Menu

Netflix vs Amazon Prime

mamiof5

We don't have cable. We have a Roku and have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. I used to use Hulu mainly for Grey's Anatomy and Doctor Who (they had a lot more of the classics episodes than netflix did, around 500 vs netflix's ~200), but since they lost DW, I'm thinking of cancelling. I might add Acorn in it's place. 

We also buy seasons of shows we really want through Amazon so we can watch each episode the day after it airs. We figure it's still cheaper than cable but now we will always have access to them. We purchase new seasons of Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Outlander. 

The kids mostly use Netflix, but there's a few things they go to Amazon for and they'll miss Curious George if I get rid of Hulu. 

We don't have cable. We have a Roku and have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. I used to use Hulu mainly for Grey's Anatomy and Doctor Who (they had a lot more of the classics episodes than netflix did, around 500 vs netflix's ~200), but since they lost DW, I'm thinking of cancelling. I might add Acorn in it's place. 

We also buy seasons of shows we really want through Amazon so we can watch each episode the day after it airs. We figure it's still cheaper than cable but now we will always have access to them. We purchase new seasons of Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Outlander. 

The kids mostly use Netflix, but there's a few things they go to Amazon for and they'll miss Curious George if I get rid of Hulu. 

Does hulu not have current episodes of the Flash? I've only watched the show a little and when it first came on I didn't watch it in a timely manner so episodes would start disappearing. Now I think older seasons are on Netflix, though.

Does hulu not have current episodes of the Flash? I've only watched the show a little and when it first came on I didn't watch it in a timely manner so episodes would start disappearing. Now I think older seasons are on Netflix, though.

It does, but only the last few and DH doesn't keep up so he would miss them. I also have a great dislike for commercials and didn't realize hulu had a higher price plan for no commercials until a few days ago. But I like to have them to rewatch and this way DH can see them once he gets to them. 

We don't own the first two seasons of Arrow because they were on Netflix before I started watching. Same with the first few seasons of Doctor Who because they were on Netflix at the time. So we only started buying at the point we started watching so we could watch them as they came out. 

We aren't happy with Netflix, selection is not the greatest and price just increased. Dh asked me to check Amazon prime and I was chuckling, since when I think of "prime" it's 2 day shipping 😂.

But, he said you can also stream shows and movies through Amazon??

Does anyone use this service? How does it work? Is it a flat fee or you pay per movie? Is it the same "prime" as the fast shipping or is it a different service? Do they have a good selection??

He asked me to look into it and I just gave him my puzzled look 😵. If he wants me to pay for faster shipping? Fine... I I'll make the sacrifice 😅😅.

Is anyone familiar with their streaming service? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, I'm late to this thread, but we have had Prime for years.  It's pretty cool. You don't have everything, but there is certainly always something to watch.  ALL movies and TV shows that are "Prime" are FREE with your subscription which you are paying to get the faster shipping anyway. 

It all depends on what you are looking for.   Netflix is hands down better for streaming, IMHO.

We have had and loved Netflix for years, and last year decided to try Prime when they were running a special price.

I am not impressed with Prime.  The picture streams less clearly, the search function is difficult to use, and Prime doesn't offer the sheer amount that Netflix offers.   I also have found the 2 day shipping not to be that great.   Some things take longer than 2 days, much longer is some cases, some things I have to pay shipping for anyway.   Items on Prime are more expensive than other places a lot more times than I expected.  The whole thing is very convoluted.     

I think Netflix is a great deal even for $10 a month, and is plenty for us.   I also think that $99 a year for Prime is not unreasonable if you're going to use the shipping a lot.   And those 2 plus Hulu are still less than cable every month!

Edited by Zebra

• 2 weeks later...

It does, but only the last few and DH doesn't keep up so he would miss them. I also have a great dislike for commercials and didn't realize hulu had a higher price plan for no commercials until a few days ago. But I like to have them to rewatch and this way DH can see them once he gets to them. 

We don't own the first two seasons of Arrow because they were on Netflix before I started watching. Same with the first few seasons of Doctor Who because they were on Netflix at the time. So we only started buying at the point we started watching so we could watch them as they came out. 

You might want to look into doing what I did.  I built a PVR (Personal Video Recorder), from one of the builds that this guy recommends.  http://mymediaexperience.com/.   Then for $50, I got the software PlayLater with adSkip.   

A PVR is basically just a computer that is hooked to your TV.   The preferred parts are slightly different than a desktop though.  For example, you want it to be quiet and without lights.  The video card needs to be pretty amazing.   Hard drive needs to be reliable but not fast.  That guy with the mymediaexperience website knows his stuff.  My TV is 4K, so I built the performance version, otherwise I would have gone with the value version.  

WIth PlayLater with AdSkip, you record stuff from streaming sites.  It records in real time, so as far as the streaming site is concerned, you are sitting there watching it.  You can tell it to record in the wee hours when no one is using the internet.   Then, when you watch the recorded show you have the option to play with AdSkip.   The most you see of the ads is occasionally a split second of the commercial, usually just a  black screen for a second.   Commercials were really really bothering me.   We used the DVR on a satellite.  But, DH and I would sometimes quibble about who had to 'run the remote'.   That $50 for PlayLater is Lifetime, not yearly.  To record stuff on streaming, you can either record individual shows, or you 'subscribe' to a folder on a streaming site and it automatically records any new shows that appear.   Then they just appear as available in your list of recorded shows.  I'll sometimes record from Hulu and Netflix.  I like having everything in one place, and knowing it won't disappear.   

Other cool thing about recording the streaming, this last weekend Hulu had free Showtime access.   So, we recorded some movies and the entire "The Borgias" show.  

Prime also gives you a free Kindle book a month (to borrow, I think), Prime music streaming and download.  We have both, rarely watch Prime streaming and the only one who streams Netflix is the 6 year old, but it's worth it.  We do use Prime music and it's a race between my son and I for the free book every month.

Prime also gives you a free Kindle book a month (to borrow, I think), Prime music streaming and download.  We have both, rarely watch Prime streaming and the only one who streams Netflix is the 6 year old, but it's worth it.  We do use Prime music and it's a race between my son and I for the free book every month.

I am impressed. I've never found a book in the 'free to borrow' section that I wanted to read. To be fair, I haven't looked in ages and ages. But when it first started it mostly seemed to be cheap ebooks about smoothies and stuff written by people who vanity published.  There seemed to be a lot of back and forth between the .99 ebooks and the 'free to borrow' list.

Are they now offering stuff that isn't part of the 'direct to ebook' market and has maybe been through a professional editor? because that might be interesting.

We have amazon prime, Netflix and pureflix. We use prime enough to keep it, but not enough to justify using it as only a movie streaming service. We did a free trial with pureflix and didn't cancel, but likely will. Most titles that we are interested in we've seen or are available elsewhere. I cant remember the last time dh and I were excited about a Netflix movie. The kids like it alright.

Amazon will only have one thing of interest to me.   The next Doctor Who season.  From the article I read, it sounds it will be available to Prime members.   Although, that still isn't enough to make me want to get Prime.   I get the Prime Shipping because somehow mine is a child account of my parent's.   the child prime account doesn't get streaming.