Menu

Share your favorite educational games, please

kokotg

Because Christmas is coming, and my kids love games.

The kids I'm thinking of are 5 and 7, and I'd love stuff to reinforce just basic skills (grammar, reading, spelling, math, etc) and also specific topics we're covering: American history, Bible (without a particular theological slant, preferably), and Spanish. We're also doing Chemistry, but I don't know that there's much out there for kids their age.

TIA!

We really enjoy Professor Noggins--there's almost every subject you can imagine!

Strangely enough, my kids love to "play" Brain Quest. You basically ask questions on the cards and they answer. No board or anything...its almost like a quiz--but they like it. I don't know why!

We also liked Action Dragon--it's a fun, silly "grammar game" to make up sentences from words in colour coded categories.

My daughter (who likes games more than my son) also really enjoyed The Secret Door--it's a memory game.

And, of course, there's always Junior Scrabble!

I don't know how "educational" it is, but my ds6(7 on Friday) loves to play backgammon with me. I am of the opinion that almost any board game can be educational because it teaches to take turns, sportsmanship, most involve counting of some sort, some strategy.

The most educational game we all like to play is yahtzee, although it takes a long time with kids...I need to see if there's a jr yahtzz. It really helps them with mental addition, IMO.

Read, Write, and Type is very fun, my daughter didn't realize it was educational for about 8 months, she asked permission to "play" it just like she would ask for watching a movie or playing Webkinz online.

She now realizes it's educational, but still occasionally plays it--but she now knows all the sounds and spellings it teaches already. They also have one for older students, "Wordy Querty." We may have to download the free trial and see if we like it.

http://www.talkingfingers.com/

It's a bit pricey, but you can try a free demo.

I have a free phonics game that you can try, it's very popular with K - 6 at least, and even my adult remedial students appreciate it as a break, although they don't get as excited when they win as my elementary students:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Check out Ticket to Ride...I think it is a great one for thinking.

Also, we picked up a fun game this fall called Man Eats Dog....you have to create crazy but sensible(yes, it is possible!) headlines....sort of like headlines you would see on crazy tabloids!

Definitely Scrabble and they have a Shrek version if your kids are into themes. Get a themed Monopoly game...my oldest son loves Andy Griffith so we bought that as a birthday gift!

We just exchanged a duplicate birthday gift for Castle logix. It has been addictive for my dd5 as well as my husband & I. I also recently saw in a catalog that there is a more advanced set with more variations. I was thinking about that for Christmas around here.

Basically they give you a picture of a castle and you have to build it with the seven pieces that you are given.

for math, monopoly, equate, and knockout/muggins are great.

for other skills, try mighty minds, super mighty minds, qwirkle, and especially mastermind. get the five-across set

get a copy of the mindware catalog, i am drooling over most of it this week!