food scientists" have discovered) you give people fats (especially deep-fried fats) in conjunction with sugar and salt you "hook them". It's not unlike the addiction of smoking. But, in it's own way it is just as unhealthy.

What about this? The weather is turning, what about home-make soups? You can have meat (and a bone) if you want, but then add beans, veggies (even shredded kale), orange veggies, onions, freash garlic, a can of whole canned tomatoes, etc.

There are a million variations on good soup. And who doesn't like soup? Even with healthy things in it.

I know you have a battle on your hands. But it is one worth fighting, because a diet without "plants" will rob your loved ones of their health over time. You can't let that happen.

Bill (who is on your side)

When I was growing up, the choice was eat what Mum cooked, or starve. In the face of Mum's wrath, choosing to starve was not a clever choice! She worked on the premise that if you serve something up often enough, they'll learn to like it. I can tell you, from heavy experience, that this will work about 80% of the time. It will not work if you are soft about it, however. Making sure there is "nothing to eat" apart from your cooking, an apple or multigrain bread is a good way of boosting the odds. People, funnily enough, don't like being hungry.

Buying smaller plates is also a good thing. Serve up the mains, then provide a large bowl of salad to help themselves from when they've finished their sensible sized serving of meat and carbs. Become the queen of salad preparation. I have a great recipe calling for ham and tinned peaches. As far as Dh is concerned, this makes a salad far more manly than it would otherwise be. I haven't actually made that salad for about 2 years, but since I'm preggers he's been doing the cooking. Gestational diabetes requires the consumption of vast quanitities of salad, and he actually bought ham and tinned peaches without any request from me. That's how manly it is to eat tinned peach and ham in your salad ;) Making salad dressings is also a good idea. The family will feel better about their non-negotiable salad if they are able to choose their own dressings. Bottled dressings are full of bad oils, sugar and who knows what else. It takes about two minutes to whip up your own.

Culinary conversion is possible!

:)

Rosie

Y.I read in Fuhrman's book that it takes about 15 tries for someone to decide if they like something or not. .

This really does work! I started eating oatmeal for the first time ever and did not like it. After forcing myself to eat it every day for over a week, I noticed that it was getting to be not so bad, and now I might even like it.

RC

Bottled dressings are full of bad oils, sugar and who knows what else. It takes about two minutes to whip up your own.

Culinary conversion is possible!

:)

Rosie

:iagree: Bottled dressings are junk. Home-made dressing using a high quality olive oil, and a vinegar or lemon, mustard and other flavorings is easy, tastes so much better, and is actually healthful. A must do!

How long does homemade salad dressing keep? I have two salad-dressing eaters here (the rest of us eat salads bare), so should I make extra small batches daily, or will it keep in the fridge for awhile?

Thanks,

RC

Mine lasts QUITE a while, though I have to pull it out and bring it to room temperature to get the consistency right (the olive oil does wacky things in the refrigerator). I mix it in a largish jam jar, if you can imagine that size, but we have salad every day. So when it runs out I rinse and begin again. I'd say it lasts about a week or a little longer. :001_smile:

This is an excellent thread. I want to point out a couple more points.

1) Salad dressing were discussed. In general, I agree a good olive oil based dressing is downright healthy unlike a basic Ranch dressing (anyone have a healthy ranch recipe?) However, if a family loves Ranch I think it's best to cave on that issue and let them dip away. Later on, after veggies eating is well established, begin experimenting with alternative veggie preparations.

2) Plain veggies vs. buttered veggies were discussed. Instead of butter consider whether olive oil, salt, and/or a squeeze of lemon will work with your veggie selection. Olive oil is simply a healthier fat. I also like a sprinkling of Parmesan Reggiano in most cases (plain parmesan is a good alternative option).

3) Manly salads were discussed. Men differ. Here are some ideas that might suit your man. Add more protein through beans, nuts, cheeses, and/or meats. Consider a warm salad: lightly saute your veggies and chicken in olive oil and place on top of bed of salad. Try a variety of lettuces: I've learned my manly man loves romaine best. Other men prefer crunch: add some red cabbage, carrots, and/or nuts. Just keep experimenting. Then, one day invite others (or maybe his mom) over for dinner and listen to how your man brags about his veggie eating habits; this is when you will learn which veggies he actually does enjoy.

4) For the salad shy child, start serving salad for dinner. There's no negotiating "just try it" if it's all you serve. Reward completion of meal w/ a healthy dessert if you want. You can watch and see what they "pick out" of their salads and learn to make those items options if desired. You can even consider having a "make your own salad" dinner. Some days I put out little glass bowls of salad topping (tomatoes, green onions, broccoli, other veggies, cheeses, diced ham, egg, nuts, the variety changes on the day) and let my family make their own individual salads.

HTH!

Salads are a mixed bag. To be certain a salad can be very healthful if it is made with good ingredients, indulging vegetables and healthy greens and is dressed with olive oil.

But most "salads" in this country are iceberg lettuce topped with super-fatty 1000 Island, Ranch, or Blue Cheese dressings. With things like croutons and bacon-bits added. Such salads are not healthful, and, in fact, are dangerous foods to consume.

It is important to not replace one junk food with another. And many salads are junk food.

Bill (who should pick a less strident tone, but.....:tongue_smilie:)

And many salads are junk food.

Bill (who should pick a less strident tone, but.....:tongue_smilie:)

My favorite salad of all time is what I call "breakfast salad". It contains spinach, boiled eggs, onions, lots of freshly cooked, chopped bacon, and lots of shredded cheddar cheese, topped with an abundance of honey mustard dressing, and croutons are welcome to join the party -- or garlic breadsticks or cheese straws.

I never eat it any more, sadly, because it is probably one of the most unhealthy salads around.

Things I have changed..

First, it helps to exercise atleast 30 minutes a day (I do 20 miles on the treadmill a week, not easy, but I make it a priority...it actually MAKES you crave better foods!!!)

Things I've added to my diet...or changed

Salads include lots of raw spinach, and 'field greens'...those with all the darker leafy greens...I'll mix in some romaine lettuce for the crunch I like.

Don't eat after 6pm

Try to have all my cereals/breads be WHOLE grain..pretty much cut out white flour products except at family reunions and Thanksgiving and and birthday cakes! :)

Try to have all my bins in my fridge loaded with fresh fruit/veggies for snacks..

Trying new foods I've never tried....a great dish I love that is healthy is cannelini beans sauteed with garlic and throw in some radicchio just long enough to heat it..then top with a white fish of your choice (my kids love trout) and olive oil/lemon/garlic drizzle over it...

And I cut out all sugared drinks and diet drinks...it's all water/watered down whole juices or unsweet tea for me....

Those have helped.

Tara