Menu

Planning regrets....or maybe a mini panic?

ByGrace3

Ok, I am sure I am being dramatic. I finally have everything planned out for next year (and mostly purchased at this point!) and I am beginning to second guess and question everything! I cannot be the only one to ever have this happen...Anyone care to alleviate my fears? Or perhaps tell me, yes you are crazy. Return those books and try this instead!  :leaving:

My biggest concern is with my oldest. We had the best year ever last year, and I am going with a much more traditional line up for next year because it is 6th grade and I feel as though we should, but at the same time I want to be sure she doesn't burn out and still enjoys learning. She is a super diligent, get it done kid who thrives independently and likes to do things without me because my timing isn't always her timing with two other kids needing my attention. ;) I tried to cater to that this year,  but I already miss her and we haven't started it yet! :lol: I am ridiculous right?!? 

Here is the 6th grade line up:

MM 6

LA:

EW1 with WTMA

AG

MegaWords 3-4

Reading and reasoning 

MP grade 6 lit

VP self paced MARR with literature 

AIG plants, human body, and animals with a slant (I am using the AIG books as a base and planning a lot of fun hands on and zoo time, and planting a garden with their dad)

Middlebury Interactive Spanish (middle school 1)

• Like 1

Could you give an idea of what things you have changed from this year?

I don't personally think you have to completely change things just because you are going into a specific grade. If I change things, it is because something isn't working. Or, I make it a gradual change, such as two subject areas per year (which will get you changed over by 9th grade, if that is your goal). Plus, if it doesn't work, you only need to fix 2 subjects and not everything.

Duh. I should have just looked at your sig. (In my defense, I was on the mobile site the first time I replied & couldn't see your sig.) (Edited to add that I also found your planning thread from last year for this dd.)

dd 10 MM 5, LA through Narnia, Reading and Reasoning, R&S Spelling, VP Self Paced NTGR, Middlebury Interactive Spanish, piano, team gymnastics

So, you are keeping Reading & Reasoning, continuing with VP Self Paced & Middlebury Interactie Spanish.

You are changing your LA line up and what you are using for Spelling (plus adding a fun science)?

Does she like to read? You have both MP lit & VP's associated lit. Do you need both?

Did she already do MegaWords? (DD#1 & I disliked Megawords. I found it tough for her to do independently - which is why I bought it - and she wasn't retaining/learning anything. But I've found that I'm one of the few that felt this way, so...)

I think 6th is a great year to do WWS1 and the online class makes it much easier for her to do independently. I was going to put my rising 6th grader into EW1 this year, but decided to hold off because of all the new instructors. If Kayla would have been staying, I probably would have had her do the class this year.)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

That looks like A LOT of LA. As in, way too many components and time spent on LA. My son is dyslexic and is using Megawords 3 right now (going into 8th grade). It's an excellent program, but a proficient speller (if your dd is) should be past MW 3 and 4. What I have found is that if we have too many components per subject, it starts to feel disjointed and lacking focus, and 6th grade is a time when (imo) things should begin to be streamlined and integrated.

Were it me, I would pick 2 resources for language arts and let the rest go. You can't do everything, and that's ok. You don't have to. If you don't do grammar two lit programs this year, it's fine. You can use the writing she does in EW1 for applied grammar and spelling without needing separate resources.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 1

Really? It didn't strike me as that heavy. I'm not familiar with Megawords at all, and I'll assume the writing course is meaty, but overall this would have been very doable for mine last school year.

LA:

EW1 with WTMA

AG

MegaWords 3-4

Reading and reasoning 

MP grade 6 lit

-Writing ought to be solid.

-AG for a 6th grader is only 10 weeks worth of work if done at full speed, and probably 10-15 minutes a day if you take those ten weeks at half speed.

-Spelling can't take that long.

-Reading and Reasoning is less than ten minutes a day too, and more logic than language arts really. It could even wait until after the AG season is finished if needed.

-MP literature has four books, and VP history usually has around six that range in difficulty from very easy to somewhat challenging.

Ok, I am sure I am being dramatic. I finally have everything planned out for next year (and mostly purchased at this point!) and I am beginning to second guess and question everything! :leaving:

I just wanted to say THAT is exactly how I roll.  I start planning the previous January, sketching out ideas.  By March and April I'm nailing it down.  Then I start buying stuff.  I type up and print out my plans on nice paper.  I bind it.  I love it.  I think how awesome it is going to be.  Then one month into summer I second guess everything. I panic.   Start changing things.  Retype my new plans. . . . This summer I'm even questioning my entire philosophy of education and reading more books on education. 

Then I August the new edition of The Well Trained Mind will arrive in my mailbox and I will begin to self-doubt all over again.  Good times.

Edited by lorisuewho
  • Like 8

we just had a pretty good year.  Had to make serious changes mid year for my boy, but it forced him into a good place in regards to expectations.  I had plans all set for next year.  I just bought a second math program.  Kids are both doing geometry, but now different programs.  What the h*ll was I thinking?   I dropped the tutor already. Pretty sure I can't go back now.  

I rarely panic, but this year I did.  And made a panic choice.  But we will try it.  I can always change again in December right?

• Like 2

Good thoughts and comments.

Staying the same: Math, history, VP lit (we do most as readers), Spanish, Reading and Reasoning (more pre-logic than LA)

Changes:

I am adding MP Lit--Only 4 books and we will read aloud and I will only do pieces of the lit guides with both dd and ds. This will take the place of Narnia which we did this year-- I don't anticipate any problems here. 

MegaWords- dd completed AAS 1-4, R&S 4- most of 6, and I am not seeing great retention with R&S. I wasn't quite sure where to place her with MegaWords so thought 3 might be a good place? I could be off there. I bought 1-4 (2-4 are not here yet) because I am also planning to start my ds in book 1. 

WWS 1- I hope this is a good addition. I am a little nervous about this being the first online class, but she has done well with what writing she has done-- mostly BW style and mom directed stuff. She went through TC and I had her work on note taking, outlines, and small essays this past year. 

AG- She completed FLL1-half of 4. Last year we did parsing from Narnia copywork and reverse dictation to work on mechanics. She also completed part of IEW Fix It book 1 which she found pretty easy. She needs a year of formal grammar. Doing this over 3 years should keep it quite manageable.

Science- we have done something different every year. I wish I could find something I love enough to continue. 

I don't think she will have any problem with any of this per say, I think my mind is the problem. I tend to toggle between my fantasy homeschool and a traditional academic pursuit. As they get older I think I lack the confidence to let go of what I think they "should" be doing. Also particularly for this child, she has such a "I want to get done" attitude that I fear I would frustrate her with more involved processes. I also know homeschooling 3 has been a challenge. I know this line up will get done. I know she will be academically on task and I won't have to worry about if we are doing enough  . . .at least I think! :lol: But....it seems so ....traditional. Part of me fears I am short changing her and should be doing more because I can...

I don't see anything to be alarmed over. You have all major bases covered. It seems balanced and certainly not too heavy.  :001_smile:

The only thing that pinged my radar is if she's accustomed to less traditional methods, that looks very.... standard. Maybe she's super excited about those topics though. I'm looking through the lenses of my 10.75 year old daughter (academically aggressive and somewhat intense); she would raise an eyebrow at me and say, "That's it?" But you have an entirely different kid and I'm probably not being very helpful. :tongue_smilie:

That is helpful. Ok so not too heavy. Next...is it enough??? :lol: She is a good student but deals with self doubt especially in math. She also is a competitive gymnast and works out at the gym 19 hours a week. 

I know her schedule is full, but I am not interested in backing off on academics for gymnastics that may or may not be there in a year or two. At the same time, that has been part of my willingness to give her more independence as she wants so that she is able to get more done on her time and have some free time before afternoon practice. 

MegaWords- dd completed AAS 1-4, R&S 4- most of 6, and I am not seeing great retention with R&S. I wasn't quite sure where to place her with MegaWords so thought 3 might be a good place? I could be off there. I bought 1-4 (2-4 are not here yet) because I am also planning to start my ds in book 1. 

There is a placement test of some sort . . . perhaps in the TM for one of the books? I was told that one of the reasons that we both hated MW & that she didn't see any improvement was that I put her in the wrong level.  :mellow: I doubt that putting her in one of the later books would have helped, :leaving: but you might want to keep that in mind.  :driving:

OK ... coming from a background as a public school teacher and a public school mom... Now homeschooling.

TRY TO STOP WORRYING. Most kids will do fine with whatever curriculum they get. Sure one of the advantages of homeschooling is getting to tailor your kids' curriculum but it's also a crazy stressor I'm seeing among homeschooling parents.  Most parents don't know what curriculum their schooled kids are using, they use "Your Math Book" and generally it turns out okay. Sure there are exceptions ... but most kids are pretty adaptable.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 4

That is helpful. Ok so not too heavy. Next...is it enough??? :lol: She is a good student but deals with self doubt especially in math. She also is a competitive gymnast and works out at the gym 19 hours a week. 

I know her schedule is full, but I am not interested in backing off on academics for gymnastics that may or may not be there in a year or two. At the same time, that has been part of my willingness to give her more independence as she wants so that she is able to get more done on her time and have some free time before afternoon practice. 

From listening to your further posts it does sound like a good balance for yours. :)

Which of those is she excited about? I'd probably channel some unit study type extras that way to keep her engaged.  (This is a vital necessity with mine. One or two subjects must have hands on, activities, projects, paper dolls to dress historically accurate, something engaging beyond the book, or she will self implode.)

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

I just wanted to say THAT is exactly how I roll.  I start planning the previous January, sketching out ideas.  By March and April I'm nailing it down.  Then I start buying stuff.  I type up and print out my plans on nice paper.  I bind it.  I love it.  I think how awesome it is going to be.  Then one month into summer I second guess everything. I panic.   Start changing things.  Retype my new plans. . . . This summer I'm even questioning my entire philosophy of education and reading more books on education. 

Then I August the new edition of The Well Trained Mind will arrive in my mailbox and I will begin to self-doubt all over again.  Good times.

This is pretty much me.

I keep thinking *this* will be the summer I chill out and let my plans sit and don't think about them all summer long til it's time to start up again in August.

But that has, alas, once again not occurred.

ETA: I blame these boards. :lol:

Edited by Momto5inIN
  • Like 3

Ok, I am sure I am being dramatic. I finally have everything planned out for next year (and mostly purchased at this point!) and I am beginning to second guess and question everything! I cannot be the only one to ever have this happen...Anyone care to alleviate my fears? Or perhaps tell me, yes you are crazy. Return those books and try this instead!  :leaving:

My biggest concern is with my oldest. We had the best year ever last year, and I am going with a much more traditional line up for next year because it is 6th grade and I feel as though we should, but at the same time I want to be sure she doesn't burn out and still enjoys learning. She is a super diligent, get it done kid who thrives independently and likes to do things without me because my timing isn't always her timing with two other kids needing my attention. ;) I tried to cater to that this year,  but I already miss her and we haven't started it yet! :lol: I am ridiculous right?!? 

Here is the 6th grade line up:

MM 6

LA:

EW1 with WTMA

AG

MegaWords 3-4

Reading and reasoning 

MP grade 6 lit

AIG plants, human body, and animals with a slant (I am using the AIG books as a base and planning a lot of fun hands on and zoo time, and planting a garden with their dad)

Middlebury Interactive Spanish (middle school 1)

Well, I don't think I have any good advice for you, since I feel the same way about my oldest (also 6th grade in the fall). I, too, am going back and forth on the "too tough, too easy" seesaw. :willy_nilly:

I also understand the feeling of "already miss her." You know, Nicole, we are transitioning ourselves, not just our children. We are moving away from a great deal of that direct, one-on-one, teacher-actually-teaching role. In the next three years, the torch will pass, I think. We have to find other ways to connect to our daughters, to reassure them (and ourselves) that, as we serve them less and less in a direct teaching capacity, we are still there for them as mothers.

I had a sudden thought this morning: Why is there a subforum called "Middle Grade Challenges" if it isn't challenging? LOL. Perhaps it's this stage in between the straightforward, teacher-intensive early years and the turning over of the subjects to outsourcing or self-study in high school -- perhaps it is this middle stage that really is the hardest to navigate, to know that what we are doing is "right." I do go around and around with it all: Will this burn her out? Will this prepare her for the next level?

At least for me, this planning season has been the hardest, with the most uncertainty. And, honestly? I told my husband just this morning, "I still don't have it." I have the "stuff," for sure. I can go ahead in the next few weeks and plan it all out, no problem. I mean, the next level of Math is the next level of Math, Grammar is Grammar, whatever, so that's fairly basic. But do I have a sense of confident clarity, a sense of being dialed in? No, I do not have that this time around. Truth be told, I am still waiting on the Lord for that wisdom and peace.

How do we know how to lead our children where we are not going ourselves? How do we transfer that leadership (which we have lovingly provided) to the child and to the Holy Spirit? I begin to see that the real need of the hour is to wait at the Cross for our own transformation and to bathe our children in the deepest intercessory prayer.

So, no real advice, but if empathy helps... :001_rolleyes:

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 6

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Precisely how I feel. My oldest is entering 7th and I am completely at a loss. Yes, I have the curricula, the ideas, the books but the confidence of when to back down and when to push and when to pull and when to... I have to rely upon God because honestly, I might lose my mind otherwise. We are transitioning just as much as they are. This is new and uncharted waters for me, pray without ceasing sisters.

Well, I don't think I have any good advice for you, since I feel the same way about my oldest (also 6th grade in the fall). I, too, am going back and forth on the "too tough, too easy" seesaw. :willy_nilly:

I also understand the feeling of "already miss her." You know, Nicole, we are transitioning ourselves, not just our children. We are moving away from a great deal of that direct, one-on-one, teacher-actually-teaching role. In the next three years, the torch will pass, I think. We have to find other ways to connect to our daughters, to reassure them (and ourselves) that, as we serve them less and less in a direct teaching capacity, we are still there for them as mothers.

I had a sudden thought this morning: Why is there a subforum called "Middle Grade Challenges" if it isn't challenging? LOL. Perhaps it's this stage in between the straightforward, teacher-intensive early years and the turning over of the subjects to outsourcing or self-study in high school -- perhaps it is this middle stage that really is the hardest to navigate, to know that what we are doing is "right." I do go around and around with it all: Will this burn her out? Will this prepare her for the next level?

At least for me, this planning season has been the hardest, with the most uncertainty. And, honestly? I told my husband just this morning, "I still don't have it." I have the "stuff," for sure. I can go ahead in the next few weeks and plan it all out, no problem. I mean, the next level of Math is the next level of Math, Grammar is Grammar, whatever, so that's fairly basic. But do I have a sense of confident clarity, a sense of being dialed in? No, I do not have that this time around. Truth be told, I am still waiting on the Lord for that wisdom and peace.

How do we know how to lead our children where we are not going ourselves? How do we transfer that leadership (which we have lovingly provided) to the child and to the Holy Spirit? I begin to see that the real need of the hour is to wait at the Cross for our own transformation and to bathe our children in the deepest intercessory prayer.

So, no real advice, but if empathy helps... :001_rolleyes:

Edited by SFM
  • Like 4