Menu

Learning to read options

lulalu

I am having a hard time picking a curriculum for phonics. I keep thinking I have it.

I would prefer digital copies so I don't end up paying overseas shipping. I dont want curriculum tied to writing ability.

What options are there?

We have successfully used (and loved) Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. It's just one book. No bells and whistles, however we did decide to use a magnetic letter board to go with it. Depending on where you live, you can order it from Amazon. Are you in Europe? If so, you can order from any of the European Amazon sites. I just checked and I see it on the UK site.

• Like 1

This curriculum is free and digital. You just download and then print what you want or need. Each unit has a Teacher Guide, a Reader and a Workbook. I did not print the pages in the Teacher Guide or Workbook that I really didn't need. Yes, that meant actually scrolling through all the pages and printing in singles or small groups, but I saved tons of paper and toner that way. I printed, three hole punched and then kept the "books" in binders. My oldest DD loved this curriculum and got a good solid grounding in phonics, spelling, handwriting, etc. I am now using it with another DD who also LOVES it.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla-files#!/kindergarten/skills

• Like 1

This curriculum is free and digital. You just download and then print what you want or need. Each unit has a Teacher Guide, a Reader and a Workbook. I did not print the pages in the Teacher Guide or Workbook that I really didn't need. Yes, that meant actually scrolling through all the pages and printing in singles or small groups, but I saved tons of paper and toner that way. I printed, three hole punched and then kept the "books" in binders. My oldest DD loved this curriculum and got a good solid grounding in phonics, spelling, handwriting, etc. I am now using it with another DD who also LOVES it.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/ckla-files#!/kindergarten/skills

We used this for my first. It is VERY thorough. I also let her do Reading Eggs for fun practice and reinforcement.

I'm finding it a lot easier to just use Phonics Pathways with #2 though-- writing is recommended but optional.

We are currently and successfully using The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. There may be a digital option available. Most people write the lessons words on paper or a white board anyways.

We also use Progressive Phonics which is fabulous for learning and building fluency.

Dd also plays the iPad app Teach Your Monster to Read which has been fantastic for her.

I will have to look at Core Knowledge. I haven't seen that one.

I looked at OPGTR before but maybe I should look again. It has a digital copy. It just seems to not always have good reviews. Although there are many that seem to love it.

OPGTR is easy to implement and all in one book.  :-)  I enjoyed it and when we used it.  

Another "digital" idea if you don't mind electronics is using Reading Eggs.  My son taught himself to read just by reading on his own and playing around with Reading Eggs a few times a week.  You can use Reading Eggs for a full phonics program and can go into the teacher's section see where your child is and can work on the special sounds where your child is at using any way that might help.  (flash cards, games, etc.)  I should be a spokesperson for them.   :laugh:

HTH 

• Like 1

I think the Ordinary Parent's Guide is a great book.  We wound up switching from it becuase my son leveled out on it, but I think if we had just let things percolate it would have worked fine.  It is a single volume, use for multiple years/kids, nonconsumable, and very easy to implement.  We wound up using Dancing Bears, which is 3 books for the series and is from the UK -- although it is printed on demand in the states.  It's also a great program.  But if I was overseas I would have probably just stuck with OPGTR!

Best,

LMC

Word Mastery from Don Potter is free online. I combine Blend Phonics with the Webster's Speller that Rosie linked, I like the way Blend Phonics teaches 1 syllable words better than Webster, but I love the syllables and 2+ syllable words. Blend Phonics goes to a first grade level, Word Mastery to 3rd, OPG to 4th, Webster's Speller to a 12th grade level.