Menu

UPDATE in original post: In the ER with ds and I'm so worried they won't find anything wrong

speedmom4

It is egregious that when his symptoms persisted and worsened and conventional treatments weren't working that they didn't do any additional imaging. Frustrating! But I'm SO glad you have answers now and hopefully it's all better from here.

UPDATE: Thank you all for the concern and prayers. I am so incredibly thankful that the ER did a CT scan and found the intussusception. He had surgery within a few hours. Our son is 14 so it's pretty rare to find in a child his age. It turned out to be quite large, approximately 18" in length. The surgeon had never seen one so large. Thankfully he was able to pull it out laporascopically. He found the lead point was a Meckel's diverticulum. Very unusual as well.

What has me so upset is that my son has had vomiting and pain issues his entire life but not one doc has ever ordered a CT scan. What's worse is that early Wednesday morning we went to a different hospital and they sent him home even when he was clearly still so very sick. I even took him to the pediatrician on Thursday because he couldn't keep the the Zofran down. I'm so glad I trusted my gut that the docs were all wrong and that something was wrong. It could have been disastrous. Thank you all!

Oh wow! 18"! My son had a small intussusception when he was about 3. It came on suddenly and I took him to the ER - they did an air enema with xray to diagnose it, and it resolved it as well. I can't imagine living with a huge one for so long. I hope he is amazed at how WELL he finally feels!

• Like 1

Oh wow! 18"! My son had a small intussusception when he was about 3. It came on suddenly and I took him to the ER - they did an air enema with xray to diagnose it, and it resolved it as well. I can't imagine living with a huge one for so long. I hope he is amazed at how WELL he finally feels!

I'm learning more than I ever wanted to know about intuccesception! It is actually quite common in children 3 and under but extremely unusual in older children and adults. That is why it has been so hard to diagnose. Glad your son is ok as well!

• Like 1

I'm learning more than I ever wanted to know about intuccesception! It is actually quite common in children 3 and under but extremely unusual in older children and adults. That is why it has been so hard to diagnose. Glad your son is ok as well!

So this surgery should resolve all issues? If that's the case, what a relief for you both. Hopefully he'll start packing on the pounds!

speedmom4, I'd write out what you have told us, a clear detailed account of what it took to uncover the intuccesception, and take it with you to any further medical visits, in particular ER visits, to prove to any new doctors that, yes, there can be something dangerously wrong and they need to do a CT scan stat! 

• Like 2

speedmom4, I'd write out what you have told us, a clear detailed account of what it took to uncover the intuccesception, and take it with you to any further medical visits, in particular ER visits, to prove to any new doctors that, yes, there can be something dangerously wrong and they need to do a CT scan stat!

This is a fantastic idea. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Edited by speedmom4