Menu

Craft ideas for elementary boys

Janie Grace

My 9yo ds is super crafty. Last summer, he was really into paracord bracelets. He has had an origami phase, God's eyes kick, Rainbow loom obsession ("boy colors" only)... and he's always painting or drawing. I need something new for him to get into this summer. Any ideas? Things involving glitter or pom-poms are "too girly" to him, so think manly crafts. ;)

Look at the cub scout manual.  It will have lots of idea.  You also might see if he likes working with clay or carpentry.  Making puppets and marionettes is cool too.

It's been a long time since I've had a 9 yo boy but that's what I remember us gravitating to when they were going through crafty periods.

• Like 1

My guys have enjoyed Klutz Pipe Cleaner books, 3D/Geometric origami, shrinky dinks, and rolls of duct tape (I looked at, but never have purchased because they find enough stuff to do with rolls of duct tape, this book:  https://smile.amazon.com/Knight-Book-Warfare-Duct-Tape/dp/1942006071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466794679&sr=8-1&keywords=duct+tape+knight).

Does he like Star Wars? My kids are getting ready to make Star Wars pillows this afternoon out of some of their old t-shirts. They got the idea from The Star Wars Craft Book.

Seconding the duct tape idea too. Both my older boys have duct tape wallets that they made themselves.

Edited by BarbecueMom

My 9yo ds is super crafty. Last summer, he was really into paracord bracelets. He has had an origami phase, God's eyes kick, Rainbow loom obsession ("boy colors" only)... and he's always painting or drawing. I need something new for him to get into this summer. Any ideas? Things involving glitter or pom-poms are "too girly" to him, so think manly crafts. ;)

duct tape crafts? I've seen a kit for duct tape wallets, for example.

Also paper airplanes

If he likes drawing/coloring or models there are these things called Color Blanks you can get at Hobby Lobby. They have everything from Super Heros to surf boards and piggy banks. They go on sale for 30% off quite regularly. They can draw and decorate their own figures- it's cooler than in making it sound! . It sounds simply but seems to occupy all three of my kids for hours. The only thing I wish I could figure out is how to erase them! We tried using washable markers and it just make a mess. Stick with the perm markers they provide in the kits. Anyway- my kids love them. I haven't found them anywhere except Hobby Lobby and Amazon though and HL is much cheaper.

ETA link- Mega Brands Pets Color Blanks With 2 Bonus Pens (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U0LZUM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wWyBxbKZVKANZ

Edited by texasmom33

If you don't mind weaponry, making dagorhair weapons is both crafty and very boy-ish. IME, kids of all ages and genders love the stuff. Just be sure you google up the safety-related rules for using the weapons and enforce them . . . My teens still play with the dozens of weapons they made years ago, and we've never had an injury, despite dozens/hundreds of wild weaponry fights in the yard involving many kids. 

My boys liked working with leather - 'they' sell kits (key fobs, moccasins, wallets, belts) or you can do your own thing with scraps. My boys would often punch leather and color it, then make something with it. For awhile we had a ridiculous amount of pouches and leather bracelets LOL. The tools can get pricey but for $20 and a 40-50% off coupon to most major craft stores you can get enough tools to work with. I also bought old leather bags and belts at thrift stores for them to use and rip apart.

All of my kids have liked whittling - a great knife, a few supervised lessons (or YouTube?) and tons of bar soap! My daughter preferred to whittle wood, so she was always collecting branches in the yard and making shivs, which ... well, she has a lot of older brothers who expose her to things I wish they didn't and I'll leave it at that!  She still always has her pocket knife on her and when bored at the park or something she'll pick something up; it appears therapeutic for her.

Does your 9 year old have a close friend or sibling he can 'fight' with? Mine used to make cardboard and duct tape weaponry. There are probably similar project ideas in SOTW activity books but we bought some CDs at a homeschool conference about ten years ago that still get heavy use. Looks like they're still around, but now only in book or ebook format: https://www.warfarebyducttape.com/

Since your son likes to paint and draw, what about peg dolls? They parts aren't terribly pricey (~ $1 or less per doll when bought in bulk; also on Amazon) and paint is easy to find for under $1 at WM and hobby stores. Brushes needn't be pricey and he probably already has some. He can do the family, sports teams, super heroes, ... we've done saints, mostly, but also People In Our Community (firefighters, mailmen, etc.) as a gift for younger cousins. We like to put on a movie or music while we sit and paint. Lots of ideas on Pinterest and in blogs. It's not an overtly masculine craft, but I have mostly teen boys and they all get excited when I break out the dolls to paint LOL.

Paper airplane books.

Maybe start him on whittling... He can start with a butter knife and a bar of soap.

Our neighbor boy used to make birdhouses and then sell them with his parents at a little stand on the side of the road when he got to many for $10 a piece. People loved buying from a young entrepreneur!

You could start teaching him to cook. It's not crafty but it is a good hands on activity.

He could build gnome homes (instead of fairy gardens)

Wood burning art.

Ditto on the duct tape art.

Give him a corner of your yard to landscape and tend.

Wind homes from found materials.